By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSWii both LESS than 30K in Japan....I'm VERY Worried about consoles!

JGarret said:
Why is it Japan has truly embraced handhelds over home consoles?...I mean, in other markets the DS still beats other systems just like in Japan, but it´s not like that has severely stopped people from buying home consoles....it´s more like "hey the DS and/or PSP is a good system to go along with a PS3/Wii/360/whatever"..while in Japan they really see handheld as a complete substitute.

Japanese spend more time commuting in Subways/train than any other nation...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@carl

I have no idea

ioi said Wii could go UP next week

I was confident PS3 would stay over 30K

all hopes are dashed

Well wasn't the Wii ~32k last week? So it wasn't that much of a drop for it down 3K after that initial spike.

Were you really expecting the PS3 to stay above 30k in Japan? I've already Slim PS3's in used game shops over here...

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

every japanese person should buy 20 PS3 and play them all at once!

I don't see any problem on Ps3 dropping there since it has had great weeks, but Wii after Wii fit plus and price drop.
Then again Wii fit + unlikely will sell much to new owners of Wii.

Take my love, take my land..

I dont think the japanese like gaming anymore.

Around the Network

Are you kidding me? Did you even think about what the number was normally at this time before you posted? Last year wii sold 22k and ps3 sold 8k this week. Back in 04 the ps2 sold 26k and the gc sold 5k. This is about the slowest time of the year in Japan, welcome to reality. In reality this week was really good for consoles.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Ail...yeah, but hasn´t this been the case for a very long time?..that didn´t stop the PS2/PS1/SNES, etc...from having major success over there.

But this gen, home consoles took a major hit in the territory.

Wasn't everyone expecting the PS3 to fall back down to the 20K's after the third week anyways? I can't see why anyone is worried now when the system is doing MUCH better than everyone had anticipated. The Wii is a different story and if the release of NSMB Wii along with the already released Wii Fit+ don't pent up demand then how would Nintendo go about selling it to a more mature audience?

Relax, its only October. When December comes by it'll be a different story.

While it is highly probable that external factors (i.e., the typhoon) affected these numbers, the overall downward trend of console sales in Japan cannot be dismissed.

Furthermore, this trend could cripple Japanese software developers who seem slow to change -- meaning they tend to design some games with only the Japanese audience in mind and don't like to release games outside of Japan.

It is amazing how many games don't leave there, given that it is now less than one-sixth the global market.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV