By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just got another 3 stars on Mario F*ing Kart

Red4ADevil said:
angrypoolman said:
Red4ADevil said:
I know how yah feel I too get SO PISSED. The rubber band effect is whats keeping me from getting three stars; that causes all of my problems that keep me from staying in first place. But so far i have 2 stars next to my name. I will get all three stars but right now my instructers and professors are killing me with all the homework they're giving me. Right now im using Mario with the sugarscoot; its a change from using the Standad Bike M and it actually helps. I cant use the mach bikes the drift is too sharp, im not used to them.

ok yea, i have tried using mach bikes and tried to get used to it but i just CANT! thats what everyone says to use. but i am going to try the sugarscoot now because you used to be a standard bike m user like me, and if it helps you, itll probably help me since we have pretty much the same experience going here.

It should help, I picked it mainly because of its high acceleration

I need something with high weight too because IM FUCKING TIRED OF GETTING KNOCKED THE FUCK AROUND EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
hsrob said:

I also really liked the Nitro Bike, it's not as maneuverable as the Bowser Bike but it is faster and has slightly better acceleration.  Good for cups where there are tracks with long straights, it allows you to get in the lead from the start and barring major errors, stay there.

I also have to disagree with the controller choice, it might work for you but having used all (except CC) extensively, i've settled on the Wii-mote nunchuk combo as the best.  The problem with the GC controller comes from having to move your hand from the analogue to the d-pad.  It makes it harder to quickly and repeatedly perform wheelies, especially coming out of corners or on slight bends.  Also it's very difficult to avoid POW blocks on anything other than a straight for the same reason.

edit: I also have a feeling that the star rating is heavily determined by % of time in first place, as it's the only stat given in your profile that seems consistent with my experience of earning stars.  Not sure if anyone else agrees.

This stat in the profile shows the percentage of races you won out of the total you played, not for how long you had the lead while playing.

But once again, it's all about winning all four races in a cup and doing it with a low total time. Any other advice is just a consequence of aiming for those two things (like not touching obstacles, falling off, staying in the lead as long as possible, etc.) and if you are really good at the game you can allow yourself to make a mistake here and there and still get a low enough total time for the three stars ranking.

@TWRoO: Sneakster all the way.

Having a second look at it i'm also certain you are correct because the stat is below your total number of wins, but it does say "% Race Time in first place". This could be a subtlety lost in the initial translation, but this would not be the best way to state the percent of races finished in first place.

Anyway, as you said it's pretty much immaterial. It's all about finishing all races as fast as you can.

@TWRoO: just checked.  Nitro does have a slight edge in acceleration.

I use Peach and the Mach Bike.

I have three stars and a 9999 VR if that matters to you.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I use Rosalina and the Flame Runner. That thing rocks. I got all 3 stars, even on mirrored.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

angrypoolman said:
Red4ADevil said:
angrypoolman said:
Red4ADevil said:
I know how yah feel I too get SO PISSED. The rubber band effect is whats keeping me from getting three stars; that causes all of my problems that keep me from staying in first place. But so far i have 2 stars next to my name. I will get all three stars but right now my instructers and professors are killing me with all the homework they're giving me. Right now im using Mario with the sugarscoot; its a change from using the Standad Bike M and it actually helps. I cant use the mach bikes the drift is too sharp, im not used to them.

ok yea, i have tried using mach bikes and tried to get used to it but i just CANT! thats what everyone says to use. but i am going to try the sugarscoot now because you used to be a standard bike m user like me, and if it helps you, itll probably help me since we have pretty much the same experience going here.

I need something with high weight too because IM FUCKING TIRED OF GETTING KNOCKED THE FUCK AROUND EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get used to one of the bikes we have been telling you to use though, you should be a lot better.

The difference is that the standard bike and such all make an outstep when you drift. so to hit the apex of a corner you have to start the drift well before the corner.
The Mach bike, Nitrobike, Bowser cycle, dolphin bike and the bullet bill bike all make an instep when you drift, it is easier to be accurate with it once you get used to the difference. With an instep drift you can aim directly at the apex of the corner, then start the drift as you get to it.... which means you can perform longer more accurate wheelies and still get a perfect corner.

It's like the difference between those mud-racer bikes that travel sideways around an oval track, and high-performance GT racer type bikes.

I used to be a standard bike L user with Rosalina, and I did quite well, and couldn't stand using the instep bikes, but after trying to perfect my time trial on Luigi Circuit with the torpedo you get used to it, and I moved on toe the bowser cycle.... once you get used to the different drift it is a lot better.

Around the Network

I believe I have only one, 3 stars, maybe two.

So freaking hard.

3 stars in MKDS are sooo easy.

In MKDs I was able to get 3 stars in ALL missions and in 100% of 50, 100 and 150cc (not specular, ther i had 25%). In MKWii i couldn't get three stars in one single race :(

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

TWRoO said:
angrypoolman said:
Red4ADevil said:
angrypoolman said:
Red4ADevil said:

If you get used to one of the bikes we have been telling you to use though, you should be a lot better.

The difference is that the standard bike and such all make an outstep when you drift. so to hit the apex of a corner you have to start the drift well before the corner.
The Mach bike, Nitrobike, Bowser cycle, dolphin bike and the bullet bill bike all make an instep when you drift, it is easier to be accurate with it once you get used to the difference. With an instep drift you can aim directly at the apex of the corner, then start the drift as you get to it.... which means you can perform longer more accurate wheelies and still get a perfect corner.

It's like the difference between those mud-racer bikes that travel sideways around an oval track, and high-performance GT racer type bikes.

I used to be a standard bike L user with Rosalina, and I did quite well, and couldn't stand using the instep bikes, but after trying to perfect my time trial on Luigi Circuit with the torpedo you get used to it, and I moved on toe the bowser cycle.... once you get used to the different drift it is a lot better.

Yea getting knocked around everwhere made me choose the mach bike, and I played with it hella but I couldn't even get passed the first race at a satisfactory level. After playing with it so much I used the standard bike, and I kid you not, I got three stars right then and there.. Then I made this thread. haha.

angrypoolman said:
TWRoO said:
angrypoolman said:
Red4ADevil said:
angrypoolman said:
Red4ADevil said:

Yea getting knocked around everwhere made me choose the mach bike, and I played with it hella but I couldn't even get passed the first race at a satisfactory level. After playing with it so much I used the standard bike, and I kid you not, I got three stars right then and there.. Then I made this thread. haha.

Another important thing with the bikes is staying out of trouble because any advantage they give is lost if you just try and barge through the field, something you can manage with a kart. You have to get very good at quickly starting and stopping wheelies and ensuring you don't get hit while performing wheelies.

I typically try to sneek up the sides of the starting grid, while wheelie-ing, keeping out of the way of other racers, until i reach full speed.  Once you're clear in the lead, barring the occasional blue shell hammering, the race is yours to lose.

If you can get used to the Mach bike, the Bowser bike isn't much different to use and you get the advantage of a little extra weight for the loss of some maneuverability.

Use Peach with Mach Bike. Then turn off the sound.