By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I believe the USED market may hurt the 360 and PS2 come the holidays

Its not only a prediction, but possibly an ongoing thing.. Gamestop among other retailers that sell USED consoles for a lower price are now selling the XBOX 360 arcade with a wireless controller for just $139.99, ofcourse its a used product, and im certain consumers will look into it over a 360 arcade.. The ps2 also recently had a cut, its $59.99 for a used PS2. The price of a normal 360 or PS3 game. Notice how ps2 hardware has been very low in comparison to 2-3 years ago, I believe up to 40% of its actual sales may not even be counted, but USED console sales..

Come the holidays, I am CERTAIN the PS2 and 360 may actually be sold for a cheaper price USED from gamestop, and other retailers, which may, or WILL likely hurt its overall sales.. This is why I don't like the used market, and rarely support it.

What are your opinions on the matter?

mM
Around the Network

i suppose its possible however they generally dont have a ton of used consoles at the store and besides that alot of people dont buy their consoles at gamestop. While it is likely to hurt new sales just a bit i dont think it will be a noticible impact. Just my opinion

Long Live SHIO!

1337 Gamer said:
i suppose its possible however they generally dont have a ton of used consoles at the store and besides that alot of people dont buy their consoles at gamestop. While it is likely to hurt new sales just a bit i dont think it will be a noticible impact. Just my opinion

I tink it already is noticeble, look at hardware sales during a HALO launch week..

mM

When I worked at GameStop, I made sure to sell all PS3 and 360 games used. The only games I would sell new are Nintendo games. It was easy.

Nintendo customer: "Ah, it's only five dollars more, plus you get the comfort in knowing it new and has never been played before."

HD customer: "It is basically the same thing as a new copy, it's only five dollars cheaper. Plus, if you don't like the game, you have seven days to return it!"

This is partly the reason that Wii software sells.

angrypoolman said:

When I worked at GameStop, I made sure to sell all PS3 and 360 games used. The only games I would sell new are Nintendo games. It was easy.

Nintendo customer: "Ah, it's only five dollars more, plus you get the comfort in knowing it new and has never been played before."

HD customer: "It is basically the same thing as a new copy, it's only five dollars cheaper. Plus, if you don't like the game, you have seven days to return it!"

Why would you do that?

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
angrypoolman said:

Why would you do that?

Because I want Nintendo to make more money than the other two companies. I want them to get credit for creating these games. I also want Nintendo to have the most million sellers out of all three companies.

angrypoolman said:
leo-j said:
angrypoolman said:

Why would you do that?

Because I want Nintendo to make more money than the other two companies. I want them to get credit for creating these games. I also want Nintendo to have the most million sellers out of all three companies.

So basically you want to screw half of the gaming industry, just becase you want nintendo to be #1?

mM
leo-j said:
angrypoolman said:
leo-j said:
angrypoolman said:

Why would you do that?

So basically you want to screw half of the gaming industry, just becase you want nintendo to be #1?

It's not screwing them, just giving Nintendo a bit of an edge. Sometimes I will feel sorry for a game like Valkyria Chronicles (which I love), and I will encourage a new purchase of that game, but basically, Nintendo needs to be in charge here. They are the only true video game company, and if you ask me, it's Microsoft and Sony who are screwing the industry, not Nintendo. Nintendo are the only ones who are putting in an effort to make it better.

Why PS2 and X360? You think more people are going to buy a used 360 or PS2 when they are generally thought of as the most unreliable consoles?

angrypoolman said:
leo-j said:
angrypoolman said:
leo-j said:
angrypoolman said:

Why would you do that?

It's not screwing them, just giving Nintendo a bit of an edge. Sometimes I will feel sorry for a game like Valkyria Chronicles (which I love), and I will encourage a new purchase of that game, but basically, Nintendo needs to be in charge here. They are the only true video game company, and if you ask me, it's Microsoft and Sony who are screwing the industry, not Nintendo. Nintendo are the only ones who are putting in an effort to make it better.

This is a joke right?