By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I believe the USED market may hurt the 360 and PS2 come the holidays

Edouble24 said:
angrypoolman said:

When I worked at GameStop, I made sure to sell all PS3 and 360 games used. The only games I would sell new are Nintendo games. It was easy.

Nintendo customer: "Ah, it's only five dollars more, plus you get the comfort in knowing it new and has never been played before."

HD customer: "It is basically the same thing as a new copy, it's only five dollars cheaper. Plus, if you don't like the game, you have seven days to return it!"

This is partly the reason that Wii software sells.

lol you're kidding right? You're partly the reason for the software success of the Wii...I'm sure you made a huge difference in the console wars. As for the main topic, they sell used consoles for every console and handheld out there. They've been doing this for a long time and the effect wont be any greater or worse than before. When I worked at Gamestop people were scared to buy used 360s because the chances for the RROD was much higher.

Oh and just so you all know, he's not doing anything bad or evil. You're supposed to push used game sales at Gamestop. Be happy he did it for at least one company, most employes don't do it for any.

@bolded. It was a joke, bro.

As far as used 360s go. Yea, I liked my customers to buy them used so 360 doesn't get a sale, but if they had a bad history with RROD, I would tell them to buy a new one.

And yea, I don't get why people are pissed off about this, I sell the most software at my store for a reason.. because I have an agenda and I am actually motivated to do it.

Around the Network
angrypoolman said:
Khuutra said:
angrypoolman said:
Hey, don't get me wrong, I love the PS3 and 360. I don't want them to die, or go anywhere. I just want it to be very clear who is in charge here. As long as Sony and Microsoft are put in their place, everything will be fine. Nintendo has earned their rightful spot as number #1 and I am doing what is in my power to keep them there. That, to me, is more important than some developers for 360 and PS3 getting a few extra copies sold. Maybe if sales for those companies slide enough, they will wise up and side with Nintendo, and develop better games for their system.

What the Hell is this? Why do you let your agenda affect other people's buying decisions?

Because... I want Nintendo to be on top...

You are actually responding to the answer to your question.

Your job as a salesperson is to help the people with what they want, not with what you want them to buy.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

also, if a game is sold used, the gaming industry doesn't profit from it in any way.

mM
JerCotter7 said:
angrypoolman said:
leo-j said:
angrypoolman said:
leo-j said:
angrypoolman said:

When I worked at GameStop, I made sure to sell all PS3 and 360 games used. The only games I would sell new are Nintendo games. It was easy.

Nintendo customer: "Ah, it's only five dollars more, plus you get the comfort in knowing it new and has never been played before."

HD customer: "It is basically the same thing as a new copy, it's only five dollars cheaper. Plus, if you don't like the game, you have seven days to return it!"

This is partly the reason that Wii software sells.

Why would you do that?

Because I want Nintendo to make more money than the other two companies. I want them to get credit for creating these games. I also want Nintendo to have the most million sellers out of all three companies.

So basically you want to screw half of the gaming industry, just becase you want nintendo to be #1?

It's not screwing them, just giving Nintendo a bit of an edge. Sometimes I will feel sorry for a game like Valkyria Chronicles (which I love), and I will encourage a new purchase of that game, but basically, Nintendo needs to be in charge here. They are the only true video game company, and if you ask me, it's Microsoft and Sony who are screwing the industry, not Nintendo. Nintendo are the only ones who are putting in an effort to make it better.

This is a joke right?

Sadly he's right. I subjectively I disagree with him, but objectively I agree.

MontanaHatchet said:
angrypoolman said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Wow Angrypoolman, that may just be one of the most immature and fanboyish things I have ever heard.

Do your freakin' job right. You're not paid to have a console allegiance, and your petty efforts don't do a thing to change Nintendo's fortunes. It's just pathetic.

Oh come on Monty, I do my job great. GameStop makes a living off of used sales, so what do I do? I get them some used sales. At the expense of Ps3 and 360 of course, but that is what GameStop wants us to do. I was one of the best workers there because I was the only one with any enthusiasm for sales, whether they be new or used.

And if what I am doing makes no difference, then I don't see why you would care.

Well since Nintendo sells the most software out of the three, you'd actually benefit Gamestop the most by selling used games for Nintendo systems.

And I care because what you're doing is one of the dumbest, pathetic, and most fanboyish things I've ever heard.

You can make this statement all you want, but I am not going to take it seriously until you actually state why it's dumb or pathetic. Those are just buzzwords to get your followers wriled up.

Around the Network
themanwithnoname said:
angrypoolman said:
Khuutra said:
angrypoolman said:
Hey, don't get me wrong, I love the PS3 and 360. I don't want them to die, or go anywhere. I just want it to be very clear who is in charge here. As long as Sony and Microsoft are put in their place, everything will be fine. Nintendo has earned their rightful spot as number #1 and I am doing what is in my power to keep them there. That, to me, is more important than some developers for 360 and PS3 getting a few extra copies sold. Maybe if sales for those companies slide enough, they will wise up and side with Nintendo, and develop better games for their system.

What the Hell is this? Why do you let your agenda affect other people's buying decisions?

Your job as a salesperson is to help the people with what they want, not with what you want them to buy.

ACTUALLY my job as a sales person is to do whatever it takes to manipulate customers into throwing money into GameStop's lap. That is what we are trained to do.

leo-j said:
also, if a game is sold used, the gaming industry doesn't profit from it in any way.

I, along with everybody else, is aware of this. GameStop profits from used sales, which is the reason they hired me.. to sell used shit.

angrypoolman said:
MontanaHatchet said:
angrypoolman said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Wow Angrypoolman, that may just be one of the most immature and fanboyish things I have ever heard.

Do your freakin' job right. You're not paid to have a console allegiance, and your petty efforts don't do a thing to change Nintendo's fortunes. It's just pathetic.

Oh come on Monty, I do my job great. GameStop makes a living off of used sales, so what do I do? I get them some used sales. At the expense of Ps3 and 360 of course, but that is what GameStop wants us to do. I was one of the best workers there because I was the only one with any enthusiasm for sales, whether they be new or used.

And if what I am doing makes no difference, then I don't see why you would care.

Well since Nintendo sells the most software out of the three, you'd actually benefit Gamestop the most by selling used games for Nintendo systems.

And I care because what you're doing is one of the dumbest, pathetic, and most fanboyish things I've ever heard.

You can make this statement all you want, but I am not going to take it seriously until you actually state why it's dumb or pathetic. Those are just buzzwords to get your followers wriled up.

Hmm, you responded to that part instead of the part where I turned your entire argument upside down. Guess you show more allegiance to a company that only really cares about your money than a company that pays and employs you. And I don't really have any "followers," there are just several people in agreement that what you're doing is incredibly fanboyish. It's one thing to have a console allegiance, but actually taking that allegiance into your job and actively trying to hurt the companies you don't like is incredibly petty.

Although, given some of the things you've posted in the past, none of this should surprise me.

Yeah probably. The used market is killing gaming sales, and for some reason I still buy used.

angrypoolman said:
themanwithnoname said:
angrypoolman said:
Khuutra said:
angrypoolman said:

ACTUALLY my job as a sales person is to do whatever it takes to manipulate customers into throwing money into GameStop's lap. That is what we are trained to do.

And by throwing the largest marketshare company consumers to the new games sales rather than used your failing.

You suck at being an employee.