By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "We love MS's money."

What's the big deal people?? Nintendo know's how to run a consumer electronics business. Plain and simple. Tretton's basically saying they do their job well.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
The Anarchyz said:
Gh0st4lifE said:
"I love their money. I think they can afford to be more patient, we're very profit driven, we're interested in return on investment in a fairly short period of time. I think Microsoft is prepared to go at it from a very steep curve in terms of profitability."

Of course they could afford to be more patient, but they want to be leaders so it's only natural to invest heavily asap.

BTW, what he says about Nintendo is complete bullcrap. Nintendo never was more profit driven than any other company. They were playing safe by trying to differentiate their product while remaining in the low cost segment. Hitting solid gold the way they did was simply unexpected.

O RLY???

Nintendo is the only company of all that even when it is in 3rd place, it still makes a lot of profits (they made with 21M Gamecubes an amount that competes with the amount Sony made with the PS2, at least till 2006), all their handhelds were (and are) massively popular, printing cash like crazy... The only surprise was the Wii in the innovation area, but their profit model has not changed...

All companies are profit driven, but some models are designed for getting cash since the beginning, other models are designed to loss amounts to later get a big return, with different variations (MS usually risks a lot, gets a strong marketshare and then profits, Bill Gates used this model with Windows after dumping OS/2 partnership, i think that was the only time they didn't have the money backup to support the risk, so it was a sink or swim moment)....

WRONG!!!! PS2 made much more profit than GameCube, Nintendo didnt made more money with only GameCube, they also had GBA and DS to make big profits

The DS wasn't part of it.

While what you say may be true about the GameCube and GBA, the fact remains that the two of them put together didn't sell as much as the PS2, nor did they cost as much, but they still managed to pull in more profit than the PS2 did until at least '06.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Seece said:
phinch1 said:
Seece said:
"we're very profit driven, we're interested in return on investment in a fairly short period of time."

So is Microsoft Tretton, and it's worked, the 360 hardware started making a profit from 2007.

I think jack means like when Microsoft threw 50 million at rockstar to make exclusive content, have Microsoft even made there money back of that yet? I doubt it microsoft have lots of money to spend and i know it doesnt bother them how much they pay out, but there not making at all/much profit on what they throw it at

Well first off it was a loan, secondly yes I'm sure they have/will, the first one sold 1 million in it's first week ($20 million revenue) and is somewhere around 2 million now (want a link go get it yourself)

They still have Gay Tony and LIberty City Stories to release. When all is said it would have made around $100 million in revenue.

a link would have been nice, ill highlight my point you've just proven

you said when all is done, how long untill its all done? probably a long time and sony said we're interested in returns in a failry short period of time , microsoft arnt making there money back quick, and this isnt the only game they throw money at for exclusive content

Google: Analyst Shauger: Microsoft loses money on every Xbox 360 sold. Sept 2009.

Some of the links offer valid support for this.

The fact is if you are a x360 fanboy no one can tell you different.

Anti-MS vice versa.

Personally I don't care but I believe the former.

phinch1 said:
Seece said:
phinch1 said:
Seece said:
"we're very profit driven, we're interested in return on investment in a fairly short period of time."

So is Microsoft Tretton, and it's worked, the 360 hardware started making a profit from 2007.

I think jack means like when Microsoft threw 50 million at rockstar to make exclusive content, have Microsoft even made there money back of that yet? I doubt it microsoft have lots of money to spend and i know it doesnt bother them how much they pay out, but there not making at all/much profit on what they throw it at

Well first off it was a loan, secondly yes I'm sure they have/will, the first one sold 1 million in it's first week ($20 million revenue) and is somewhere around 2 million now (want a link go get it yourself)

They still have Gay Tony and LIberty City Stories to release. When all is said it would have made around $100 million in revenue.

a link would have been nice, ill highlight my point you've just proven

you said when all is done, how long untill its all done? probably a long time and sony said we're interested in returns in a failry short period of time , microsoft arnt making there money back quick, and this isnt the only game they throw money at for exclusive content

Actually probably by the end of the year, which is good as only half the content has even been released so far.

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
BladeOfGod said:
The Anarchyz said:
Gh0st4lifE said:
"I love their money. I think they can afford to be more patient, we're very profit driven, we're interested in return on investment in a fairly short period of time. I think Microsoft is prepared to go at it from a very steep curve in terms of profitability."

Of course they could afford to be more patient, but they want to be leaders so it's only natural to invest heavily asap.

BTW, what he says about Nintendo is complete bullcrap. Nintendo never was more profit driven than any other company. They were playing safe by trying to differentiate their product while remaining in the low cost segment. Hitting solid gold the way they did was simply unexpected.

O RLY???

Nintendo is the only company of all that even when it is in 3rd place, it still makes a lot of profits (they made with 21M Gamecubes an amount that competes with the amount Sony made with the PS2, at least till 2006), all their handhelds were (and are) massively popular, printing cash like crazy... The only surprise was the Wii in the innovation area, but their profit model has not changed...

All companies are profit driven, but some models are designed for getting cash since the beginning, other models are designed to loss amounts to later get a big return, with different variations (MS usually risks a lot, gets a strong marketshare and then profits, Bill Gates used this model with Windows after dumping OS/2 partnership, i think that was the only time they didn't have the money backup to support the risk, so it was a sink or swim moment)....

WRONG!!!! PS2 made much more profit than GameCube, Nintendo didnt made more money with only GameCube, they also had GBA and DS to make big profits

The DS wasn't part of it.

While what you say may be true about the GameCube and GBA, the fact remains that the two of them put together didn't sell as much as the PS2, nor did they cost as much, but they still managed to pull in more profit than the PS2 did until at least '06.

Nintendo just had a bigger profit from Sony that year. We dont know if it was from GC, GBA, DS  or all 3 of themof them cobined we just know they made profit. I personaly believe that its their software who made them more money than their hardware.

@iHUGi

Maybe Sony didnt count on the stupidity of some customers like MS did. I hope Sony win this Gen mainly because if they loose they will do it like MS. And I have to pay for PSN and more for HDD Wifi and all the other stuff. I read here before the PS3 didnt sold so well in US because the Americans cared for Price but maybe its the Europeans which cared more. Honestly the people who bought a Xbox 360 and payed for all the extras that are included in the PS3 did it because they knew they can download the Xbox Games for free from the Net.

The Xbox was always the same price if you wanted the same experience the PS3 offered. If you count long term Xbox Live even more expensive. Now the PS3 is the way better deal.But the people dont care because all what matters is the Price in the shelf. Thats why you can buy cellphones for 1 Dollar/Euro and People think they were smart but in the End the payed 2times the price with the additional Contract Costs.

@BladeOfGod: It was the software, that's pretty obvious. But the strategy itself is different from Sony, since the strategy Sony is using require lots of profit from software to make profit at all, while Nintendo can make profit with little software sales, because they make profit out of hardware as well.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

PullusPardus said:
Already Posted, and your title is making it sound like a "Evil Tretton"

It was meant that way     

Seece said:
Phrancheyez said:
Seece said:
Phrancheyez said:
Seece said:

O Rly?  Where'd you read this?  Can I have a link from a respected source?  The only things I've read lately are that they lose money on every console, just like SONY.  I have to call bull shit.

http://www.techspot.com/news/23612-microsoft-makes-tiny-profit-on-xbox-360-hardware.html

And that's from 2006..do I still think that article is accurate?  Not for a moment.  The price and package inclusions has changed quite a bit since then, so if you find one from 2009, let me know.  Otherwise, I still have to call bull shit.

No of course you don't whatever I came up with you would refute why did I even bother! Use common sense

No, if you came up with something recent, I wouldn't refute.  That's 3 years old, and as I said, a lot has changed since then.  You seem top think I have some bias against MS - no, I just have bias against their games.  I have a 360 and use it more than my PS3.  I happen to think half of their exclusives are garbage, but that's an argument for another time - people like you simply take that to mean I hate MS.  You're wrong.