By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Do PS3 owners not buy exclusives

AdventWolf:

Because I didn't wish to pay for a wi-fi adaptor or Live, amongst other things.

Around the Network
CaptainDJ said:
Most of my friends and family use the PS3 to watch movies and Xbox for games. I do the same.

Are you implying that the PS3 has no games?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

twesterm said:
bdbdbd said:
@Twesterm: To be specific, all the three games mentioned would be games "for wrong audience" on any platform.

Eh, you could make the argument that LBP might have a better place on the 360 instead of the PS3 since it had Viva Pinata but ultimately such a casual game like LBP with that kind of art style would have done by far the best on the Wii.

As for No More Heroes and Madworld, while I love playing them on the Wii, I would be willing to bet the majority of the people that bought those also had a PS3 and/or a 360 and there were a good number of PS3/360 owners that would have loved to play it but didn't have a Wii.

The No More Heroes argument is invalid. Name a Suda developed game that sold better than NMH. You can look but won't find it. Suda51 makes niche titles. His games just don't sell in huge numbers. NMH was his best selling game yet.  I own Madworld, it definitely fun but again but I doubt it would have sold well on any platform. Maybe if they abandoned the Sin City style graphics and made it more generic HD brown it would have sold better on 360 and PS3 but it wouldn't have been Madworld without it's graphical style.

Kantor said:
CaptainDJ said:
Most of my friends and family use the PS3 to watch movies and Xbox for games. I do the same.

Are you implying that the PS3 has no games?

No, he is probably saying they bought 360's and all the games for it and then decided to get a bluray player so they got the PS3.

If you have a 360 you don't really need a PS3 and vice versa, unless you just play games like mad. I don't see myself getting a 360 for a while because I already have a PS3 to play games with.

The last few pages of this thread are full of fail.

1) MGS4 did in little over 1 year well over 4.2 mio (according to VGChartz, which I believe are way off, since MGS4 sold more in others than NA).

2) KZ2 sold 2 mio in half a year.

Is that not enough? With smaller userbase than Xbox and Wii? You have to take in account, that PS3 is more popular in regions with large diversity in taste for games. What does appeal to NA, doesn't have to appeal to Japan or Europe, or others Others. While Halo 3 sold in NA, because NA care for shooters mainly, it sold 10 mio in 2 years. But Halo is Xbox, PS3 doesn't have such title, they have MORE key franchises, some of them for 15 years. I think people are getting retarded with all those Wii numbers flying around. Only because Wii Sports and Mario Kart sold 20+ mio, you can't expect every game on every platform to sell the same.

I can picture all those games that've been mentioned to keep strong legs for a long time, since PS3 is on the rise now, selling more and more with key franchises making their debut in this generation. More people will buy PS3 when GoW3, GT5 and Trico come out, than they will also buy Platinum games such as MGS4, Uncharted, Killzone and many others. I don't believe this is the destiny for many Xbox exclusives.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Around the Network

@aragod: Well, staring only the top sellers is a much larger problem than just what's evident in this thread. Refreshing to see the PS3 games sales as a subject for a change. Pointless, but still refreshing.

However, what Onyxmeth wrote to this topic, is in the root of the problem.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

CGI-Quality said:
bonkers555 said:
BMaker11 said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
inFamous and Valkyria Chronicles did HIGHLY well for what they are overall, KZ2 and MGS4 however... i can't think of any excuse of why they didn't sale insanely. >_>

KZ2 I understand...but MGS4 is above MGS3, and MGS3 released when the PS2 had what? 90M+ users?

I agree here.  MGS4 did really well alot more then I expected.  But on the other hand KillZone 2 didn't even make a dent with all the Hype since E3 2006. 

Didn't make a dent where?

LOL

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

bdbdbd said:
@aragod: Well, staring only the top sellers is a much larger problem than just what's evident in this thread. Refreshing to see the PS3 games sales as a subject for a change. Pointless, but still refreshing.

However, what Onyxmeth wrote to this topic, is in the root of the problem.

Sorry but I didn't understand a thing from your answer, might be the late hour, or beeing worn out after a whole f*cking day, but what the hell were you trying to say?

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

My opinion is that X360 owners are less critical and buy the main X360 brands despite the quality (see Halo - not a bad game, however I am not sure that it deserves such high sales numbers...)

For example a great game like Uncharted 2 would deserve at least 5 mil sold copies (20% of PS3 owner base) but we will be glad for 3 mil... :-/

@aragod: Just commented the obvious.
Usually we have these threads "worst selling Wii game sold worse than the best selling PS3/360 game". It's refreshing to see something new, although the theme is still the same.
It's also pointless to make a thread like this. Considering the installbase, you just can't expect huge software sales, especially when sales spread more evenly than they do on 360. And the games mentioned in the thread generally perform similarily to their PS2 counterparts or are new IP:s that you can't expect to sell like existing IP:s.
And, instead of looking how the games in general actually do, people only stare at the best-sellers.

Onyxmeth was in the root of the issue, that is the general appeal of the games in question, that isn't too high to begin with, not that the PS3 owners somehow would diss the exclusives. People aren't going to buy a game just because it's exclusive, the game itsel has to appeal the customer.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.