By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ninty brand > PS brand > XBOX Brand -- Coolbrands list in UK!!

Annual CoolBrands list reveals Britons’ responsiveness to Sony’s image

Developers continue to place faith in the strength of a console’s brand as much as its hardware, with a system’s identity seen by many creatives as a means of alluring potential customers.

Now, a new study reveals that the PlayStation brand is seen by the public as trendier than the Xbox.

The annual list of the 500 'coolest' brands in the UK is brought together by independent research from The Centre for Brand Analysis. The survey sampled opinion from 2,500 respondents, many of which are termed as ‘influential opinion formers’.

Sony’s PlayStation brand took tenth place in the list of 500, having climbed up five places from last year. The Xbox followed just inches behind, climbing an impressive 28 places to eleventh.

The Nintendo brand itself, meanwhile, hit fifth place in the overall list, though the ‘Wii’ name itself was oddly absent.

Advertisement

Taking first place was Apple’s iPhone, which hit the top spot for the first time ever after knocking British sportscar manufacturer Aston Martin off its pedestal.

Apple’s dominance of the CoolBrands 500 continued beyond first place, as the Apple brand itself emerged once again in third place, while the iPod brand jumped 36 places to hit fourth.

Stephen Cheliotis, Chairman of the CoolBrands council, denied the cool list's seemingly flippant nature.

“Aston Martin has finally lost its top spot in the rankings but only just,” he said. “In fact, considering cool is seen to be very fluid and changeable, the top twenty shows remarkable consistency with 15 of last year’s top twenty in there again.

“Equally, most of the category winners are the same,” he said. “So much for cool being a fleeting thing.”

CoolBrands top 20 for 2009/10 follows:

1. iPhone    (up one place)
2. Aston Martin (down one)
3. Apple (same position)
4. iPod (up 36 places)
5. Nintendo (up two places)
6. YouTube (down one place)
7. BlackBerry (up 16 places)
8. Google (down two places)
9. Bang & Olufsen (down five places)
10. PlayStation (up five places)
11. Xbox (up 28)
12. Tate Modern (down two)
13. Dom Perignon (down two places)
14. Virgin Atlantic (down two places)
15. Ferrari (down two places)
16. Sony (same position)
17. Mini (up 11 places)
18. Vivienne Westwood (up 23 places)
19. Rolex (down ten places)
20. BBC iPlayer (New entry)

http://www.develop-online.net/news/32925/PlayStation-beats-Xbox-in-cool-list

hmmmmm...

PLAYSTATION UP 5 Places

Thank you sLIM PS3!

EDIT: OMFg there are no CAPS in the thread title.....how did this happen!

EDIT 2: {phew} XBOX is in caps!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

UK was in caps.

Anyway, PlayStation has always been trendy in the UK. And it will be for a long time.

I'm surprised to see Ninty so high up the list. I'm not surprised at Apple products. But I would have thought Microsoft on the whole would have been in the top 5- Windows is enormously popular here.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

XBOX is in CAPS!

Nice to see gaming stuff high up. 2 Gaming brands/companies in the top 10

What is an ashton martin, a vivienne westwood, and banger & olufsen

yes XBOX is in caps....phew

@kantor

UK is a great country hence its in CAPS!

@all

WTH is blackberry doing UP 16 places lol!

Around the Network

bbc iplayer? are you serious?

Aston Martin!!! How the fuck can an iphone be more "cool" than an Aston Martin hahahaha what a stupid poll.

Our country is stupid, the iPhone at number 1... that just makes me sad, there is no company in the world that I hate more than Apple and Blackberry should not be a cool brand

iphone is MEGA popular at my school & it shows munkeh!

Munkeh111 said:
Our country is stupid, the iPhone at number 1... that just makes me sad, there is no company in the world that I hate more than Apple and Blackberry should not be a cool brand

Well I'm pretty sure this had a lot of deluded people invloved, I mean the xbox's a brilliant gaming console et all but "cool" certainly not in the top 11 in my eyes.