By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

Untamoi said:
shio said:
greenmedic88 said:

Show hardware build specs, play settings and benchmarks or you're just blowing smoke.

Blowing smoke at someone who builds and overclocks systems and knows full well what every bit of hardware is capable of I might add.

And since you brought up resolution; for every game that runs below 1280x720 on a console, there are probably a good 20+ that do.

And pretty much the console games that play at 720p aren't pushing the tech like the ones that play at below 720p.

As for the hardware specs:

US GAF'S ULTIMATE $400 GAMING RIG

[CPU/MOTHERBOARD/MEMORY COMBO (2.8ghz E6300 / ECS G31 / OCZ SLI 4GB 800mhz)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.215870 ($157 +$23 MIR)
[DVDRW (Samsung 22x SATA)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151187 ($27)
[GPU (Sapphire E HD 4850 512M)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102824 ($100)
[HDD (WD CAVIAR BLUE 640GB )]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136218 ($60)
[CASE/PSU COMBO (Coolermaster Centurion 5 / Coolermaster 460w): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.208506 ($75)

$418.92 - $33 rebates = $395.93

And keep in mind that this build is slightly old, and is able to play Crysis in Very High!

This is enough to reach around 20 fps at very high details at 720p, no more than that. Even then, you are missing OS and keyboard and mouse from your configuration (you can't use PC at all without them unless you steal them).

Well, you could easily change the HDD, get a cheaper one. Run Windows 7 RC as your OS, who doesn't have a keyboard and a mouse lying around? If not then you can easily get some for under $10. With the optical drive; you don't really need one as you can install Windows from an old USB drive.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
Soleron said:
PCs have much higher theoretical graphics power. The PS3's GPU is a 7900GS, and current GPUs such as the HD 5870 have maybe eight times the processing power of that, in fillrate, TFLOPS, shader count and everything else.

The limitation is that games can't get much better visually without spending enough money and time to make the whole game unprofitable. Until we get raytracing to cut graphics engine costs and find a cheaper to model things.

I believe you hit the nail of the head. Crysis is almost 2 years old yet it still uses as an example top PC graphics. So in the future I believe graphics will be limited by cost instead of hardware limitations. While 5870 has a lot of power I haven't seen too many PC games where I need that power. 

For DX11? Really trying to convince myself that Dirt 2 in DX11 will blow me away.

Because they exist?

Currently, you're really better off just buying a pair of HD4850s or HD4870s if you want to go a bit higher in resolution due to the length of time on the market and the appropriate drops in price.

The 5870 will probably cost about $300 for the near future which would buy you a pair of 4870s.

Until we see that first killer app that fully capitalizes on DX11 and really sells VGA cards, it's a tough sell for anyone who doesn't upgrade video cards every year or even every other year for little reason other than faster cards are available. At that point it's more of an issue of what resolution are you planning on running at what you consider to be playable frame rates and buying the appropriate VGA solution. 

Im not even going to post an argument since the internet is consisting of PC fans everywhere, so let me not even say a thing. Ive had several crysis arguments before

mM
leo-j said:
Im not even going to post an argument since the internet is consisting of PC fans everywhere, so let me not even say a thing. Ive had several crysis arguments before

Too bad. We need your support leo. To break the myth of PC superiority.

JOhnyBravoos said:
Untamoi said:
shio said:
greenmedic88 said:

Show hardware build specs, play settings and benchmarks or you're just blowing smoke.

Blowing smoke at someone who builds and overclocks systems and knows full well what every bit of hardware is capable of I might add.

And since you brought up resolution; for every game that runs below 1280x720 on a console, there are probably a good 20+ that do.

And pretty much the console games that play at 720p aren't pushing the tech like the ones that play at below 720p.

As for the hardware specs:

US GAF'S ULTIMATE $400 GAMING RIG

[CPU/MOTHERBOARD/MEMORY COMBO (2.8ghz E6300 / ECS G31 / OCZ SLI 4GB 800mhz)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.215870 ($157 +$23 MIR)
[DVDRW (Samsung 22x SATA)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151187 ($27)
[GPU (Sapphire E HD 4850 512M)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102824 ($100)
[HDD (WD CAVIAR BLUE 640GB )]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136218 ($60)
[CASE/PSU COMBO (Coolermaster Centurion 5 / Coolermaster 460w): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.208506 ($75)

$418.92 - $33 rebates = $395.93

And keep in mind that this build is slightly old, and is able to play Crysis in Very High!

This is enough to reach around 20 fps at very high details at 720p, no more than that. Even then, you are missing OS and keyboard and mouse from your configuration (you can't use PC at all without them unless you steal them).

Well, you could easily change the HDD, get a cheaper one. Run Windows 7 RC as your OS, who doesn't have a keyboard and a mouse lying around? If not then you can easily get some for under $10. With the optical drive; you don't really need one as you can install Windows from an old USB drive.

Argument's getting stale. While you can delve into the world of ghetto PC gaming (no case needed, pirated OS, cheap/second hand mouse/KB) most aren't that desperate unless they're just trying to make some sort of point.

Optical drive generally required to install games and other software distributed on optical disc. Even I haven't switched to all Steam and I'm a big fan of the service. That's got to be the kookiest way of saving $30 off a build I've ever heard.

And Windows 7 RC will expire with the official release so it's pay or back to a pirated OS. The reality is, add $100 for an OEM copy of Windows if you're building a gaming rig from scratch.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
leo-j said:

Maybe not. It would probably just be ".... something something something... the CELL.... something something darkside... something something complete!"

shio said:
Grey21 said:
There will always be a few computer games that look like they are a generation ahead of the rest but overall it's best to keep the specs low enough to atleast have a couple of million people who could potentially play the game. I also think it's better to have a nice looking game that runs smooth then a very demanding game especially when it comes to PC. Maybe it's because I have nothing buy bad experiences with PC gaming (always something that made it crash, run slow or make it look ugly). If PC gaming wouldn't force consoles and game makers to push it to the limit then graphics wouldn't improve so fast and PC gaming would be more succesful aswell. I know I switched to consoles because I got tired of technical problems with the good looking games. So here is to hoping that PC gaming leads the pack but not with too much of an advantage.

Then it must suck for you to know that consoles are starting to inherit several problems that PC yet, and PC is becoming more-user friendly than ever. There are some people that already argue that PC is more accessible than Xbox 360.

Not yet, I have an Acer 5920G laptop so I can play many computer games and honestly not a single one runs smooth even when we are talking about something old like Stalker or The Witcher. And I'm not even demanding that much when it comes to graphics, I always tune them down to average or below average. And then they run reasonably but they look like shit compaired to 360 games. Same with Oblivion, I got it for PC first since I wanted the mods but it just didn't play well, slowdowns and graphic glitches. I must have spend hours trying to get the most out of it but it never reached the level of the 360 version. Until consoles get upgradable in the same way as PCs that the software can't be buidl exacly around it's specifications then I will always prefer consoles over PC.

Slimebeast said:
leo-j said:

It is a fact that PC is superior when it comes to graphics. It's not myth.

still Graphics are so overrated.

its all about the animations

Grey21 said:
shio said:
Grey21 said:
There will always be a few computer games that look like they are a generation ahead of the rest but overall it's best to keep the specs low enough to atleast have a couple of million people who could potentially play the game. I also think it's better to have a nice looking game that runs smooth then a very demanding game especially when it comes to PC. Maybe it's because I have nothing buy bad experiences with PC gaming (always something that made it crash, run slow or make it look ugly). If PC gaming wouldn't force consoles and game makers to push it to the limit then graphics wouldn't improve so fast and PC gaming would be more succesful aswell. I know I switched to consoles because I got tired of technical problems with the good looking games. So here is to hoping that PC gaming leads the pack but not with too much of an advantage.

Then it must suck for you to know that consoles are starting to inherit several problems that PC yet, and PC is becoming more-user friendly than ever. There are some people that already argue that PC is more accessible than Xbox 360.

Not yet, I have an Acer 5920G laptop so I can play many computer games and honestly not a single one runs smooth even when we are talking about something old like Stalker or The Witcher. And I'm not even demanding that much when it comes to graphics, I always tune them down to average or below average. And then they run reasonably but they look like shit compaired to 360 games. Same with Oblivion, I got it for PC first since I wanted the mods but it just didn't play well, slowdowns and graphic glitches. I must have spend hours trying to get the most out of it but it never reached the level of the 360 version. Until consoles get upgradable in the same way as PCs that the software can't be buidl exacly around it's specifications then I will always prefer consoles over PC.

You bought a laptop! The main reason anyone buys a laptop is so it could move around, not play games. If you really wanted to play the latest games you would've bought a desktop PC. Anyway, your PC is still enough to play 99.9% of PC games today, and it definitely plays better Oblivion than any console.

But in the last 2 years, PCs have decreased in price tremendously, with almost no PC/Laptops above $100. Nowadays you can buy a laptop for $600 that will play any game in the next 3 years.

The slowdowns and glitches were there because you incorrectly installed the mods. Your own fault.