By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

shio said:

There are some people that already argue that PC is more accessible than Xbox 360.

LMAO, nice try shio....

Around the Network

And Crysis doesn't play at very high settings with playable frame rates on a $400 PC, even assuming the $100 OEM copy of Windows was free.

Not unless you crank down the resolution or are playing on a very small display which pretty much defeats the purpose of all that detail.

I love building overclocked systems as much as the next PC guy, but seriously, you have to call BS when you smell it.

A build that played very high settings, let alone mod extreme settings would require about a $200-300 CPU (a highly overclocked E8400 $165 CPU is about rock bottom for this performance level) and a $300 plus dual GPU VGA solution (at least the equivalent of a HD4870x2) for realistically playable frame rates (no less than 30 fps) at resolutions above 1680x1050 without turning off AA.

FKNetwork said:
shio said:

There are some people that already argue that PC is more accessible than Xbox 360.

LMAO, nice try shio....

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyone who says building a cheap overclocked PC for gaming is easier than buying an Xbox and plugging it into an HDTV has his reality distortion field set to "Full."

shio said:
Slimebeast said:
Mummelmann said:
Ah, the Crysis card. Cryengine 3 on consoles looks even better than Cryengine 2 on PC so that argument will soon be rendered invalid at any rate. Or are people assuming that no games on consoles will look better than they do right now?
The PC is superior, no doubt, but the games do not reflect it to the degree one would think and I think that that's the point the OP was trying to make.

This.

CryEngine 3 on consoles looks incredible. There's not a significant difference to how Crysis on highest settings look.

Those pics are around the Medium Settings of Crysis 1. That's not close to High, and nowhere near Very High settings...

Yes it's same as Very High.

Slimebeast said:
shio said:
Slimebeast said:

This.

CryEngine 3 on consoles looks incredible. There's not a significant difference to how Crysis on highest settings look.

Those pics are around the Medium Settings of Crysis 1. That's not close to High, and nowhere near Very High settings...

Yes it's same as Very High.

I wouldn't even bother slimebeast, you know shio is NEVER wrong (yeah right) lol

Around the Network

Alright there is a clear difference between art styles on the PC and art styles on the consoles. The consoles have better artists... so it's hard to draw any conclusion unless you measure everything on a technical standpoint, ie: resolution, polygons per second etc. In which case the consoles were way behind the PC even when they first released.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Already. To be honest, its the consoles holding back PC graphics as they are being used as the benchmark for a lot of FPS titles (which were the games normally driving a lot of graphics leaps).

So the tech is way ahead, but only a few games are exploiting the full power available on PCs currently vs HD consoles.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

greenmedic88 said:
And Crysis doesn't play at very high settings with playable frame rates on a $400 PC, even assuming the $100 OEM copy of Windows was free.

Not unless you crank down the resolution or are playing on a very small display which pretty much defeats the purpose of all that detail.

I love building overclocked systems as much as the next PC guy, but seriously, you have to call BS when you smell it.

A build that played very high settings, let alone mod extreme settings would require about a $200-300 CPU (a highly overclocked E8400 $165 CPU is about rock bottom for this performance level) and a $300 plus dual GPU VGA solution (at least the equivalent of a HD4870x2) for realistically playable frame rates (no less than 30 fps) at resolutions above 1680x1050 without turning off AA.

Exactly. My PC is worth more than 700€ ($1000+)

My E8400 runs at 3.6GHz and my HD4890 is overclocked too, but there is no way I can set the resolution to 1900x1200 or 8x AA when everything else is on Very High.

Tried those extreme graphic configs and it was not playable (~20FPS)

KillerMan said:
shio said:
KillerMan said:
BxN said:
The thing is, people always state Crysis to show how great the glorious PC graphics are, but when you think of it, Crysis is the only game that really outmatches the consoles graphics. There's very little multiplatform games that look significantly better on PC than on PS360, and I'm sorry but I've never seen a pc game (not called Crysis) that looked better than Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2.

Reason for that is that PC versions are almost always ports from console versions so games are made with consoles limitations and then ported to PC. (saddest example is GTA IV)

Dude, the console versions of GTA IV are around the LOW SETTINGS of the PC version. Even Rockstar themselves said it.

BxN said:
The thing is, people always state Crysis to show how great the glorious PC graphics are, but when you think of it, Crysis is the only game that really outmatches the consoles graphics. There's very little multiplatform games that look significantly better on PC than on PS360, and I'm sorry but I've never seen a pc game (not called Crysis) that looked better than Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2.

PC version of GTA IV is very poorly optimized and developed. You need quad core processor, over 2gb RAM and new DX10 graphics card to run it decently. At the beginning game also had so many bugs and glitches that is was almost unplayable. Rockstar made very lazy port.

It further helps my case. Imagine if GTA IV was optimized, the game would've been able to get an even better Top Settings and have lower specs. Optimization aside, it doesn't change the fact that the console versions are only around the low settings of the PC version.

FKNetwork said:
shio said:

LMAO, nice try shio....

Steam:

1. Power on PC
  2. Buy Game
  3. Download Game
  4. Play

After you bought the game is like

1. Power on PC
  2. Play

Steam even streamlines patches and updates, so that you never need to hunt them down.

Console:

1. Go to Store
  2. Buy Game
  3. Go Back Home
  4. Power on Console
  5. Put in Disk
  6. Play
  7. Put Disk Away After Played

After you bought the game is like

1. Power on Console
  2. Put in Disk
  3. Play
  4. Put Disk Away After Played
greenmedic88 said:

A $400 PC still plays Crysis on High Settings, which consoles are unable to. And don't even speak of resolution when most top console games aren't even true HD.

And it's funny you base your argument on resolution. You see, when games like GTA IV, Halo 3, etc.... are around 600p on consoles, you can't criticise PC gamers, because 600p is nearly the minimum resolution that PC games allow these days. Console gamers are basically playing on PC's minimum resolutions.

The artists working with console platforms may just be optimizing their in-game resources better. Console developers in general are much better at achieving more efficient results with less hardware resources out of necessity. Nothing new there.

You really can't tell with just a handful of screen shots that aren't even native res frame grabs.

Until I actually play Crysis 2 or whatever Crytek 3 Engine game comes out first on both hardware platforms, my opinion won't change, but I have a hard time not seeing a pretty noticeable gap on a fast rig with a new DX11 card.

Whether that translates to a generational leap in visuals remains to be seen though.

And yes, it would be nice to have something other than Crysis as an excuse to build a decent gaming PC.