By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

KillerMan said:
DirtyP2002 said:
shio said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

Blizzard and Valve are the only ones supporting it big time. Former PC supporter are looking for a way to get on consoles for a reason (crytec, iD and even valve with Left 4 Dead, orange box etc.)

PC graphics do look better than console graphics, but not as big as it should. Last gen, the lack of HDTVs made PC games look MUCH better, this gen consoles made a nice move forward with better resolutions.

I dunno. For example The Witcher came out, and it's PC only, and it's one of the best RPGs out there for a LONG LONG time. No rpg thi gen has been as awesome as this. Probably because all rpgs get watered down for the kiddy audiences of the consoles. I guess kinda how Wii owners get treated with their games that come down from the HD consoles.

I'm a big fan of WRPG's and I don't like the Witcher.

Fallout 3 is a much much better game. Or to name a PC exclusive WRPG from the last few years: Gothic 3

The Witcher is the best WRPG in the last few years, so I agree with vlad. But there are tons more awesome RPGs that Consoles didn't get:

Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Drakensang
Mount & Blade
King's Bounty: The Legend
Mr. Robot
Guild Wars: Eye of the North

all these are worth a look (especially Mask of the Betrayer, Mount & Blade and Kings Bounty)

• The Witcher: 81 metacritic (2007)
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: 81 metacritic (2006)
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer: 82 metacritic (2007)
  • Drakensang: 75 metacritic (2009)
  • Mount & Blade: 72 metacritic (2008)
  • King's Bounty: The Legend: 79 metacritic (2008)
  • Mr. Robot: 83 metacritic (2007)
  • Guild Wars: Eye of the North: 79 metacritic (2007)

AWESOME GAMES!

PC WRPG's have higher standards than console games. Especially I find it amuzing that X360 version of Mass Effect has higher meta score than PC version when PC version is clearly better.

Indeed the standards for PC games are a bit higher (about 3% or so). That still means that even those PC reviewers were pleased more with game like Mass Effect, Oblivion and Fallout 3 than with Witcher or Neverwinter Nights 2.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
shio said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

Blizzard and Valve are the only ones supporting it big time. Former PC supporter are looking for a way to get on consoles for a reason (crytec, iD and even valve with Left 4 Dead, orange box etc.)

PC graphics do look better than console graphics, but not as big as it should. Last gen, the lack of HDTVs made PC games look MUCH better, this gen consoles made a nice move forward with better resolutions.

I dunno. For example The Witcher came out, and it's PC only, and it's one of the best RPGs out there for a LONG LONG time. No rpg thi gen has been as awesome as this. Probably because all rpgs get watered down for the kiddy audiences of the consoles. I guess kinda how Wii owners get treated with their games that come down from the HD consoles.

I'm a big fan of WRPG's and I don't like the Witcher.

Fallout 3 is a much much better game. Or to name a PC exclusive WRPG from the last few years: Gothic 3

The Witcher is the best WRPG in the last few years, so I agree with vlad. But there are tons more awesome RPGs that Consoles didn't get:

Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Drakensang
Mount & Blade
King's Bounty: The Legend
Mr. Robot
Guild Wars: Eye of the North

all these are worth a look (especially Mask of the Betrayer, Mount & Blade and Kings Bounty)

Worth a look - yes, but far from best WRPGs.

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer has easily the best writing in the last 5 years, not far from the Planescape: Torment quality level (and PS:T has the best writing and story in a videogame ever).

Mount & Blade has the most realistic combat I've ever played in my life. It trumps pretty much any RPG in terms of combat.

King's Bounty: The Legend, probably the best SRPG in ages. I can't think of a PC SRPG that's better than King's Bounty off the top of my head.

What were the decent console exclusive WRPGs? Only Fable 2. All 3 games I mentioned above are better than Fable 2... 4 if you include The Witcher.

I love how every time the question of graphics come into play, PC gamers talk about Crysis.

OK, Crysis has the best graphics out of any game currently out. Agreed. And if you have a super machine, you can play that beast to look much better than any console game.

But can we use 1 game as the reason we say PC graphics are REALLY starting to outpace consoles? NO. How about this for a change: PC fans, give me 5-10 games that look like Crysis. Never mind, you can't do that (obviously if it is the best). Give me 5-10 games that look on par or better than:

1. Killzone 2.
2. MGS4.
3. Gears of War 2.
4. Uncharted 2.
5. Lost Odyssey.
6. Gran Turismo 5.
7. Forza 3.
8. Fight Night Round 4.

All this is assuming you have a PC that can handle games that look that good. There is no doubt that PC is more powerful than consoles, but there is a reason console gaming has become so popular. Buying a console means that you will be playing games that are optimized for the hardware that you are using. Every single PS3 owner will see Killzone 2 in all its glory. 90% of the people who have played Crysis have played it on a setting which looks like a joke compared to Killzone 2.

Again, show me 5 games, I will agree that PC is REALLY starting to outpace consoles. But as it stands, consoles currently have the best looking games available, with a couple of exceptions.

DirtyP2002 said:
shio said:
grapeape said:
Isnt the real question when PC graphics will on average become so much better that the majority will care? Its been over 3 years since a PC game cracked 5 million sales, some blame directx 10, I blame lack of interest. All of my friends that were PC gamers are console gamers now, I keep updating my computer (currently have a quad core with a gtx 275) but cant remember the last game i picked up for the PC, I think it was Orange box. The only guy I still know that plays pc games does so because he pirates them. Sure some games do look better on a pc...but just not enough to care.

"It's been over 3 years since a PC game cracked 5 million sales"

PC Games released in the last 3 yaers that cracked/will crack 5 millions:

The Sims 3
World of Warcraft: wrath of the Lich King
World of Warcraft: the Burning Crusade
Spore
The Orange Box

Many of it is a guess, but's it's a damn good guess.

fixed

Really?! Well, let's go through my list step-by-step:

Plants vs Zombies - It's freaking Popcap!! Had the best launch ever for a Popcap game, and will easily go over 10 millions. It will reach 5 millions.

The Sims 3 - Duh. It will reach 5 millions.

Dawn of Discovery - I rushed on this one. It will probably sell between 2 or 3 million. It will not reach 5 million.

Aion Online - Huge hype? Check. Big pre-orders? Check. Great Launch? Check. Great reviews? Check. After considering all this, is it an MMO? Double Check. It will reach 5 millions.

WoW: Wrath of the Lich King - Duh. It has reached 5 millions.

WoW: The Burning Crusade - Duh. It has reached 5 millions.

Fallout 3 - Bethesda + Fallout = Being sold for atleast 15 years on retail/digital. It dominated all PC Top Charts when it came out. It is still selling well. It will reach 5 millions.

Spore - Duh. It will reach 5 millions.

Call of Duty 4 - Dominated Retail and Digital Charts for almost a year, and was always on Steam's Top Ten until early 2009. It still shows up in top charts, including steam. And it never even dropped price! It has reached 5 millions.

The Orange Box - Duh. It will reach 5 millions, if it hasn't already.

Team Fortress 2 - Just like any Valve game it will have insane lifetime, but TF2 is always being updated and improved, with sales also increasing in each update. It is a monster. It will reach 5 millions.

Peggle Deluxe - It's freaking Popcap!! It has reached 5 millions.

So 11 of the games I just mentioned are poised to be over 5 millions. The fact that you don't even know Popcap, and how COD4 dominated on PC, and how Aion is dominating on PC...

perpride said:
I love how every time the question of graphics come into play, PC gamers talk about Crysis.

OK, Crysis has the best graphics out of any game currently out. Agreed. And if you have a super machine, you can play that beast to look much better than any console game.

But can we use 1 game as the reason we say PC graphics are REALLY starting to outpace consoles? NO. How about this for a change: PC fans, give me 5-10 games that look like Crysis. Never mind, you can't do that (obviously if it is the best). Give me 5-10 games that look on par or better than:

1. Killzone 2.
2. MGS4.
3. Gears of War 2.
4. Uncharted 2.
5. Lost Odyssey.
6. Gran Turismo 5.
7. Forza 3.
8. Fight Night Round 4.

All this is assuming you have a PC that can handle games that look that good. There is no doubt that PC is more powerful than consoles, but there is a reason console gaming has become so popular. Buying a console means that you will be playing games that are optimized for the hardware that you are using. Every single PS3 owner will see Killzone 2 in all its glory. 90% of the people who have played Crysis have played it on a setting which looks like a joke compared to Killzone 2.

Again, show me 5 games, I will agree that PC is REALLY starting to outpace consoles. But as it stands, consoles currently have the best looking games available, with a couple of exceptions.

Look, games that are multiplatform and are on both PC and consoles actually look superior to most of the games on that list when played on a half-decent PC. Play Fallout 3 (especially with the user created texture mods), CoD4/5, Far Cry 2, GTAIV on a half-decent PC and the raw power will trounce the games you just listed. Shove the graphics and effects up to high, up the AA, AF and the resolution and there is no real contest. The native texture res on the PC tends to be higher too and they allow for more effects. I haven't even mentioned Cryostasis (the game is crap, but a lot of the power is spent on PhysX stuff the consoles would find impossible to acheive with the same level of detail).

You can argue that artistically these games are superior, but in terms of raw effects and power, even multiplatform games typically look better than nearly all console exculsives, including those listed. I say this as a PC gamer that owns all the current gen consoles, and a somewhat dated PC.

And I doubt that most of PC gamers that bought Crysis played it on the low settings like you seem to be suggesting considering its a game that was hyped for its high graphics and system requirements. Most who bought it would have had that in mind. I think your deluding yourself if you think that Killzone 2 graphics look better than 90% of the people that played Crysis. You could always argue that not everyone with a PS3 played on an HDTV so 50% of the people that played Killzone 2 played with graphics at a res PC gamers had easily surpassed in 1999.

Around the Network
perpride said:

Just off the top of my head-

Empire Total War

Dawn of War 2

Resident Evil 5

Street Fighter 4

Fallout 3 and Oblivion with the hi-res mods

Mass Effect

As with just about any multi-platform game, all look far better on PC than console- the PC versions of SF4 and RE5 are widely regarded as the definitive versions and the first two games are PC exclusive. I don't play racing games, but I'd be very surprised if Grid and Dirt were far superior as well. None of them require more than a reasonable processor and an £80+ graphics card.

perpride said:

1. Killzone 2.
2. MGS4.
3. Gears of War 2.
4. Uncharted 2.
5. Lost Odyssey.
6. Gran Turismo 5.
7. Forza 3.
8. Fight Night Round 4.

ARMA 2, Dawn Of War II, and Empire: Total War are better looking than those titles you mentioned, if you max out the graphics. Also, since you listed two games that aren't even out yet, I will list two DX 11 games that will probably surpass any game on your list; Dirt 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call Of Pripyat.

meehan666 said:
perpride said:

1. Killzone 2.
2. MGS4.
3. Gears of War 2.
4. Uncharted 2.
5. Lost Odyssey.
6. Gran Turismo 5.
7. Forza 3.
8. Fight Night Round 4.

ARMA 2, Dawn Of War II, and Empire: Total War are better looking than those titles you mentioned, if you max out the graphics. Also, since you listed two games that aren't even out yet, I will list two DX 11 games that will probably surpass any game on your list; Dirt 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call Of Pripyat.

Don't forget DemiGod, Sins of a Solar Empire, Eve Online, and Final Fantasy 11.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I think perpride has just been pwned...

ssj12 said:
meehan666 said:
perpride said:

1. Killzone 2.
2. MGS4.
3. Gears of War 2.
4. Uncharted 2.
5. Lost Odyssey.
6. Gran Turismo 5.
7. Forza 3.
8. Fight Night Round 4.

Don't forget DemiGod, Sins of a Solar Empire, Eve Online, and Final Fantasy 11.

Yeah I just listed things I could think of off the top of my head, I am sure there are more if you research them. Another thing to consider is that all the shooters perpride listed are glorified corridor shooters; while games like Crysis and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. look better than them AND are open world.