By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

Barozi said:
vlad321 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

Blizzard and Valve are the only ones supporting it big time. Former PC supporter are looking for a way to get on consoles for a reason (crytec, iD and even valve with Left 4 Dead, orange box etc.)

PC graphics do look better than console graphics, but not as big as it should. Last gen, the lack of HDTVs made PC games look MUCH better, this gen consoles made a nice move forward with better resolutions.

I dunno. For example The Witcher came out, and it's PC only, and it's one of the best RPGs out there for a LONG LONG time. No rpg thi gen has been as awesome as this. Probably because all rpgs get watered down for the kiddy audiences of the consoles. I guess kinda how Wii owners get treated with their games that come down from the HD consoles.

I'm a big fan of WRPG's and I don't like the Witcher.

Fallout 3 is a much much better game. Or to name a PC exclusive WRPG from the last few years: Gothic 3

The Witcher is the best WRPG in the last few years, so I agree with vlad. But there are tons more awesome RPGs that Consoles didn't get:

Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Drakensang
Mount & Blade
King's Bounty: The Legend
Mr. Robot
Guild Wars: Eye of the North

all these are worth a look (especially Mask of the Betrayer, Mount & Blade and Kings Bounty)

Around the Network
grapeape said:
Isnt the real question when PC graphics will on average become so much better that the majority will care? Its been over 3 years since a PC game cracked 5 million sales, some blame directx 10, I blame lack of interest. All of my friends that were PC gamers are console gamers now, I keep updating my computer (currently have a quad core with a gtx 275) but cant remember the last game i picked up for the PC, I think it was Orange box. The only guy I still know that plays pc games does so because he pirates them. Sure some games do look better on a pc...but just not enough to care.

"It's been over 3 years since a PC game cracked 5 million sales"

PC Games released in the last 3 yaers that cracked/will crack 5 millions:

Plants vs Zombies
The Sims 3
Dawn of Discovery
Aion Online
World of Warcraft: wrath of the Lich King
World of Warcraft: the Burning Crusade
Fallout 3
Spore
Call of Duty 4
The Orange Box
Team Fortress 2
Peggle Deluxe

Many of it is a guess, but's it's a damn good guess.

shio said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

Blizzard and Valve are the only ones supporting it big time. Former PC supporter are looking for a way to get on consoles for a reason (crytec, iD and even valve with Left 4 Dead, orange box etc.)

PC graphics do look better than console graphics, but not as big as it should. Last gen, the lack of HDTVs made PC games look MUCH better, this gen consoles made a nice move forward with better resolutions.

I dunno. For example The Witcher came out, and it's PC only, and it's one of the best RPGs out there for a LONG LONG time. No rpg thi gen has been as awesome as this. Probably because all rpgs get watered down for the kiddy audiences of the consoles. I guess kinda how Wii owners get treated with their games that come down from the HD consoles.

Fallout 3 is a much much better game. Or to name a PC exclusive WRPG from the last few years: Gothic 3

The Witcher is the best WRPG in the last few years, so I agree with vlad. But there are tons more awesome RPGs that Consoles didn't get:

Neverwinter Nights 2
Drakensang
Mount & Blade
Mr. Robot

all these are worth a look (especially Mask of the Betrayer, Mount & Blade and Kings Bounty)

• The Witcher: 81 metacritic (2007)
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: 81 metacritic (2006)
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer: 82 metacritic (2007)
  • Drakensang: 75 metacritic (2009)
  • Mount & Blade: 72 metacritic (2008)
  • King's Bounty: The Legend: 79 metacritic (2008)
  • Mr. Robot: 83 metacritic (2007)
  • Guild Wars: Eye of the North: 79 metacritic (2007)

AWESOME GAMES!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

shio said:
grapeape said:
Isnt the real question when PC graphics will on average become so much better that the majority will care? Its been over 3 years since a PC game cracked 5 million sales, some blame directx 10, I blame lack of interest. All of my friends that were PC gamers are console gamers now, I keep updating my computer (currently have a quad core with a gtx 275) but cant remember the last game i picked up for the PC, I think it was Orange box. The only guy I still know that plays pc games does so because he pirates them. Sure some games do look better on a pc...but just not enough to care.

"It's been over 3 years since a PC game cracked 5 million sales"

PC Games released in the last 3 yaers that cracked/will crack 5 millions:

The Sims 3
World of Warcraft: wrath of the Lich King
World of Warcraft: the Burning Crusade
Spore
The Orange Box

Many of it is a guess, but's it's a damn good guess.

fixed

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

shio said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

Neverwinter Nights 2
Drakensang
Mount & Blade
Mr. Robot

Worth a look - yes, but far from best WRPGs.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
shio said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

Neverwinter Nights 2
Drakensang
Mount & Blade
Mr. Robot

Worth a look - yes, but far from best WRPGs.

I tend to find that PC reviews (especially from PC exclusive mags) are far harsher than on consoles. When you have the huge back-catalogue of games to compare to that you find on the PC, its difficult for a PC game to have rave reviews unless it really is something special. In genres where the PC traditionally excels (FPS, WRPG and RTS) this is especially the case.

Examples:

CoD4: 94 HD consoles vs 92 PC

Mass Effect: 91 Consoles vs 89 PC

Halo 1: 97 console vs 83 PC

Halo 2: 95 console vs 72 PC

KoToR: 94 console vs 93 PC

Gears of War: 94 console vs 87 PC

Of course there are exceptions and this is somewhat dependent on the porting (Halo 1&2 especially were poor and late ports), but I honestly feel a larger % of PC games have their average knocked down by PC exclusive critics.

^^
I'd say you're right on that, point. Not that I believe any 75% games are going to jump up to 95% all of a sudden, but PC titles tend to be 2% to 5% below consoles in most cases so far as I can see, more if the PC version is clearly worse, and occasionally where a game is very PC centric it may score more.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Or perhaps the standards are higher on PC. :o

I seem to recall RE5 and Batman: AA getting higher reviews for PC off the top of my head, though I'm too lazy to check right now.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
DirtyP2002 said:
shio said:
Barozi said:
vlad321 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

Neverwinter Nights 2
Drakensang
Mount & Blade
Mr. Robot

• The Witcher: 81 metacritic (2007)
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: 81 metacritic (2006)
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer: 82 metacritic (2007)
  • Drakensang: 75 metacritic (2009)
  • Mount & Blade: 72 metacritic (2008)
  • King's Bounty: The Legend: 79 metacritic (2008)
  • Mr. Robot: 83 metacritic (2007)
  • Guild Wars: Eye of the North: 79 metacritic (2007)

AWESOME GAMES!

PC WRPG's have higher standards than console games. Especially I find it amuzing that X360 version of Mass Effect has higher meta score than PC version when PC version is clearly better.

DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead

Don't be silly.