By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

They are already low res compared to PC's 2560 x 1600 Fallout 3, Dead Space awesome cant even come to play the supposed "HD" consoles although the Wii still holds a place because you cant get Nintendo games on the PC :)

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Around the Network

PC Gaming is dead.

Blizzard and Valve are the only ones supporting it big time. Former PC supporter are looking for a way to get on consoles for a reason (crytec, iD and even valve with Left 4 Dead, orange box etc.)

PC graphics do look better than console graphics, but not as big as it should. Last gen, the lack of HDTVs made PC games look MUCH better, this gen consoles made a nice move forward with better resolutions.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

Blizzard and Valve are the only ones supporting it big time. Former PC supporter are looking for a way to get on consoles for a reason (crytec, iD and even valve with Left 4 Dead, orange box etc.)

PC graphics do look better than console graphics, but not as big as it should. Last gen, the lack of HDTVs made PC games look MUCH better, this gen consoles made a nice move forward with better resolutions.

^This, you can close the thread now!

PC's have much better visuals its like a 1080p owner saying DVD's dont look better! Of course you can tell the difference!

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

I dunno. For example The Witcher came out, and it's PC only, and it's one of the best RPGs out there for a LONG LONG time. No rpg thi gen has been as awesome as this. Probably because all rpgs get watered down for the kiddy audiences of the consoles. I guess kinda how Wii owners get treated with their games that come down from the HD consoles.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
Bladeforce said:
They are already low res compared to PC's 2560 x 1600 Fallout 3, Dead Space awesome cant even come to play the supposed "HD" consoles although the Wii still holds a place because you cant get Nintendo games on the PC :)

*cough* you can.... even legally *cough*

Bladeforce said:

PC's have much better visuals its like a 1080p owner saying DVD's dont look better! Of course you can tell the difference!

Bad example. Watch the same video in 1080p and in 720p and the differences aren't that big at all. Infact if you don't have a very very big TV/monitor there's almost no reason to watch the video in 1080p.

vlad321 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

I dunno. For example The Witcher came out, and it's PC only, and it's one of the best RPGs out there for a LONG LONG time. No rpg thi gen has been as awesome as this. Probably because all rpgs get watered down for the kiddy audiences of the consoles. I guess kinda how Wii owners get treated with their games that come down from the HD consoles.

I'm a big fan of WRPG's and I don't like the Witcher.

Fallout 3 is a much much better game. Or to name a PC exclusive WRPG from the last few years: Gothic 3

Bladeforce said:

Or the obscene resolutions ATi's new cards are going to be putting out with Eyefinity...

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
DirtyP2002 said:

PC Gaming is dead.

If Pc gaming is dead, then why does the PC Games market keep growing, even this year, while consoles are declining in 2009?

Isnt the real question when PC graphics will on average become so much better that the majority will care? Its been over 3 years since a PC game cracked 5 million sales, some blame directx 10, I blame lack of interest. All of my friends that were PC gamers are console gamers now, I keep updating my computer (currently have a quad core with a gtx 275) but cant remember the last game i picked up for the PC, I think it was Orange box. The only guy I still know that plays pc games does so because he pirates them. Sure some games do look better on a pc...but just not enough to care.