By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

Barozi said:
Empire does a good job on the technical side, but visually it's just not in the top 50.

While Stalker Clear Sky has good effects, it's virtually unplayable. I've never seen such bad optimization. And personally I think the game looks rather boring and except for the effects not impressive at all.

Of course you can get better looking textures on an individual character in simpler games, but the amount of units and effects that can occur simutaniously in Empire TW is what is truly impressive.  If everyone of these units had textures the same quality as Killzone you would need greater than 4GB of video RAM.  I have played E:TW on my PC, and there is truly no match on consoles in terms of technical achievements, but I will agree that closed corridor FPS games will "appear" more impressive with the amazing texture work.

I have not really looked at this game very closely, but X3: Terran Conflict is also a very impressive looking game.  And it certianly looks like it could have the polish to look that impressive.

http://www.pcgamefuntime.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/x3_terran_conflict.jpg

Around the Network
Barozi said:
meehan666 said:
Barozi said:
Empire does a good job on the technical side, but visually it's just not in the top 50.

While Stalker Clear Sky has good effects, it's virtually unplayable. I've never seen such bad optimization. And personally I think the game looks rather boring and except for the effects not impressive at all.

You could say the same thing about killzone; it is devoid of color and doesn't have much in the way of landmarks. Even though S.T.A.L.K.E.R. takes place in a wasteland, at least it is full of trees and has color. 

While I think that Killzone 2 has a better look than Clear Sky (art style or whatever), I agree.

Especially the first 4 or 5 missions look exactly the same.....

Just to be clear, is this thread about art or tech? Because if we are considering art then what does the hardware superiority of the PC have to do with anything, considering the Wii has games that are artistically superior to many HD console and PC games (like Muramasa). Personally, my favorite game from an artistic standpoint is still Prince Of Persia, and PC had the best version. 

meehan666 said:
Barozi said:
meehan666 said:
Barozi said:

You could say the same thing about killzone; it is devoid of color and doesn't have much in the way of landmarks. Even though S.T.A.L.K.E.R. takes place in a wasteland, at least it is full of trees and has color. 

While I think that Killzone 2 has a better look than Clear Sky (art style or whatever), I agree.

Just to be clear, is this thread about art or tech? Because if we are considering art then what does the hardware superiority of the PC have to do with anything, considering the Wii has games that are artistically superior to many HD console and PC games (like Muramasa). Personally, my favorite game from an artistic standpoint is still Prince Of Persia, and PC had the best version. 

Both I guess. But when it's still questionable if games on consoles looks better (technically or artistically) than games on the PC, then I think the OP question is justified.

Muramasa looks very very good, it's just stupid I might say, to compare it to anything but a 2D sidescroller.

Barozi said:
meehan666 said:
Barozi said:
meehan666 said:
Barozi said:

Both I guess. But when it's still questionable if games on consoles looks better (technically or artistically) than games on the PC, then I think the OP question is justified.

Muramasa looks very very good, it's just stupid I might say, to compare it to anything but a 2D sidescroller.

The only problem between the 2 differences is one is objective and the other is purely subjective.  You can't choose the one you want and compare it to the other.

largedarryl said:
Barozi said:
meehan666 said:
Barozi said:
meehan666 said:
Barozi said:

The only problem between the 2 differences is one is objective and the other is purely subjective.  You can't choose the one you want and compare it to the other.

True

Around the Network
Barozi said:
meehan666 said:
Barozi said:
meehan666 said:
Barozi said:

See I thought we were strictly talking tech, because how do you objectively compare art style? Art sytle has more to do with the individual developer and less to do with the platform.

meehan666 said:
Barozi said:
meehan666 said:
Barozi said:

It has to be tech.  Art style is subjective.  You can only compare graphics technically as per the OP question.  Which means PC of course.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

There is a clear gap between the consoles and pcs right know, and probably the only reason for the slow growin of this gap is budget.

Anyway, CryEngine 2 (Pc) vs CryEngine 3 (Consoles)

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
FJ-Warez said:

There is a clear gap between the consoles and pcs right know, and probably the only reason for the slow growin of this gap is budget.

Anyway, CryEngine 2 (Pc) vs CryEngine 3 (Consoles)

And what resolutionos are we talking about here?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

This video is in low resolution yet you can still see the difference between the two.