By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are Sony And Rockstar Negotiating More Exclusivity?

I said it awhiles back; PS3 will have an exclusive/s GTA game/s.

Also, by this time, the PS3's user base will be much bigger, and Rockstar knows that if it was PS3 exclusive, it would sell more PS3's, too. Not to mention GTA being bigger and a more bad arss game!

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Around the Network
TRios_Zen said:
Am I to understand from the "money isn't everything" comment, that R* plans on cutting out more than half of it's customers (7+ million that bought GTA IV on 360), with NO fiduciary incentive?

Wow, not only did I not realize that R* was a not-for-profit company, I didn't realize how altruistic they are. Truly they do not care about making any money, just doing what is best for Sony customers. Amazing!

They wouldn't do it if they thought they wouldn't make money. Using exclusivity to create a name for a game can really help in sales and bring in figures that it may have not gotten if it was multi-plat. It's arguable that exclusivity can really help a franchise when you think about franchises like Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, Gears on 360, Halo on Xbox1. Resident Evil on PS1. And to a certain extent; GTA3 on PS2 and FFVII on PS1. Both series really took off when these two games came, and as exclusives.

I can think of more examples like these compared to huge multiplat franchises... Mmmm.... Assassin's Creed... Call of Duty.... mmm... uhhhh.... Need for Speed??

This wouldn't work for GTA, I think it's too late now since GTA4's already here and Multiplat. GTA5 would sell great as an exclusive, no doubt. Perhaps even 8M+ on PS3. However GTA4 has higher sales than that if you add up the two versions.

4 ≈ One

TRios_Zen said:
Vanversive said:
TRios_Zen said:
Am I to understand from the "money isn't everything" comment, that R* plans on cutting out more than half of it's customers (7+ million that bought GTA IV on 360), with NO fiduciary incentive?

Wow, not only did I not realize that R* was a not-for-profit company, I didn't realize how altruistic they are. Truly they do not care about making any money, just doing what is best for Sony customers. Amazing!

That can be flip flopped with the exlusive dlc 360 gets for gta4. This is just with new ip's, not that far fetched to me.

@bolded: to each his own, if true I'd love to be a fly on that wall... 

R* Exec: "Hey, lets cut out 30 million possible customers, cause you know, Sony's been cool to us in the past." 

R* Board: "What is Sony offering us in return... nothing?  Cool let's do it!"

Sony may have said that in the past, but I remember in an article from eidos that sony “paid” for the joker content on batman AA, so maybe this is a thing of the past. Ive learned from working from my own corporation (at&t) that a lot goes on behind closed doors that they dont say to the public, or will use different language to make something sound like something else. I doubt this is just good will to sony.

If it gets GTA exclusive and fills a blu-ray I will purchase a PS3 in 5 seconds.

Dgc1808 said:
TRios_Zen said:

They wouldn't do it if they thought they wouldn't make money. Using exclusivity to create a name for a game can really help in sales and bring in figures that it may have not gotten if it was multi-plat. It's arguable that exclusivity can really help a franchise when you think about franchises like Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, Gears on 360, Halo on Xbox1. Resident Evil on PS1. And to a certain extent; GTA3 on PS2 and FFVII on PS1. Both series really took off when these two games came, and as exclusives.

I can think of more examples like these compared to huge multiplat franchises... Mmmm.... Assassin's Creed... Call of Duty.... mmm... uhhhh.... Need for Speed??

This wouldn't work for GTA, I think it's too late now since GTA4's already here and Multiplat. GTA5 would sell great as an exclusive, no doubt. Perhaps even 8M+ on PS3. However GTA4 has higher sales than that if you add up the two versions.

I don't want hi-jack this thread, but I would respectfully disagree.  In my opinion the games you named (MGS, Gears, Halo, Resident Evil) are all kick-ass games, that would have sold TONS had they been available on other platforms at the time of thier release.  Exclusivity helped the platform they were on MUCH more than it did the sales of that particular game.  Why do you think some have now gone multi-plat?

That being said, ALL I am suggesting is that if R* and Sony come up with some kind of deal, there was some type of fiduciary incentive, to believe otherwise is, IMO, fairly naive.

edit: @van - see above, I think we are in agreement here.

Around the Network

Sorry, one more thing. Rockstar has confirmed before that they are working on 3 exclusives for the PS3. We know one; Agent. LA Noir I would suspect is not another, due to it being mainly developed by Team Bondi. So at least one other, maybe 2, RS exclusives comming to the PS3... interesting.

Very slow start for the PS3, but it looks to be rocking from here on out!

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

"I told them GTA would be too much of a stretch considering how good the game did on the Xbox 360, to which they replied "Money isn't always everything"

wth? what else could be the reason? what else is more important than 7-8 million sales lol.

this article seems very uncredible now.

Maybe they care for quality.

Maybe they can get a better quality product out of the PS3, than if the game was multiplat?

Oh, and the whole "exclusive thing will hurt RS" is quashed, (and a load of shit) when u check the sales for all the PS2 GTA games. What is GTA:SA at now, 16 mil?

@Hanzo

San Andreas isn't exclusive.

And the PS2 version is at 18 Million, if you include the Xbox version its at 20+ Million.