By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ridiculous IGN FIFA 2010 review.

Hyruken said:
Another thing IGN actually appear in PES as sponsors on the boardings so if anything they are normally pro PES.

On the reviews right now it is at 92%+ on metacritic, one of the highest rated sports games ever.

I guess they all must be wrong right?

As i said previously im a huge PES fan but fifa 09 and 10 are far better then the last 2 PES's.
Konami have struggled this gen with PES so i think it is time they took it away for a year or so like EA did and just work on it from scratch. They need to stop making it a yearly game because since it has been it has been pants.

What year did EA skip?

Around the Network

Actually, a 92% on metacritic will put it, in the best chance, at number 25 in the sports games rating, with both PES 1 and PES 2 above FIFA 2010, and those are even far away from the 95% rating of ISS Pro Evolution 2, which makes it the best football game, in review standarts, which I myself consider ridicuolous, even being a huge ISS fan myself.

That brings me to my next consideration, which is, that it's ridiculous to use metacritic as a reference of quality of games, but, as almost all people are doing it, at least have the decency to do it the proper way.
I agree with the fact that the last FIFA games have been better than PES, but both games offer two different kinds of approach to how football is played, it's normal that people like one or the other.

I just don't agree is with the name calling, from both sides, that's been going on in this thread, people have the right to enjoy what they like, and if you don't like the other choice, the best thing that you have to do about it, is at least respect people's opinion.

http://apps.metacritic.com/search/process.shtml?page=3&sid=MTI1NDA4MjMwNzA0MS43NzI3NjQ*&metascore_s=&game_genres=sports&ts=&release_date_s=&release_date_e=&metascore_e=&y=4&ty=3&x=12&sb=5&tfs=game_all

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

zexen_lowe said:
Hyruken said:
Another thing IGN actually appear in PES as sponsors on the boardings so if anything they are normally pro PES.

On the reviews right now it is at 92%+ on metacritic, one of the highest rated sports games ever.

I guess they all must be wrong right?

As i said previously im a huge PES fan but fifa 09 and 10 are far better then the last 2 PES's.
Konami have struggled this gen with PES so i think it is time they took it away for a year or so like EA did and just work on it from scratch. They need to stop making it a yearly game because since it has been it has been pants.

What year did EA skip?

Looked it up on Wikipedia and it seemed that EA didn't skip anything....

hsrob said:
zexen_lowe said:
-ku- said:
It's funny how we're assuming PES is going to be better , being the complaint of the Author, when PES has only been better than FIFA once or twice in it's life time.

Second Konami always screws up features for could be amazing games or god games (MGS4 online being an example)

Whaaaaa???

We can argue 2008 and 2009 (I still think that PES 2009 is much better than Fifa 09, at least PC versions), but I think everyone accepts it as a fact that PES owned Fifa in all the PS2 iterations

I'll second that "whaaaaaa?".  Fifa has always had it over PES in presentation and style, but has nearly always played the poorer game according to the vast majority of people who know anything about, play or like football. There may have been several years in the last ten where FIFA got close enough to make it a contest but prior to 2008 i don't think FIFA was ever  the better game.

To be honest PES has always been considered easier to get into, while Fifa took longer to master. Which is why Fifa was always frowned upon. Until recently PES only had 8 directionsto run in. While Fifa has been using full 360 degree movement for ages. PES was more accessable.

perpride said:
^ Oh I will deffinitley try it. I'm just saying, PES is on a different level. It's like comparing GT to NFS. One is a simulator, the other is arcade.

I cant call a game where only recently it had 360 degree player movement a sim. PES was doing 8 directional movements all through PS2 days.

Around the Network

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fifa-man-bigs-up-360-degree-control

http://www.360plex.com/news/view/519381/

Actually, FIFA has also used the 8-way direction movement, they are just implementing the 360 degree control in FIFA 2010, just like PES 2010 is doing it.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fifa-man-bigs-up-360-degree-control

http://www.360plex.com/news/view/519381/

Actually, FIFA has also used the 8-way direction movement, they are just implementing the 360 degree control in FIFA 2010, just like PES 2010 is doing it.

I just put on Fifa 08 and I could run in any direction on the analog stick. So I dont understand what those articles are on about. I'm doing it right now. Do you think they mean shooting????

The difference is not really that perceptible at first, since FIFA used the 8-way move including diagonal vectors, which mimicked the effect of a 360 degree control. I've played the FIFA 2010 demo and found quite some difference between 09 and 10, it feels more fluid and manageable in the 2010 version.

Current PC Build

selnor said:
hsrob said:
zexen_lowe said:
-ku- said:
It's funny how we're assuming PES is going to be better , being the complaint of the Author, when PES has only been better than FIFA once or twice in it's life time.

Second Konami always screws up features for could be amazing games or god games (MGS4 online being an example)

Whaaaaa???

We can argue 2008 and 2009 (I still think that PES 2009 is much better than Fifa 09, at least PC versions), but I think everyone accepts it as a fact that PES owned Fifa in all the PS2 iterations

I'll second that "whaaaaaa?".  Fifa has always had it over PES in presentation and style, but has nearly always played the poorer game according to the vast majority of people who know anything about, play or like football. There may have been several years in the last ten where FIFA got close enough to make it a contest but prior to 2008 i don't think FIFA was ever  the better game.

To be honest PES has always been considered easier to get into, while Fifa took longer to master. Which is why Fifa was always frowned upon. Until recently PES only had 8 directionsto run in. While Fifa has been using full 360 degree movement for ages. PES was more accessable.

While PES may be/have been more accessible this is a gross oversimplification of why it was considered better the better game in the short and the long term. It had far better ball physics, much more intuitive and fluid controls, better player animations, a much better balance between the running and passing game, more varied and realistic ways of scoring goals, player tactics and management that actually influenced gameplay and so on.  I've owned several games in both franchises, and extensively played most of the others, starting since 1995, so accessibly for either franchise was never really an issue for me.  PES (and ISS) was generally just the better and more realistic football game, with its only major shortcomings being the lack of licenses and general presentation.

Since 08 though, FIFA has definitely gotten back into the game with a bang.