By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY'S PSP VS NINTENDO'S DS

Nintendogamer said:
TrevDaRev said:
Nintendogamer said:
Your forgetting about the real proper good DS games.

Maybe I am, list a few. I won't pretend that DS games are bad, I know there is good ones out there.

Mario & luigi Partners in time

The legend of zelda: Phantom hourglass

Professor layton and the curious village

Proffesor layton & pandora's box

Mario 64 DS

Mario & luigi Bowsers inside story

New super mario bros

Trauma center under the knife 2

I could go on a bit longer

Yeah there's some good games up there, I really did enjoy New Super Mario Bros tbh.

Around the Network

There are a crapload of JRPGs at least, ports and otherwise, on the DS that make no attemp whatsoever to make use of the touchscreen. Plus a DS is worth it to me if only for the Ace Attorney series.

Right now from what interests me there's more stuff coming to the psp than to the ds, but it's been the other wat around plenty of times.

Yes, the DS has a lot of games (including a lot of shovelware) oriented at young kids, and also specifically young girls but nobody is forcing anyone to play them.

At this point to me it's worth owning both systems, both have plenty to offer.

TrevDaRev said:
Nintendogamer said:
TrevDaRev said:
Nintendogamer said:

Maybe I am, list a few. I won't pretend that DS games are bad, I know there is good ones out there.

Mario 64 DS

New super mario bros

Yeah there's some good games up there, I really did enjoy New Super Mario Bros tbh.

You should get mario & luigi Bowsers inside story, comes out on th 9th October. I hate it when people only talk about the bad DS games, but there are gems out there ;)

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

I actually believe that the DS is more for what is traditionally though of as 'old school' gaming than any console for a long time beforehand.

Its weakness is actually in the more modern 'core' gaming crowd that came around when the PS1 launched - the people that see the type of games released by Nintendo as 'kiddy' because they have cartoony graphics.

To be honest from the sound of your post you fit more in the second group.

nordlead said:
At 17 years old you would have been playing that at the very end of it's life cycle. Either way, if you want to compare systems, at least do a tiny bit of research. I'll say the DS is better than the PSP, but not because the PSP had more cheers for Hanna Montana at E3 09 than any other game.

Maybe I was, but back then I didn't know anything about life cycle of a game console, I was over the moon when I got them to me they were new.

Around the Network
Nintendogamer said:
TrevDaRev said:
Nintendogamer said:
TrevDaRev said:
Nintendogamer said:

Mario 64 DS

New super mario bros

You should get mario & luigi Bowsers inside story, comes out on th 9th October. I hate it when people only talk about the bad DS games, but there are gems out there ;)

Whats it about? I would have to borrow my sisters DS then..LOL

You'll be amazed how many guys play Nintendogs.

@OP: Since you don't think DS deserves the credits it gets for offering more games, I would love to see some examples where PSP offers more JRPG/RPG games than DS. Or SRPG. Or puzzle games. Or adventure games. Or platformers. Or music games. Or fighting games.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

PSP

The PSP is "Old school" for anyone who grew up on the PS1. If you are an "old school" gamer from before the 3D changeover, the DS has way more to offer for you. I owned a PSP, and so far I would say Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass is better, and more "old school" and I'd even argue "hardcore" than all of the games I played on the PSP (Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Resistance: Retribution, Killzone: Liberation, Syphon Filter, GOW:COO, MGS: Portable Ops are the big ones I played).

Threads like this is why such a sticky exists -

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=36367

(no, i dont feel like making a giant list since thats what the above link is for)

unfortunately you seem to assume that "teh casualz" is all that exist on the system - but at least you're polite about it. But theres a rediculous amount of core games on the console, including being the best console this generation for JRPGs (IMO, but the only other thing to compete with it is the 360, no?). On top of that - considering "old school games" - ive seen quite a few sequels to older games popping up on the DS, such as Contra 4 and FF tactics 2 (seeing as the former 2 were released in '97 and '03 respectively), or just balls out hard games as were the habit of the old games (etrian odyssey and dark spire, for example. 

...honestly? i dont see how you call yourself an old school gamer if you haven't looked at the DS for anything past it's casual games - it'd be the same mistake as me looking at the psp and thinking "oh, thats just GTA, GoW and MGS, and no different then their PS2 counterparts no less" since that'd be ignoring games such as patapon and "prinny: Can i really be the hero?" and so on.

..besides, i bought my DS to play games. I dont need extra multimedia features since just about every phone can do that now-a-days, but meh.

saicho said:
@OP: Since you don't think DS deserves the credits it gets for offering more games, I would love to see some examples where PSP offers more JRPG/RPG games than DS. Or SRPG. Or puzzle games. Or adventure games. Or platformers. Or music games. Or fighting games.

Thats about right. the only place i think the PSP outdoes the DS is in shooters and racing games, fighting games im not sure, not a big fan. Action is etchy because the DS has its own hefty selection, but its more of a personal choice matter at that point (do you prefer god of war? or Legend of Zelda?), though looking over the PSP library id easily opt out for the DS'. I love me some bangai-Oh.

um..stuff