By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Microsoft interested in buying EA

Would MS even be legally allowed to buy EA?

I thought EA had difficulty buying Rockstar, not just because R* were stubborn, but also because there were concerns it would be anti-competitive or something.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6189434.html

Around the Network

If this happens I'd have to get a Microsoft console every gen because as bad as Madden may be I still need a football game every year.

I know this would absolutely kill Sony, EA Sports is everything -especially for in America, I really don't know that the SEC would even allow this kind of takeover. Microsoft would do it if given the opportunity, they're here to kill off Sony first and foremost.

@Mr Khan: Regarding shareholders, MS would own a majority of EA which means it might be in the best interest of the shareholders to focus on improving products for X360 and not invest in development for the PS3. Also the shareholders would be able to sell their shares at probably higher then market value, part of MS trying to persuade the majority of shareholders to sell. I'm not sure how EA works though...

Either way... bad for SONY. It would be a good move for MS.

I could live without games like Madden, The Sims, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, NHL and Dead Space.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

Wow so that would actually give me the arguement "You guys want Madden? Not on PS3 or Wii! only on 360".

That would be HUGE for 360 sales.

It's just that simple.

Demotruk said:
What on Earth is a "TRUE gamer"? Is it anything like a "true scotsman"?

Well, one of the characteristics of a true gamer is one who believes in competition.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

read somewhere that some of the IPs are multiplatform and there would be a case for anti-competitive laws or something... but that wouldn't stop them from creating new IPs with the same/similar gameplay.

I believe EA is also a distributor/publisher for so, while this doesn't impact me that much as a multiplatform user, i have to say that there are some games that i like on the ps3 and some that i like on the 360. I'd hate for some avenues to be cut with this takeover.

Demotruk said:

CGI-Quality's definition of "True gamer" is "Someone who agrees with me"

Contrast: "Fanboy" = "Someone who disagrees with me".

kidding

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Jordahn said:
Demotruk said:

Well, one of the characteristics of a true gamer is one who believes in competition.

I guess it is quite like a true scotsman then...

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.