By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Microsoft interested in buying EA

If this was true, I can see Microsoft's stratagy being to seperate each studio one by one making them viable enough to bring in money, sell off the ones that don't make money and keep madden ect multiplatform.

Around the Network
dorbin2009 said:
Vetteman94 said:
Uberkiffer said:
If it happened can you guys imagine Madden being xbox 360 exclusive? Damn!

Madden cant be exclusive

Timed exclusive.

I dont think the agreement would even allow for that

No big shock if they would be trying to buy EA. The games they make are pretty much 1:1 to their market (aside from the recent Wii titles they've been going for). And MS is always looking for a way to get past that 'threshold' they are stuck at in the gaming market. Focusing on the American market and the teen market isn't going to do it, so maybe they'll just go into producing the games...

Six upcoming games you should look into:

CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
I hope it will happen.

I'm curious, why?

First for the reason Kow said, 'for the shitstorm'. It would be epic to witness the fuzz, the hate and the fear. And it would give us the feeling of control - the hope that we'd get a bunch of new exclusives and a chance to dominate for once (real or illusionary feeling of control, that I don't know).

Aquiring EA wouldn't be worth it for MS from a business perspective, but it would be a nice present for the fans.

I doubt that it would work out like that, even if they are acquired. They'll actually be alienating their fanbase, which is neither funny nor good for the gaming industry. I can't see how TRUE gamers would applaud that.

What do you mean, who will alienate their fanbase? MS?

Vetteman94 said:
dorbin2009 said:
Vetteman94 said:
Uberkiffer said:
If it happened can you guys imagine Madden being xbox 360 exclusive? Damn!

Madden cant be exclusive

Timed exclusive.

I dont think the agreement would even allow for that

From what I understand, and I might be wrong, the agreement is only that EA release Madden on all platforms. I don't believe that it says anything about on the same date. It would probably depend on the EA buyout though, as the NFL would probably have to re-structure the contract to reflect the new company ; Stompsoft.

Regardless, even if its a difference of one or two weeks, timed sports exclusives might as well be exclusives, as I can only imagine the kind of advertising that would get

"Play Madden 11 one week earlier on the 360, the home for all things sports"... /cringe

Ugh the more I talk about this the more I think this is actually going to happen.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
I hope it will happen.

I'm curious, why?

First for the reason Kow said, 'for the shitstorm'. It would be epic to witness the fuzz, the hate and the fear. And it would give us the feeling of control - the hope that we'd get a bunch of new exclusives and a chance to dominate for once (real or illusionary feeling of control, that I don't know).

Aquiring EA wouldn't be worth it for MS from a business perspective, but it would be a nice present for the fans.

I doubt that it would work out like that, even if they are acquired. They'll actually be alienating their fanbase, which is neither funny nor good for the gaming industry. I can't see how TRUE gamers would applaud that.

EA.

Only a small fraction of consumers would boycott EA games if they were bought out by Microsoft. From a business perspective, having the stability of being apart of one of the largest brands in the world is worth losing maybe 10,000 customers? You can't put a price on that kind of stability (though they are ..ironically..putting a price on that kind of stability).

CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
I hope it will happen.

I'm curious, why?

EA.

Yes, but dont u think it could be done like some suggested - that most games would continue be multiplatform, and only some key titles would become exclusives?

Come on Microsoft, just buy BioWare off of EA, that's all I want!

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

What on Earth is a "TRUE gamer"? Is it anything like a "true scotsman"?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

I would think there would be a lot of resistance on the end of EA investors, depending on how exactly Microsoft wanted to do it. If it would mean EA would be merged with Microsoft Game Studios, and produce exclusively for Microsoft systems, i think EA shareholders would fight to the end to not lose 2/3 of their potential revenue (and that's if we're only talking consoles)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.