By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Microsoft interested in buying EA

Konami would love this.

Around the Network

This would be ridiculous...let it happen so axumblade can change his Domed-O-Meter, lol

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

AlkamistStar said:
This would be ridiculous...let it happen so axumblade can change his Domed-O-Meter, lol

Why, last time I checked it was on the PS3

CGI-Quality said:
bonkers555 said:
For everyone who say unlikely, I thought Disney buying out Marvel was unlikely too.

Are you serious? This situation is not even close to being comparable. Think about what you're saying, you think EA is going to give up the oppurtunity to supply their franchises to 5+ systems at once, for just one console and perhaps the PC? What's in it for them? Think about that for a moment, I mean REALLY think...

Lets see. The stock holders would sell their stock of the company, and get a really nice profit. Then they would go on and invest in another company

And more than likely EA would be no more. It would probably just get its named change to MGS

CGI-Quality said:
bonkers555 said:
For everyone who say unlikely, I thought Disney buying out Marvel was unlikely too.

Are you serious? This situation is not even close to being comparable. Think about what you're saying, you think EA is going to give up the oppurtunity to supply their franchises to 5+ systems at once, for just one console and perhaps the PC? What's in it for them? Think about that for a moment, I mean REALLY think...

There are lots of reasons to be skeptical, but this isn't one of them. EA needs to make money: it's been in a profit freefall this whole generation, and while it looks like that's slowly changing, I have to emphasize the "slowly" part. If EA's stockholders decide that EA's current strategy isn't working for them (and they have lots of supporting evidence for this conclusion), it would not be unforeseeable that they'd, for example, sell their shares of the company to Microsoft: better to make a quick buck than to stay on a sinking ship. And there are tons of other methods stockholders could go about selling the company to EA in exchange for pursuing more of the almighty dollar.

Long story short, it's the company's owners, not the amorphous company itself, that will decide whether or not to sell.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

dbot said:

I can't imagine the other third party developers would be too thrilled with an EA/Microsoft alliance.

What are they going to do about it? Abandon the 360? That would require them to sacrifice the bulk of the HD market. Make more Wii games? HA! Focus more on handhelds? HAHA!

Yes, that is exactly what I think would happen.  

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Timed exclusive + sports games = Other platforms being irrelevant while still receiving the game.

nordlead said:
That would be huge if it happened, but highly unlikely. EA makes its money by producing multiplatform games. Microsoft would either be forced to produce games for competitors hardware or throw away 4/5ths of EA's potential income which would make the company worthless. Granted EA does make some exclusives, but Microsoft would be better off buying a highly talented studio that focuses on 1 platform at a time. So a company like Level 5 would be a better choice.

Level 5 and Sony have a close relationship. Mistwalker would be easier.

OT: That will very likely not happen. If it does, a massive shitstorm will follow.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

dbot said:
noname2200 said:
dbot said:

I can't imagine the other third party developers would be too thrilled with an EA/Microsoft alliance.

What are they going to do about it? Abandon the 360? That would require them to sacrifice the bulk of the HD market. Make more Wii games? HA! Focus more on handhelds? HAHA!

Yes, that is exactly what I think would happen.  

So you're noting that they'd be unhappy, but would keep acting exactly the same.

Cool beans.

There goes EA losing the exclusive NFL license, if that happens.