By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Muramasa sold over 50k in NA for the first week

outlawauron said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
NYANKS said:
Zucas said:
I was very surprised by these numbers. Obviously it built up quite a cult fanbase for the game. Doubt it'll have legs like Odin Sphere but it is good to see a moderate size of Wii gamers waiting for such Wii games.

50,000 is a mdoerate size of Wii gamers? I'm really not trying to flame, but isn't that kind of on the lower side.  Games seem like they keep getting praised for 100,000 or 200,000 sales.  It's not bad, but it seems like their is always a reason for it not selling more.  Not that their have been an astounding amount of efforts attempted like this game, but still..... 

The thing is that they would have sold about as much on the HD systems. Just that the cost would have been higher, so they would have lost money.

These are niche titles, and 50K is actually a good opening for them. Just the Wii, DS, and PSP mean their budgets are in a reasonable range.

Valkyria Chronicles sold well, but for a PS3 game, it's not spectacular. If the sequel sells even half that well on the PSP, it's a success.

It might have even sold less, because of the bias towards 2D games (that aren't fighters) and less userbase.

But that aside, the fact that this game sold 50k at the beginning is a good sign.  And these games aren't always frontloaded.  Don't get them confused with Final Fantasy or Pokemon.  What may help this game sell better is word of mouth and a long shelf life.  As well as a later price cut which may spur a second small surge in sales.

lol, HD gamers are biased against 2D games? What evidence do you have?

How about the tons of comments on Muramasa videos on places like Youtube/gametrailers/etc stating 'game sux' because its 2D.

Or how the game is getting downscored by reviewers because its a 2D game on the Wii that 'doesn't innovate anything' while being compared to games like SotN and even its predecessor Odin Sphere (how is this game getting lower scores than Odin Sphere again...?).

Or how about comments from people on this very board.  Just spend some time looking around.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

Very good. It should have good legs.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

LordTheNightKnight said:

The thing is that they would have sold about as much on the HD systems. Just that the cost would have been higher, so they would have lost money.

These are niche titles, and 50K is actually a good opening for them. Just the Wii, DS, and PSP mean their budgets are in a reasonable range.

Valkyria Chronicles sold well, but for a PS3 game, it's not spectacular. If the sequel sells even half that well on the PSP, it's a success.

This is in fact one of the biggest problem this gen: "niche" games will (nearly) never be blockbusters, and devs can't afford to spend millions and millions of dollars on such games... with the costs of HD, it means such games don't have the right to exist anymore...

I mean, what's the point in a industry where only the 20 or 30 biggest blockbusters each year have a chance to make huge profits?

I'll do a simple analogy, as i've always worked in the music business: imagine the costs for making an album are suddenly so high that any artist/group now needs to sell 1 million CD's to make profits... it would be a real disaster for 90% of the groups/singers/musicians out there... and we would only have the music featured on radio/tv and in the charts...

Some famous artists may have talent, but "niche" artists may have even more: what about creativity and originality when a business becomes so risk-averse that no one wants to fund "niche projects"? It applies to any art form and any media out there, but imho, videogames are in the worst position...

If i do another analogy, with animated movies this time: the "userbase" for any Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks is universal, it may be seen by hundreds of millions of people around the globe, in any theater or on any dvd player... and you want 50 hours long games with the same graphic qualities, for a userbase of what: 20, 30 million people?

If games become more expensive than most movies, this industry will simply kill itself...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

i will buy it soon, maybe it will sell more than 300k, that must be enough to get a sequel.

jugando ahora: Super Street fighter 4, ninokuni "ds"
playing now: NINOKUNI, Super Street fighter 4, kof 13
waiting for: 3ds to play street fighter 4 and zelda

Hopfully this won't get adjusted down, because those are good sales for it.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
68soul said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

This is in fact one of the biggest problem this gen: "niche" games will (nearly) never be blockbusters, and devs can't afford to spend millions and millions of dollars on such games... with the costs of HD, it means such games don't have the right to exist anymore...

I mean, what's the point in a industry where only the 20 or 30 biggest blockbusters each year have a chance to make huge profits?

I'll do a simple analogy, as i've always worked in the music business: imagine the costs for making an album are suddenly so high that any artist/group now needs to sell 1 million CD's to make profits... it would be a real disaster for 90% of the groups/singers/musicians out there... and we would only have the music featured on radio/tv and in the charts...

Some famous artists may have talent, but "niche" artists may have even more: what about creativity and originality when a business becomes so risk-averse that no one wants to fund "niche projects"? It applies to any art form and any media out there, but imho, videogames are in the worst position...

If i do another analogy, with animated movies this time: the "userbase" for any Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks is universal, it may be seen by hundreds of millions of people around the globe, in any theater or on any dvd player... and you want 50 hours long games with the same graphic qualities, for a userbase of what: 20, 30 million people?

If games become more expensive than most movies, this industry will simply kill itself...

And that is one of the two most important reasons Nintendo didn't make the Wii loaded with specs. The hardware costs would have been higher, and the game costs would be higher.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

preorders are estimated too... so muramasa might be overtracked

I dread to imagine what first week sales will be like in Europe. I hope to holy hell it can pull at least a fraction of US's first week.

How technical is your game?

IxisNaugus said:
I dread to imagine what first week sales will be like in Europe. I hope to holy hell it can pull at least a fraction of US's first week.

Europe sux its already been proven, look at Punch-out for example or Metroid Prime Trilogy, the Conduit, No More Heroes, or just about any other game. Europe must have outgrown videogames.

I have the wall scroll from EB

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence