By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS -- Halo: Reach beta will SELL ODST (like crackdown was)

Entertainment boss Stephen McGill says early access to 2010 release will draw fans to this year’s iteration

Microsoft has told MCV it believes that an exclusive beta key for Halo Reach will entice 360 owners to purchase Halo: ODST next week.

The FPS title is released on September 22nd in Europe, and offers players a chance to experience Halo: Reach – which isn’t released until next year – early.

Bungie-developed Reach was announced back in June during Microsoft's E3 presentation.

Xbox head of entertainment Stephen McGill told MCV: “The only way to access this beta will be through the Halo 3: ODST disc, so we feel there’s another extremely compelling reason for both fans and newcomers to the franchise to experience Halo 3: ODST.

“We saw the success of this mechanic with the Halo 3 multiplayer beta that came on the Crackdown game disc and the continued sales momentum and excitement generated around that title throughout its lifecycle, and we fully expect Halo 3: ODST to exceed that achievement.

It’s a great way to extend the shelf life of the title at retail, and allows us to deliver some cool and creative sustained marketing activity around the game throughout 2010.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35799/Halo-Reach-demo-will-sell-ODST-says-Microsoft

It would've sold ON ITS OWN

but still.....I actually really like these things they are doing, it increases the value of buying something for $60/£40 exponentially!

sony should do it too.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

It would have sold well regardless of Reach.

Reach is just an added bonus... a BIG added bonus.

Heres one for ya: Halo ODST will sell well because...

Well...

Get ready for it...

HALO!

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:
Heres one for ya: Halo ODST will sell well because...

Well...

Get ready for it...

HALO!

really? I thought Halo was a small game series no?

Really excited to see what this game does!

Around the Network

Yeah I would imagine having the Reach beta will make ODST sell around half a million more copies than if it hadn't.

Judging by the pre-orders before this announcement, I'd say it was going to do great on its own, but this will only help push it's sales up further so it's a good move from MS/Bungie.

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360

Reach is going to be so massive.. graphics, story, new engine and multiplayer-wise.. I mean, ODST would've sold like hotcakes alone, so imagine w/ Reach beta.. biggest Halo entry yet. Should've just called it Halo 4 IMO.

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

He is saying that he is expecting to see a boost in sales again in 2010 when the beta starts.

I suppose you are will get a few more Halo 3 players upgrade... but I would assume they are hardcore enough Halo fans to get the game anyway