By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Exclusives are Graphical Beasts!

People like to start fights, i like to finish them.

Its been said ever since the PS3 was released that the Playstation 3 is the most powerful piece of hardware out there when it came to videogames and their graphics. I don't know!? Who really cares? But what I do know is that the PS3 has seen a very nice upward trend when it comes to delivering quality looking games as of late.

In my opinion it all started with Uncharted. A game that is still to this day second to non when it comes to stylish and great graphical aspects from a videogame. And it is known throughout the videogame community as one of PS3s best looking games, if not prior to this year announcements, THE best looking game. It's been awarded and nominated for its superior graphics throughout the internet and game magazines when it was first released, and still continues to be mentioned whenever there's a "graphics war" in different forums.

Later on in the PS3s lifecycle came the hugely anticipated Metal Gear Solid 4. A game so well polished in graphics, gameplay and story that it was awarded multiple GOTY awards from sites like IGN and Gamespot. Its been referenced in several gaming magazines as the best looking game to ever come out in 2008. It still holds strong compared to recent announcements such as Uncharted 2 and GoW3, and continues to impress you with stunning scenery and amazing graphics.

Fans of the franchise says that this is the best looking game released on the PS3 to this day. Trumphing the previously mentioned Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and Killzone 2, though fans on both sides agrees to disagree on which title should be crowned having the best graphics released on the PS3.

Out came Killzone 2, which is known specificly for its graphics. Graphics being one of the key features when they developed this game, and Sony marketing this game as the best looking game out there, with no chance of its graphics being met by any other console. They really aimed to make sure that the graphics in this game was mind blowing.. and Im willing to agree. Among reviews, internet sites and forums, this game is always mentioned when it comes to messuring which console got the best technically advanced graphics in a game.

The game have claimed Best of E3 2008 for its stunning graphics and Youremgn.com listed it as the second best looking game to come out in 2009, just behind Gran Turismo 5, and their comminuty as The best looking game to come out in 2009. The game is universaly known throughout the videogame community for being a graphical beast.

Soon to be released Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time looks to continue this trend judging by the media being released for it. People in the buisness and fans of the franchise have even drawn reference to the graphics being on par with animated blockbuster movies from Disney Pixar, such as Toy Story, Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo. And it looks like it will deliver. Due in October of this year its been climbing higher and higher on peoples wishlists and we'll see come October if the graphics are as stunning as people expect from this game. I have no doubts.

Just when you thought you'd seen what this generation could produce when it comes to amazing visuals, one of PS3s most beloved and best looking games of this generation, gets a sequal! And they seem to have taken it even further. Its already spoken of as a sure GOTY candidate and won multiple awards at E3 including Best of E3 2009.

The well written dialogs and story of the first game was always the key thing to its success, though graphics was also one of the main things since the PS3 was being released and marketed as the most powerful console of this generation. They felt they needed a game to show it off, and they sure did. Looking at previews and video footage of the sequal, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves clearly showcase that Naughty Dog and the PS3 can push things even further to represent the graphics possible for this generation. This game is being recognised as the best looking game announced so far this gen.

Then came the announcement of God of War 3, a much loved franchise since the PS2 era. And the third instalment seems to bring us more of that visual good stuff looking at the amazing enviorments, scenery, gore and action thats been published. The graphics shown at both E3 and GamesCon looks to keep the PS3 graphical trend at a high level.

Due to release in March of 2010, it is already being spoken of as a top 5 contender for the best looking game to be released so far this generation. And thats saying alot based on previous games mentioned, where it continues to stun us with amazing visuals among games thats been awarded for their graphics. So 2010 looks like it can impress us and even go beyond of what we though was possible when it came to graphical masterpieces.

We've been anticipating this game for quite some time now, and it looks like its finally here. Not yet set on what date it feels would be a good date to be released on, this game franchise is and have always been the franchise that sparked the discussions on graphics. This game is the most anticipated graphical beast yet to be released. The fanbase is enormous and everyone is expecting the arrival of god the saviour himself to appear alongside the graphics of this game.

Judging by footage, previous records, screenshots and the reputation of the developer themself, this game is bound to be jawdropping gorgeous.

Heavy Rain ladies and gentlemen. Due out in 2010 the PS3 exclusive continues to build on the momentum previous exclusives have set. Already being very well talked about when speaking of graphics, and looking at screenshots and videos you can see why. Heavy Rain dosen't just continue on the trend, it delivers an upercut right to the jaw on previously known graphical possibilities. Ding ding ding! It shows us just how well polished and advanced visuals the PS3 can deliver if you put some effort into it. Heavy Rain gives gamers a chance to play a game with graphics soo close to Real Life you can almost touch it. Even though we're talking about a 2010 title, we're still in 2009. What will be in store for us late 2010!? One can only imagine.

Honourable mentions:

There's graphics and then there's graphics. There's two titles that has been mentioned as being the most gorgeous looking games out there this generation, that being Valkyria Chronicles and LittleBigPlanet. Both brought innovative design, visuals, gameplay and stories. They might not compare to previously mentioned titles when it comes to epic graphics, but they sure are second to non when it boils down to being two of the best looking games ever to be released this generation. Both have won awards such as Best Artistic Graphics of 2008 from different sites.

LitteBigPlanet 

So whats the conclusion of this thread? Nothing really. Just a thread to showcase how the PS3 has managed to bring us the most impressive looking games ever to see the light of day. And they are all exclusive games that shows just what the PS3 is capable of. You can try to plead your case to why there are better looking games out there, but no matter where you look, these PS3 exclusives will always be in the light of comparison, highlighting my point that the PS3 might not be the most powerful console out there, but it sure as hell delivers games that makes it shine as bright or brighter than anything else out there.

Enjoy.

Around the Network

PS3 Does indeed have good graphics,otherwise you'd be playing PS2.

Beautiful thread you got there.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I couldnt believe my eyes, some awesome screenshots

GOD DAMN does K2 look good.

Around the Network

Overall i love the thread.

Although a lack of Heavy Rain is indeed disturbing

I rate your thread 95/100

Add Heavy Rain, and you got yourself a 99/100 thread

i was going to agree with you on every point you made...Untill i saw you were a Bear fan..

PACKERS FOR LIFE!

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Ah forgot about Heavy Rain :( I'll see if i can add it later (did all this during workhours, oops! :)) That game takes 2010 even further from the "cartoonish" Uncharted 2/GOW3, and brings us into the era of Real Life graphics :D

MAFKKA said:
Ah forgot about Heavy Rain :( I'll see if i can add it later (did all this during workhours, oops! :)) That game takes 2010 even further from the "cartoonish" Uncharted 2/GOW3, and brings us into the era of Real Life graphics :D

Just add it before CGI see's the thread! The poor guy will have a heart attack if he see's a PS3 graphics thread without his baby

We are still yet to see Sony's other big projects after GoW3 and Heavy Rain are released early next year. We only know of The Last Guardian from the 1st party studios (i think).

Imagine what we will see Q4 2010 to Q4 2011. *Drools*

Ssliasil said:
i was going to agree with you on every point you made...Untill i saw you were a Bear fan..

PACKERS FOR LIFE!

Hahaha! Im not a Bears fan per se.. i just liked the combo of Cutler and Forte and their defense heading into this season. Though Cutler was horrible in Week 1 :( Id say i like players more than teams. Packers got Jennings and Aaron Rogers who did amazing stuff for me last season of fantasy football :D