By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony still dead SET on selling 13 MILLION PS3s in 2009!

@NJ5

but GOw3 & FF13 release near march for the west

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@NJ5

but GOw3 & FF13 release near march for the west

True, FF13 could convince retailers to stock a few more PS3s... but since it's a multi-platform game, I very much doubt the effect could be big enough to cover a few million units.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

well most of sales are always made during the Christmas Season. It isnt too crazy to expect Sales to keep doubling and increasing over the next few months. Also, less we forget FFXIII is releasing this year in Japan. Thats going to do gang busters for them. Don't get me wrong, I still find it highly unlikely that they will make 13million. Yet they could very well get pretty close, maybe 10. I say about 3-5million sold during the Christmas High. Then Sony also has Mag, WKC, and GOWIII to keep up the momentum on into the end of their fiscal.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

darthdevidem01 said:

Sony still dead set on selling 13 million PS3s in 2009

As the 2008 fiscal year rolled to a close , Sony reported a $1.15 billion operating loss, with it's gaming division hitting an all time low.  Despite this, they projected an increase in PS3 sales in the 2009 fiscal year, from 10 million to 13 million consoles.  Since then, PS3 sales continued to falter in the first quarter, down year-over-year, as the recesion took it's toll on the luxury gaming console.

Since the price cut and introduction of the 120GB PS3 in Cologne last month, things have been on the up and up for Sony's PS3.  Last week, early retail reports indicated a massive movement of PS3 hardware and data supplied by the NPD Group showed PS3 sales improving year-over-year, the first occurence of that in 9 months.

However, the fact remains that  the console is still down more than 1 million units worldwide in comparison to 2008.  Regardless, Sony is still confident in overcoming that gap.  “We are still planning on reaching our target of 13M PS3's globally for this fiscal year,” Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Communications at Sony, told us when questioned about whether Sony would revise their expectations.

Worlwide estimates have Sony selling about 2.5 million consoles to date in the 2009 fiscal year.  March 31, 2010 marks the closing of the end of the current fiscal year.

http://www.ps3center.net/news/3642/sony-still-dead-set-on-selling-13-million-ps3s-in-2009/

hmmm.....so apparently these guys spoke to them & they are STILL dead set on that expectation!

reality or expecting too much???

I think its in between, SONY will probably STUFF the channel + FF13, GT5 & GOW 3 will move tons of PS3's!

Best of luck to them in meeting those sales target.  If Wii drops its price in Oct as rumored...they are going to need ALOT of luck...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

CGI-Quality said:
atma998 said:
CGI-Quality said:
yo_john117 said:

Jesus fucking christ!!!!  Why did I read this entire thread of stupidness??

OT: It will sell 12.2111111 million by the end of fiscal year.

A better question is, why was the thread taken down this road in the first place?

Probably because some people cannot accept that somebody disagree with them.

I thought you were leaving? Why are yo back looking to start this up again, nobody attacked you for an opinion. They attacked you because you cause lots of trouble and don't know when enough is enough, kinda like now!

...said the guy who started all and who keep on arguing with me. LOL

back on topic : time will tell.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

@atma

truth be told

IF ANYTHING it is GT5 that can be a real system seller for PS3

it comes from a 10 million per game selling franchise

I'm sure you expected Halo 3 & Zelda to sell TONS of Xbox 360's & wii's respectively

well guess what, Gran Turismo is bigger than both of them

I lol'd.

Money spent on gaming in 2009: €130,00

I think this will be a case of close but no cigar but then only 1 month ago you would not of believed they had a shot at the cigar in the first place.

I think the system seller days are behind us. We will get games and GT5 will be one of them that will sell additional hardware but it will not be a huge system seller. The same can be said Halo and alike. They will all be big software sellers though.

As for catching up and taking 2nd place they have to stop the moving ball that is Microsoft and they also have to take into account Nintendo so this is still a very very long way off happening.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

The days of system sellers aren't over. FFXIII should be a system seller. That and GT5, and it's probable that Natal and Sony motion will have system selling software with them. Whether they're of the caliber of Wii Sports or not... I suppose it's possible.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

atma998 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
atma998 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

@atma

truth be told

IF ANYTHING it is GT5 that can be a real system seller for PS3

it comes from a 10 million per game selling franchise

I'm sure you expected Halo 3 & Zelda to sell TONS of Xbox 360's & wii's respectively

well guess what, Gran Turismo is bigger than both of them

We're not in 2005. GT is now < than Halo and Zelda. And there is no way GT5 will ever reach 10 mil. If GT4 IV didnt reach that mark I don't see how GT5 will reach it.

GT is not < Halo nor Zelda

in fact GT5:P has sold 4 Million

which proves the franchise is so strong, it tricked 4 million people into buying an overpriced demo

Has Halo or Zelda done that in any form? no

GT is still > Halo & zelda

LMAO

GT5:P sold 3.12 mil not 4 mil and was heavily bundled in some territories.

Halo 3 sold 10 mil and is still selling while The Legend of Zelda is near the 7 mil mark an is still selling.

It's a demo.

GT4: Prologue - 1.36m

GT4 - 10.36m

GT5: Prologue - 3.12m

GT5 - ?

hey ddint gt3 sell like 15 fukin million or something? gt is a massive franchise! way bigger than halo. xbox fanboys come up with the funniest shit. then again halo is like the god of xbox isnt it?