By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would you sacrifice a life to save ten?

kowenicki said:
all stangers?... no

would I let a fireman go in to save 10 members of my family and face certain death... yes.

Well, once that's really considered in an actual situation, I can't quite imagine what sort of fire that would be for the fireman to be able to save 10 people but face a certain death and above all, me or him, or both, being aware of that.

Plus letting someone do it is entirely different than telling them to do it. I wouldn't stop the huge majority of people from doing that if they'd give their life for someone in the fire... but it's their decision to make.

Around the Network

Generally no, but if there's a toddler or a baby my heart would jump straight out to them and I just might do something crazy like sacrificing myself.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Why should I stop someone from doing that? Its none of my business if they want to risk there skin saving others.

However one of the things I was told when I was taught about saving people (resuscitation etc) at school was that if saving people puts you at risk don't do it. So personally I wouldn't. The exception being if it was my family or something. But if it was random people I don't care about then no I would not save them.

I wouldn't order some-one to thier detah to save 10 people but I would be willing to go into that building and try to save those 10 people.

^^^Thank God! For a minute, I thought there was something wrong with me!!

Around the Network

Hmm i would save one since i am not superman.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

kowenicki said:
all stangers?... no

would I let a fireman go in to save 10 members of my family and face certain death... yes.

Certainly, if it was a fireman, I wouldn't stop him from going. It's his job. I would only ask him to go if a member of my family or a good friend of mine was inside the fire. Under no circumstance would I go in and risk my own life. I have no experience with entering burning buildings and rescuing people, or putting out fires. I would be more of a hindrance than a help.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Depends on who. If it's some random dude and he wants to do it? I'd say go for it. If it's someone I cared about I wouldn't let them. If there's someone in the building that I cared about, I would go in myself... but only for them... if I see someone else in there I could help.... I might help... i might now.

4 ≈ One

If you mean would I issue and order in a situation like that, then yes I would. I'm assuming, given the context, that you're asking whether I as the chief would order one of my firemen to enter a building to save 10 but probably give his life in the process.

A similar analogy would be a combat situation - where an officer orders men to perform an action with a favourable outcome - taking out 10 enemy soldiers, at the loss of their life.

So yes, if I was in the senior position, and I felt I was within acceptable bounds of asking my men to do their job, I would - even if it meant the loss of their life.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Oh yeh

I'd get Spider-man, no way a burning buildings going to kill him :)