By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would you sacrifice a life to save ten?

You guys should feel free to come up with your own similar hypothetical situations too

Around the Network

people can say whatever they want when they've had time to consider the possibility of the situation, but i think if it was happening in real-time in front of you a lot of you would react differently to how you think you might.

my instant reaction to seeing this thread was "i'd definitely risk/sacrifice my own life for those 10" so even though i've had time to mull it over while i write this, i know that in the immediate situation i would go with my first thoughts.

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.
Reasonable said:
If you mean would I issue and order in a situation like that, then yes I would. I'm assuming, given the context, that you're asking whether I as the chief would order one of my firemen to enter a building to save 10 but probably give his life in the process.

A similar analogy would be a combat situation - where an officer orders men to perform an action with a favourable outcome - taking out 10 enemy soldiers, at the loss of their life.

So yes, if I was in the senior position, and I felt I was within acceptable bounds of asking my men to do their job, I would - even if it meant the loss of their life.

As I love to do when people give unusual(ish) answers, I'd like to press you more to see where you would say no. Would you tell them to go in if the person going in was:

1) Your favourite on the team

2) Your friend

3) Your best friend

4) Your son

5) Chuck Norris?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

trashleg said:
people can say whatever they want when they've had time to consider the possibility of the situation, but i think if it was happening in real-time in front of you a lot of you would react differently to how you think you might.

my instant reaction to seeing this thread was "i'd definitely risk/sacrifice my own life for those 10" so even though i've had time to mull it over while i write this, i know that in the immediate situation i would go with my first thoughts.

That's partly true. However, saying "I would save them" while sitting in a comfortable chair in front of a computer on an internet forum is VERY different from actually seeing the burning building, hearing the screams, and wanting to go in.

It's like that Conundrums thread we had a while ago, with the year's reprieve from eternal torment.

Kantor said:
trashleg said:

That's partly true. However, saying "I would save them" while sitting in a comfortable chair in front of a computer on an internet forum is VERY different from actually seeing the burning building, hearing the screams, and wanting to go in.

It's like that Conundrums thread we had a while ago, with the year's reprieve from eternal torment.

i know, but picturing the scene in my head just makes me more resolute that i would want to help. if i knew there was a good chance i could save someone, and not just be one more body for the firemen to have to search for, then hell yes i'd be in there.

however, being a small young woman who lacks any substantial strength, i reckon i'd probably be prevented from entering a burning building by whoever i was with at the time. but regardless of that fact, of course i'd have to try. would you rather die saving the lives of 10 people, or be haunted the rest of your life with the knowledge that you could have but didn't?

(im atually sitting on my bed at my laptop, very uncomfortable >.<)

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.
Around the Network
trashleg said:
Kantor said:
trashleg said:

i know, but picturing the scene in my head just makes me more resolute that i would want to help. if i knew there was a good chance i could save someone, and not just be one more body for the firemen to have to search for, then hell yes i'd be in there.

however, being a small young woman who lacks any substantial strength, i reckon i'd probably be prevented from entering a burning building by whoever i was with at the time. but regardless of that fact, of course i'd have to try. would you rather die saving the lives of 10 people, or be haunted the rest of your life with the knowledge that you could have but didn't?

(im atually sitting on my bed at my laptop, very uncomfortable >.<)

To rephrase your question into a way that suits my point of view, would you rather you lived and 10 people you've never met died (More people than that die of flu every day) or you died.

And I also don't really like using my laptop in bed. You can't lie down and use a laptop, really. And chairs give better back support. I find lying on your side and using the laptop like that is most comfortable.

Kantor said:

To rephrase your question into a way that suits my point of view, would you rather you lived and 10 people you've never met died (More people than that die of flu every day) or you died.

And I also don't really like using my laptop in bed. You can't lie down and use a laptop, really. And chairs give better back support. I find lying on your side and using the laptop like that is most comfortable.

that's a very very good moral conundrum, because the 10 people are totally unconnected to you (i dont just mean by blood - in the fire scenario you ARE connected to those people, because you're at the scene at the time). so when it isnt something that you can do directly, its hard isnt it?

i hate threads like this!

im sitting hunched over my laptop, i was only checking my emails after my shower.. >.< stupid internet distracting me. my back hurts  lying on your side is fine until you need to get up and your arm collapses under you, lol.

Everyone wants to be the hero... this is so fucking typical. I hate humanity.
Surely you wouldn't send somebody to their death, cuz that wouldn't look cool, but you're fully prepared to give up your life, right? Selfish hypocrites...

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

To answer the OP, I would absolutely sacrifice the life of 1 stranger to save 10.
Not mine though.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Johann said:
Everyone wants to be the hero... this is so fucking typical. I hate humanity.
Surely you wouldn't send somebody to their death, cuz that wouldn't look cool, but you're fully prepared to give up your life, right? Selfish hypocrites...

but someone who would send another to his death, while he himself avoids the situation, is a coward. fair enough if he says "i wouldnt go in there, so i wouldnt expect anyone else to go in either", but if he's protecting himself whilst sending in others, thats just selfish.