By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Matt Cassamassina Is Leaving the IGN Nintendo Team...

SHMUPGurus said:
theRepublic said:
im_sneaky said:
Vectorferret said:
So now the Wii and DS, which get far more games between them than any other team has to cover are going to be covered by just two people when they have a large team for just the 360. If that doesn't show IGN's bias I don't know what does.

They have a nintendo fan reviewing all games now. That doesn't show bias, dur dur dur dur dur dur dur dur dur. Imagine an xbox fan reviewing SSBB... it woulda got an 8.

You are dead on with that one.  GiantBomb gave it a 4/5.  Lowest score the game got until a review that came out two months after the game was released.

Which would make more sense IMO. People gave it high reviews first because it had "Smash" in the name, even though it barely plays like one (in many ways).

I'm just going to say that I think Brawl is the best Smash Bros. yet and leave it at that.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
SHMUPGurus said:
theRepublic said:
im_sneaky said:
Vectorferret said:
So now the Wii and DS, which get far more games between them than any other team has to cover are going to be covered by just two people when they have a large team for just the 360. If that doesn't show IGN's bias I don't know what does.

They have a nintendo fan reviewing all games now. That doesn't show bias, dur dur dur dur dur dur dur dur dur. Imagine an xbox fan reviewing SSBB... it woulda got an 8.

You are dead on with that one.  GiantBomb gave it a 4/5.  Lowest score the game got until a review that came out two months after the game was released.

Which would make more sense IMO. People gave it high reviews first because it had "Smash" in the name, even though it barely plays like one (in many ways).

I'm just going to say that I think Brawl is the best Smash Bros. yet and leave it at that.

Haha, I'm fine with that.

I tried to have intelligent conversations about all three games here many times before and they never turned out great. People were mostly just throwing random insults at me or saying that Nintendo can never do anything wrong. Good times...!

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Somehow I feel sad about this, not entirely sure why. I just feel like the team is breaking apart, I do hope they find another person to help review games.

at least hes still doing the podcast

oh well, people move on, and so should we

Around the Network

This feels odd. On the one hand, he clearly wants things from gaming that Nintendo (and soon, Sony and Microsoft) are less interested in providing than ever before. And his tiresome rants about stuff that I don't care about is part of why I stopped visiting IGN.

But at the same time, he's been there since the N64.com days. And (ironically) he's always been the one editor at IGN who was willing to give Nintendo a fair shake (usually). This is like the end of an era.

Granted, it's an era I've already moved on from, but I still feel nostalgiac!

never heard of him

but I guess thats a promotion, so great for him & his family!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

SHMUPGurus said:
theRepublic said:
SHMUPGurus said:
theRepublic said:
im_sneaky said:
Vectorferret said:

Haha, I'm fine with that.

I tried to have intelligent conversations about all three games here many times before and they never turned out great. People were mostly just throwing random insults at me or saying that Nintendo can never do anything wrong. Good times...!

All three are great games.  It really just comes down to personal preferance on which you like more.  No sense in arguing over it.

My original point was only that the review is a bit of an outlier.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I thought a lot of Nintendo fans liked Matt. What's with all the sudden hate for him?

MontanaHatchet said:
I thought a lot of Nintendo fans liked Matt. What's with all the sudden hate for him?

We as a whole were generally rather divided about him. It's true that he was one of the fairer forces at work in the industry when it came to Nintendo (though that isn't saying much), but he had his own peculiarities that made him very unlikable to Nintendo fans. To me, the problem was that he has a bit of a fixation on Old Nintendo, and has occasionally spiraled into bouts of hatred for new Nintendo (and not, like, new new Nintendo that we know today. He had a bit of a meltdown with regards to Nintendo back on 2003)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.