By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do any of the Halo games deserve the popularity and critical acclaim?

dsister44 said:
Manos said:
Well, what is a better game than halo 3? :)

Batman: Arkham Asylum, Viva Pinata and TIP, Banpo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and LittleBigPlanet. Just to name a few

Half-Life 2, Gears of War, Fallout 1-3, Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic, Deus Ex, Counterstrike, CoD4, Starcraft to name a few more.

Around the Network

It deserves it when its a good game.
Halo: CE was a brilliant FPS, one of the best I have ever played at that time.
Halo 2 was also a very good game but it seemed they took a step back on the story to focus on MP, not something I would've done but still very good game.
Halo 3 was kind of a let down because they took another step back in the story department to focus on the MP. The graphics were sub-par but the brilliant controls were still there, I never got into the MP mainly because I had my PS3. And it shouldnt always be about the MP, if thats the case just cut out the story mode and focus on MP.
Halo Wars, from what little I have played of it was alot of fun. It actually made RTS games on a console fun to play.
This is all my opinion

Scoobes said:
dsister44 said:
Manos said:

Batman: Arkham Asylum, Viva Pinata and TIP, Banpo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and LittleBigPlanet. Just to name a few

Half-Life 2, Gears of War, Fallout 1-3, Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic, Deus Ex, Counterstrike, CoD4, Starcraft to name a few more.

No.. none of those games are better than halo 3, especially VP and BK. KOTOR is close but no match for the awesomeness of halo 3.

Manos said:
Scoobes said:
dsister44 said:
Manos said:

No.. none of those games are better than halo 3, especially VP and BK. KOTOR is close but no match for the awesomeness of halo 3.

Lol, what can I do to make you see the light (No, not the blinding light of HDR from Halo 3) of truth? All the games I mentioned are by far greater then any Halo game. I have yet to even mention the delights of Zelda, Baldurs gate and Left 4 Dead.. actually scrap that... anything from Valve.

Actually, I think I'm gonna stop... I'm just listing my fave games of all time now.

Manos said:
Scoobes said:
dsister44 said:
Manos said:

Yes, I say they are all better than Halo. Why because I say so. Which seems to be waht you are doing. I doubt you have even played half of the games that Scoobes and I said. Now please tell me why you think Halo is better besides "it is the best game ever".

Around the Network

Oh leave Manos alone, liking Halo 3 best out of his collection is an entirely defensible position.

dsister44 said:
Manos said:
Scoobes said:
dsister44 said:
Manos said:

Yes, I say they are all better than Halo. Why because I say so. Which seems to be waht you are doing. I doubt you have even played half of the games that Scoobes and I said. Now please tell me why you think Halo is better besides "it is the best game ever".

On a serious note, if that's true (not playing them), I suggest you do. The games I listed I feel should be on a list of "Games to play before you die". They're really good.

BMaker11 said:
TRios_Zen said:
In short, yes. Given current sales/reviews of the Halo games, I don't really see the need to defend that.

I would counter: what is your hypothesis as to why the Halo series does have the sales and why they are consistently reviewed as very high quality games?

Hopefully your answer isn't "because I don't think it should".

@bolded

Wii Fit

OT:

I personally don't believe it deserves all the critical acclaim or sales that it does have. But don't get me wrong, it's a great game, and I still play it to this day. But it is not the godsend of FPS, no matter how much the sales seem to reflect it as such

Also, @TRios:

Games like MGS, Call of Duty Call of Duty games made by Infinity Ward, hell even Gears of War (obviously an M$ exclusive) are consistently rated as very high quality....and don't get NEAR the sales of Halo...and don't get me started on Valkryia Chronicles....

I'm not sure we are disagreeing...I never said all great games sell well (Valkyria, is a great game) or that all high selling games are great.  The combination of current sales AND reviews for the Halo FPS games is pretty solid evidence that it is in fact a great series deserving of it's popularity and acclaim. 

If the OP feels different, and has a better argument than "KZ2 > Halo" crap, I'd like to hear it, but the truth is, I don't think he does.  IN FACT, I'd bet he started this thread JUST so he could say Killzone 2 was better.

Don't know about Halo 2, didn't play it. Halo 1 and 3, don't!

dsister44 said:
Manos said:
Scoobes said:
dsister44 said:
Manos said:

Well, I haven't played VP:TIP because VP is the one of the worst games I have ever played. Also I haven't played planescape torment, just because I know it is not my cup of tea.

Why halo 3 is the best game ever? Because it is the most fun game ever! Duh. :O

Edit:

I have viva pinata: tip collecting dust where it belongs, at the bottom of a drawer. I was stupid to buy that game just because it was dirt cheap due to bad sales. I actually thought someone would trade a game for that piece of software. Silly me.