By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do any of the Halo games deserve the popularity and critical acclaim?

Personally, I missed out on Halo 1 and 2. I bought Halo 3, and I was in awe. I had to go back and buy the first 2! I'm not one of those guys that was burned out by years of Halo goodness. On its their own merits, I'm going to say: YES!!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Personally, I missed out on Halo 1 and 2. I bought Halo 3, and I was in awe. I had to go back and buy the first 2! I'm not one of those guys that was burned out by years of Halo goodness. On its their own merits, I'm going to say: YES!!

You obviously haven't played a decent PC shooter before in your life.

uadfa said:
d21lewis said:

You obviously haven't played a decent PC shooter before in your life.

Nope.  Never.  I'm console/portable/board games only, baby!  I've also never played a good board game FPS.

Flamebait thread. Should be locked and reprimanded

I love how we also had to bash Viva Pinata into the ground in this thread. Well done guys. *rolls eyes*

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
Kantor said:
They are all great games, but it makes me sad that Halo 3 sold 10 million when far better games haven't even sold 1/3 of that

Well maybe they weren't far better games if more people bought and enjoyed Halo 3 more than the other games...

No thats not it, its hype and overpopulirity. thats what Halo 3 is, so is GTAIV VS Crackdown or inFamous. it just is, i for one think Crackdown AND inFamous are both MUCH better then GTAIV. but alas it remains the most popular.

uadfa said:
Strategyking92 said:
Yes.
Looking back on things, halo 2 doesn't. But at the time it was revolutionary in terms of console online multiplayer.
Halo 1 is definitely AAA material. Epic campaign, and good online eventually(PC version)
Halo 2 had a letdown campaign, but it kept me hooked on the series. No memorable events from the game though.
Halo 3 was jam packed to the gills with content. Forge, theater, a billion multiplayer modes, off-online co-op, campaign, achievements implemented probably the best up to that point, bungie fileshare, and other little things.

Halo 3 had the worst campaign though.

And the best multiplayer. 

@Seraphic above,  what does "overpopularity" even mean?  Things are as popular as they are, no more, no less.  If lots of people still buy it and play it even now, two years from launch, then clearly it has more going for it than just advertising and hype.  Maybe, just maybe, it's popular on its own merits.  You may not think it deserves to be as popular as it is, but the millions who play every single week probably disagree with you.

De85 said:
uadfa said:
Strategyking92 said:
Yes.
Looking back on things, halo 2 doesn't. But at the time it was revolutionary in terms of console online multiplayer.
Halo 1 is definitely AAA material. Epic campaign, and good online eventually(PC version)
Halo 2 had a letdown campaign, but it kept me hooked on the series. No memorable events from the game though.
Halo 3 was jam packed to the gills with content. Forge, theater, a billion multiplayer modes, off-online co-op, campaign, achievements implemented probably the best up to that point, bungie fileshare, and other little things.

Halo 3 had the worst campaign though.

And the best multiplayer.

@Seraphic above,  what does "overpopularity" even mean?  Things are as popular as they are, no more, no less.  If lots of people still buy it and play it even now, two years from launch, then clearly it has more going for it than just advertising and hype.  Maybe, just maybe, it's popular on its own merits.  You may not think it deserves to be as popular as it is, but the millions who play every single week probably disagree with you.

I understand what your getting at, i feel the same way about Final Fantasy VII > ALL OTHER final fantasies. so looking at it that way i know how ya feel.

So in conclusion i stand by what i think about Halo 3, afterall its just my humble opinion on the subject same with everyone elses, i just feel there are better FPS games out there this gen that are over looked because of games like Halo 3 or KZ2 or CoD games, games like TimeShift deserbe praise in my opinion, that Innovates the genre.

themanwithnoname said:
I love how we also had to bash Viva Pinata into the ground in this thread. Well done guys. *rolls eyes*

Yeah, What did the Pinatas ever do to anyone