By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sega to Unviel NATAL Projects early 2010

I'm surprised I have not seen a thread about this....

Sega Unveiling Natal/PS3 Motion Control Games 'Early 2010'

Projects still in testing, as Sega experiments with what can and can't be done with the new technologies.

By Kris Pigna, 09/05/2009

We haven't yet heard much about third-party support for Microsoft's Natal and Sony's new PlayStation 3 motion controller after both were unveiled at E3 back in June. But now Sega has become one of the first to publicly comment on their projects for both of the new control methods, and they even set a timetable for when the world will likely get to see them.

"We'd like to think that in early 2010 we'll be making announcements about both of those platforms," said Sega West president Mike Hayes to Industry Gamers (via CVG).

Hayes predictably didn't have many more specifics to say about the projects, but by the sound of it, they're still very much in early testing. "We have our ideas and we know what we want to do, but the technology is pretty new, particularly with Natal, so we've got to get to grips with the technology and see if it can do what we want it to do," Hayes said. "I kind of think of it as the land of bunsen burners and test tubes."

The timing is interesting when it comes to Sony's new EyeToy motion controller, as they've previously stated it should be launching around spring of next year -- just, apparently, when Sega will only be revealing whatever it is they're working on for it. If Sony sticks to their schedule with the new device, it'll be curious to see how much third-party support they'll have for it at launch.

Around the Network

Virtua Tennis?

It all seems pretty speculative for now.

Has Microsoft given any hints about when Natal will launch? Holiday 2010 perhaps?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

virtua fighter 6 natal!

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

I'm thinking that Sony isn't going to have large support outside of it's own internal studios if they launch in spring... Microsoft is a little bit more well possitioned with Natal as it's target seems to be the Holiday Season...btw arsenicazure you need to cut down your list of things or at least take out the double space because you sig is way to big.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
Virtua Tennis?

If they don't patch in at least the Sony Wand into Sega Superstar Tennis I'll be surprised... I wonder if Natal could track hands on a controller movements for a 6-Axis like effect?

PullusPardus said:
Virtua Tennis?

This would work well with NATAL.

I wonder if multiplatform motion controlled games will be simplified due to the Sony wand's limited features compared to Natal.

I still don't understand how Natal is going to work on anything apart from that ball game and maybe the driving game. You couldn't exactly play an FPS as although you could maybe get the looking around working, how will you fire? I doubt it is that sensitive that it can pick up your finger movement on a make believe trigger.  Even on the Burnout Paradise demo, they couldn't simulate the analogue action of the foot pedal (i.e. full power on and off). It might be ok for simple strategy games with point and click and drag actions, but anything more advanced and Natal is going to get into trouble. I guess its all down to the developers and how they use the technology, but I don't expect to be blown away by what is released.

tronied said:

I still don't understand how Natal is going to work on anything apart from that ball game and maybe the driving game. You couldn't exactly play an FPS as although you could maybe get the looking around working, how will you fire? I doubt it is that sensitive that it can pick up your finger movement on a make believe trigger.  Even on the Burnout Paradise demo, they couldn't simulate the analogue action of the foot pedal (i.e. full power on and off). It might be ok for simple strategy games with point and click and drag actions, but anything more advanced and Natal is going to get into trouble. I guess its all down to the developers and how they use the technology, but I don't expect to be blown away by what is released.

*FacePalm*