By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sega to Unviel NATAL Projects early 2010

tronied said:
Cueil said:
tronied said:

I still don't understand how Natal is going to work on anything apart from that ball game and maybe the driving game. You couldn't exactly play an FPS as although you could maybe get the looking around working, how will you fire? I doubt it is that sensitive that it can pick up your finger movement on a make believe trigger.  Even on the Burnout Paradise demo, they couldn't simulate the analogue action of the foot pedal (i.e. full power on and off). It might be ok for simple strategy games with point and click and drag actions, but anything more advanced and Natal is going to get into trouble. I guess its all down to the developers and how they use the technology, but I don't expect to be blown away by what is released.

This is why you are not the lead game designer at Sega... there are people who can actually use imagination... I know it's hard, but if you can think back to when you where a kid I'm sure you'll find some inspiration

You didn't actually respond to what I was saying at all. All you did was a poor attempt at an insult. Can you "imagine" how Natal can be used for the majority of game genres past its rudimentary ability to control movement? Someone let me in on Natals secret, which goes further than it's ability to pick up you swinging your arms like a bat, or hold your hands out like a steering wheel. Maybe im thinking about this all wrong though, maybe all it will be is just a gimmick to play party games to appeal more to the casual market.

Im not trying to tread on anyones fanboy toes here, just to get a better idea of its intended use.

Simple example.  You're playing an FPS and Natal is only tracking your head movements to determine where you're looking.  Now you don't need to be using the right thumbstick to control your camera because you just look where you want to and the camera will respond in a very natural way.  Perhaps you can use hand signals to issue commands for your troops.  Or you use the controller for shooting with the gun and just take your right hand off for a second and pretend you're throwing a ball to toss a grenade.  The speed and angle of your arm determines where you throw it and how far.

People seem to assume that every game with Natal will be you literally performing the actions of your character.  What Cueil was saying is you need to think outside the box and not be so literal.  It seems the only 2 examples of games you could think of were what they showed, as if those are the only 2 possible uses of the tech.

Around the Network

@dsister44 - I wasn't aware it could do that, but if it can then all the better.

Thanks for the example daroamer, that has given be a better idea of what it will be used for. Not so much as a stand alone controller (although it can be used for that), but for use in addition to the other controller.