By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 at $299 is a better value than a $299 Elite

davygee said:
Nanaki said:
Seihyouken said:

It really can't be argued that the Elite is a better out of the box value than a PS3.

PlayStation 3 Slim
1. Blu-ray Player
2. Wireless Wi-Fi
3. Free Online
4. Rechargeable Controllers
5. Internet Browser

Xbox 360 Elite
1. +1 USB 2.0 Port

It can argued pretty easy. It always depends on concrete person. For example, I could say:

1) I´m not big fan of movies. Last year, I had seen about three movies on DVD. Buying Blu.Ray for three movies... I don´t think so. More, all movies weren´t "big", and there isn´t Blu-Ray version anyway. So, apart of games, no need for Blu-Ray for me.

2) I´m using wired connection for everything. PC, Xbox 360, and if I buy PS3 (which I surely do), it will not be different. So, no need fo wi-fi.

3) I was always be single-player, multi games aren´t my cup of tea. So, I have Silver Account, which is free.

4) I already have millons of rechargeable batteries for another electronic, that I can use in Xbox 360 controller. No need to buy something extra for this.

5) I have PC, lot of Browsers there.

Priceless and totally ridiculous...do you work for Best Buy or something with all the rechargeable batteries, and come on who in this day and age uses a wired connection for the internet unless you are worried about the effects of Wifi?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what is better, but over the whole, you are getting a whole lot more for $299 with the PS3 than the 360.

Best buy isn´t even open in my country, so no. Of course, I don´t have this much batterie, it was only a hyperbole. But about fifty. Enough for use in everything.

Who use wired? Lots of people.

"but over the whole, you are getting a whole lot more for $299 with the PS3 than the 360" Yes, I getting more. Problem is, more of things, which I never use.

Around the Network
Sardauk said:
Seihyouken said:

It really can't be argued that the Elite is a better out of the box value than a PS3.

PlayStation 3 Slim
1. Blu-ray Player
2. Wireless Wi-Fi
3. Free Online
5. Internet Browser

Xbox 360 Elite
1. +1 USB 2.0 Port

Console is about gaming:

1. Blu-ray Player
2. Wireless Wi-Fi
3. Free Online                        -> yes but old school style system.
5. Internet Browser

Still, I agree that the Elite is a bit overpriced.

then why 360 owners always bring up netflix, twiter, facebook when they argue Xbox live is better then Psn

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
Sardauk said:
Seihyouken said:

PlayStation 3 Slim
1. Blu-ray Player
2. Wireless Wi-Fi
3. Free Online
5. Internet Browser

Xbox 360 Elite
1. +1 USB 2.0 Port

Console is about gaming:

1. Blu-ray Player
2. Wireless Wi-Fi
3. Free Online                        -> yes but old school style system.
5. Internet Browser

Still, I agree that the Elite is a bit overpriced.

then why 360 owners always bring up netflix, twiter, facebook when they argue Xbox live is better then Psn

I don't know, I don't have Netflix, twitter and Facebook in the Belgian XBL.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

I didn't know PS3 had Halo or Gears of War.

You gotta love the console wars. Most people are realizing that they need to own both systems. It doesn't matter which one is a marginally better value. As a fan of games and not systems, I want the 360 and PS3 to finish equal in sales. That gives me the best value.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
dbot said:
You gotta love the console wars. Most people are realizing that they need to own both systems. It doesn't matter which one is a marginally better value. As a fan of games and not systems, I want the 360 and PS3 to finish equal in sales. That gives me the best value.

I don't know... it is a bit too much for me...

I still play more on the 360 then the PS3.... but it is only due to the available games and XBL.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Everyone is entiltled to their own opinion.

@nanaki: You might have no need for these features but a whole lot of people do. Obviously MS thinks the same (in terms of wi-fi) that's why they sell the wi-fi peripheral. If MS thought everyone was like you they wouldn't have realeased that add-on.

At least with PS3 there is that option. Both sides covered.

Any reasonable person not blinded by any fanboyism looking for a first HD console (therefore not influenced by any exclusives) and has $299 to spend will no doubt consider the PS3 the best bang for his/her buck, especially with free online.

Other options like controller design, is it noisy, it wouldn't look good in my living room, netflix etc., is entirely up to the buyer and he/she can choose the x360.

Stuff like netflix or some similar service can easily be added to PS3 by Sony whenever they want.

Stuff like Blu-ray is unlikely to ever be on the x360.

As for netflix and all that other stuff the humble wii has none of this yet has literally murdered the competition. There is a lesson there.

'value' is in the eye of the buyer

kowenicki said:
UK

PS3 Slim - £249 - no games

360 Elite - £199 - 4 games

UK

PS3 Slim - £249 - no games

360 Elite - £199 - 4 games - no wi-fi - no blu-ray.

CDiablo said:
360(300)+Wifi(100)+Blu Ray Player(200)+Live(50)
PS3(300)+PS2 for backwards compatibility(100)+Dedicated Netflix box(200)+Spending money on overhyped PS3 exclusive(60) you heard about on vgchartz

360 teh winz!!!!1111

Overhyped PS3 exclusives as an extra $60 cost? What overhyped 360 exclusives are free?