By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 at $299 is a better value than a $299 Elite

its all subjective,no matter how much yuo say something doesnt mean your going to convince people

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Around the Network
justinian said:
Everyone is entiltled to their own opinion.

@nanaki: You might have no need for these features but a whole lot of people do. Obviously MS thinks the same (in terms of wi-fi) that's why they sell the wi-fi peripheral. If MS thought everyone was like you they wouldn't have realeased that add-on.

At least with PS3 there is that option. Both sides covered.

Any reasonable person not blinded by any fanboyism looking for a first HD console (therefore not influenced by any exclusives) and has $299 to spend will no doubt consider the PS3 the best bang for his/her buck, especially with free online.

Other options like controller design, is it noisy, it wouldn't look good in my living room, netflix etc., is entirely up to the buyer and he/she can choose the x360.

Everything is up to buyer, which was precisely my point. And yes, everything I wrote was my opinion, it was written in my first post. But please, don´t use argument like "whole lot of people". I can say that too and we will be both right.

IMO, best solution for me would be PS3 without wi-fi, for example 40$ cheaper. If you ant wi-fi, buy console with it. Problem solved.

But still, most important factor arte games. Likes always.

kowenicki said:
justinian said:
kowenicki said:
UK

PS3 Slim - £249 - no games

360 Elite - £199 - 4 games

UK

PS3 Slim - £249 - no games

360 Elite - £199 - 4 games - no wi-fi - no blu-ray.

its a GAMES console ffs, why cant people get this yet?

FFS, then why the hell does it do netflix films, play DVDs, twitter and facebook?

Why FFS is MS marketing it as a entertainment system? "More entertainment for your money" is the slogan, not "more gaming for your money".

Try telling MS it is ONLY a games console. Get real.

Nanaki said:
justinian said:
Everyone is entiltled to their own opinion.

@nanaki: You might have no need for these features but a whole lot of people do. Obviously MS thinks the same (in terms of wi-fi) that's why they sell the wi-fi peripheral. If MS thought everyone was like you they wouldn't have realeased that add-on.

At least with PS3 there is that option. Both sides covered.

Any reasonable person not blinded by any fanboyism looking for a first HD console (therefore not influenced by any exclusives) and has $299 to spend will no doubt consider the PS3 the best bang for his/her buck, especially with free online.

Other options like controller design, is it noisy, it wouldn't look good in my living room, netflix etc., is entirely up to the buyer and he/she can choose the x360.

Everything is up to buyer, which was precisely my point. And yes, everything I wrote was my opinion, it was written in my first post. But please, don´t use argument like "whole lot of people". I can say that too and we will be both right.

IMO, best solution for me would be PS3 without wi-fi, for example 40$ cheaper. If you ant wi-fi, buy console with it. Problem solved.

But still, most important factor arte games. Likes always.

Good reply. Wi-fi is now standard in almost any communication device.

Would you rather the next xbox720 - or whatever it will be called to be without wi-fi built-in but 40$ cheaper?

Yes, I agree the most important factor is games, but these consoles are being marketed as more than that.

Reading through these posts (from the entire site) some people actually make out services like netflix, online music, twitter, facebook etc., to be very important factors in deciding which console to purchase. Likewise the PS3 with blu-ray etc.,

While gaming is currently primary on these consoles other services will become just as important as MS and Sony try to dominant the living rooms of the world and they won't be looking to only attract people that just play games.

kowenicki said:
@justinian

the MAIN feature than MOST people buy a console for is GAMES.... are you denying this?

No Kowenicki, I am not denying that. That would be stupid.

I am denying that both HD consoles are JUST gaming consoles. In that case all they would and ever do is play games. Nothing else. Nada. Like the N64.

How can I not deny this when both Sony and MS are doing their damnest to tell the public that their consoles are so much more than just that.

I can with all honesty say that I have a workmate who has bought a PS3 ONLY to watch blu-ray movies. Maybe he is the only one to ever do that. I can't speak for anyone else.

Yes the PS3 is a gaming console, but to him it is a blu-ray player, no more, no less.

Around the Network
justinian said:

Would you rather the next xbox720 - or whatever it will be called to be without wi-fi built-in but 40$ cheaper?

Yes, I agree the most important factor is games, but these consoles are being marketed as more than that.

Reading through these posts (from the entire site) some people actually make out services like netflix, online music, twitter, facebook etc., to be very important factors in deciding which console to purchase. Likewise the PS3 with blu-ray etc.,

While gaming is currently primary on these consoles other services will become just as important as MS and Sony try to dominant the living rooms of the world and they won't be looking to only attract people that just play games.

I would want to choose. While wi-fi is standard now, it isn´t only standart. There are people, who simply doesn´t need it. So, if would be there two version, it would be best. So, someone who like wi-fi, would buy console with it, other would buy version without it.

I´m agree with next sentence. Some people makes netflix, twitter, etc. important factors. OK with me, it´s their problem. But some, like me, really doesn´t care. I wan t"something", which play games and rest isn´t my priority. And that´s the reason, why I would like more versions of console. One with multimedia add-ons, second without.

PS3 better value than similar prices 360?? WTF!!! OMG I would never have realized that!!!! Bluray makes it a better freakin value.. holy shnikies!!

It doesn't matter. What matters is what games you want and want your friends got. Wii has been priced more or barely less than 360 for quite sometime now and most would argue that the feature package in 360 creates a better value than Wii, however, 360 has never outsold the wii and is most of the time 1/2 its sales.

Xbox 360 elite:
System (with headset) - $299.99
Play and charge kit - $19.99
Xbox live - $50.00 (per year)
Total - $369.98+

Playstation 3:
System (bluray, wifi, rechargable controller) - $299.99
Headset (optional) - $29.99
PSN - free
Total - $329.98

With wifi:
Xbox 360 ($100) - $469.98+
Playstation 3 (built in) - $329.98

I rest my case.

i love how buttsore 360 people get when it comes down to value

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Consoles owned: Game Cube, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3.

My prediction: NATAL WILL NOT help 360 sales. Maybe a 50-100k boost week 1, then a 30-70 k boost week 2, and back to the norm again after 3-5 weeks.

Nanaki said:
justinian said:

I would want to choose. While wi-fi is standard now, it isn´t only standart. There are people, who simply doesn´t need it. So, if would be there two version, it would be best. So, someone who like wi-fi, would buy console with it, other would buy version without it.

I´m agree with next sentence. Some people makes netflix, twitter, etc. important factors. OK with me, it´s their problem. But some, like me, really doesn´t care. I wan t"something", which play games and rest isn´t my priority. And that´s the reason, why I would like more versions of console. One with multimedia add-ons, second without.

Fair comment. As far as the wi-fi thing goes I think you are on a loser.

I can almost guarantee that all consoles (like all modern laptops) will soon have it by default. To put it another way I wouldn't bet against this not happening.

So whether you want it or not it will be there. I must add here that I do understand where you are coming from BTW and generally what you said makes good consumer sense..But...

like the Zune, the ipod touch and whatever else it will be thrown in because they can then charge you for it.

I am willing to guess that if x360 was launched at the same or at a later date than the wii and PS3 it too would have had wi-fi built-in, but that's speculation so don't quote me on that.

Anyway....we shall see.