By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Slimebeast predicts: NPD and remaining PS3 & X360 sales 2009

kowenicki said:
so you say the gap will reduce by 1.5 million over the period including the slim at a new low price point in its first xmas....

so when do you expect the PS3 to pass the 360? cos that isnt exactly huge momentum is it?

You want a sneak peak of my next full prediction of gen console sales? Just a quick example 4 u:

2009: gap 6.5 mill as I predict in the OP
2010: PS3 12 mill, X360 ~10 mill= gap is 4.5 mill
2011: PS3 12-13 mill, X360 ~9 mill=gap is 0.5-1.5 mill
2012: Ps3 9 mill, X360 7 mill=gap is 1 million in PS3's favor (and in Nov that year at least Xbox 3 starts the next gen)

So overall a 7 year generation, at least between the X360 til Xbox 3.

Around the Network

kowenicki is correct, now PS3 sales will increase but in a couple months sales of the PS3 will decrease rapidly. Also future price cuts of the 360 will increase sales so poor people can buy it and of course we cannot forget about Natal. No controller required and the fantastic userface will really make the casuals jump in.

Natal is a real game changer. Not only for the ease of use but also redefining gaming by playing games like shooters without a controller. It's going to work so well Sony really needs to combat it and the glowing dildo controller just won't do it.

kowenicki said:
so end of 2012 then? early 2013....?

2012 at the latest gap will be closed guaranteed. I low-balled the numbers so u wouldnt tare it apart right away lol. But actually I believe the gap could be closed in late 2011 if Natal does nothing and things start going bad momentum wise for the X360 (replica of Xmas 2007 and early 2008).

RPG said:
the glowing dildo controller just won't do it.

It might if they remember to include force feedback this time.

did u put the arrival of Halo: ODST in consideration? That's at least another 20-50,000 more for the 360...

And I find that kinda low considering that barely any exclusive came out for the 360 Sept of last year and it still made 347,000 that month. and yes this is NPD numbers we're talking about.

Worldwide was 862,000 (X360) vs 670,000(PS3)...

Around the Network
RPG said:
kowenicki is correct, now PS3 sales will increase but in a couple months sales of the PS3 will decrease rapidly. Also future price cuts of the 360 will increase sales so poor people can buy it and of course we cannot forget about Natal. No controller required and the fantastic userface will really make the casuals jump in.

Natal is a real game changer. Not only for the ease of use but also redefining gaming by playing games like shooters without a controller. It's going to work so well Sony really needs to combat it and the glowing dildo controller just won't do it.

I see Natal having huge potential, but it's all a bonus. It could happen like you said, that Natal will sell millions of extra consoles, but this business ain't easy. The thing Nintendo did with Wii happens only once in a decade.

So basically I'm counting out Natal as a game changer. It's a big bonus (but unlikely) if it lifts sales well above 10 million X360s per year.

kowenicki said:
@slime

dont ever play poker will you.... so you actually think late 2011 then

no chance.

How is it no chance?

kowenicki said:
@slime

dont ever play poker will you.... so you actually think late 2011 then

no chance.

Possible yes, but it's not a formal prediction by me yet. I have some more analyzing to do before I can set the date for a closed gap.

Lol, thought so.

bigdom2786 said:
did u put the arrival of Halo: ODST in consideration? That's at least another 20-50,000 more for the 360...

And I find that kinda low considering that barely any exclusive came out for the 360 Sept of last year and it still made 347,000 that month. and yes this is NPD numbers we're talking about.

Worldwide was 862,000 (X360) vs 670,000(PS3)...

Damn I forgot Halo ODST is in Sept, i have to correct that, thanks.