By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Slimebeast predicts: NPD and remaining PS3 & X360 sales 2009

Doesn't "controller free" mean no controller? So what accessories can you buy for natal? Oh, I know. I can employ someone to wave their hands around while I instruct them what to do from the sofa drinking my beer.

Or maybe the natal lens cleaner kit.

Any peripheral used by a player that interacts with natal directly in a game is a controller, hence it will make the claim of controller free gaming false. So I can sue :)

OT: WHo knows? You do have some good points but time will tell.

Around the Network

Even if that is true, it is still being marketted as a controller free thing.

As RPG said earlier, using a controller defeats the purpose of Natal.

So once again... no, i am not being silly.

Carl2291 said:

lol, so the fact that ps3 is marketed as a game machine must mean I can't watch blu ray movies on it because it defeats the purpose?  Or that I can't browse the internet on the ps3 because it isn't marketed for that?  Can't play music off the hard drive of my ps3 or 360 because it isn't marketed for that?

Since when does marketing lingo determine the purpose of a product?  It's a very silly argument.

WOW people taking a U-turn, don't jump on carl because he is telling the truth. Natal is being hyped as a controller free interface and using peripherals completely defeats the purpose. It's no better at all than the PS3 dildo stick.

If you cannot find a reason why shooters will work without a physical object that is fine but don't start insulting others because you can't think of anything. Gosh some of you. :(

RPG said:
WOW people taking a U-turn, don't jump on carl because he is telling the truth. Natal is being hyped as a controller free interface and using peripherals completely defeats the purpose. It's no better at all than the PS3 dildo stick.

If you cannot find a reason why shooters will work without a physical object that is fine but don't start insulting others because you can't think of anything. Gosh some of you. :(

microsoft has already said they intead to do hybrid use with natal/360 controller so they do plan on having a peripheral with it.  The controller free marketing lingo is meant to appeal to casual gamers, but it doesn't define natals purpose by any means.  Natals purpose is whatever microsoft wants it to be. 

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Carl2291 said:

lol, so the fact that ps3 is marketed as a game machine must mean I can't watch blu ray movies on it because it defeats the purpose?  Or that I can't browse the internet on the ps3 because it isn't marketed for that?  Can't play music off the hard drive of my ps3 or 360 because it isn't marketed for that?

Since when does marketing lingo determine the purpose of a product?  It's a very silly argument.

What planet are you from? I thought PS3 was being marketed as an entertainment system, pretty much like the x360.

The new slogan "It does everything" - or whatever it is, doesn't sound like it is just a gaming console.

gergroy said:
Carl2291 said:

PS3 is marketted as all of the things you mentioned.

Natal is being strongly marketted as having NO controller. Having to use a controller after saying all that would be indeed... silly.

MS. "“The next step in interactive entertainment is to make the controller disappear,” said Steven Spielberg, visionary director and producer. “With ‘Project Natal,’ we’ll see games that bring everyone together through technology that actually recognizes us.”"

----

Rare. "We’re learning a lot of stuff about Natal every day, and there are many types of experiences that can be created with that technology. You just need to be able to rethink how you approach those particular design problems," said Andreas.

"To take a shooter, as an example, you would just have to rethink the way a shooter works," explained Andreas. "Shooters work the way they do at the moment because they’re based around the original Xbox 360 controller. You throw that away, you throw that interface away and here’s a completely different interface – now how do we create a shooter for this? Does it mean that you have to run, strafe, turn, throw grenades in the way that you’re used to? Maybe not. Maybe there’s another way of doing shooters."

He added: "You’re probably not going to get exactly the same experience that you do with a conventional controller, but that could also be a very good thing.
----
xbox.com
"No Strings (or Controllers) Attached.

Introducing Project Natal, a revolutionary new way to play: no controller required. "
----
Wiki. "Project Natal (pronounced "na-tal" (IPA: [naˈtal])) is the code name for a "controller-free gaming and entertainment experience" by Microsoft for the Xbox 360 video game platform. Based on an add-on peripheral for the Xbox 360 console, Project Natal enables users to control and interact with the Xbox 360 without the need to touch a game controller through a natural user interface using gestures, spoken commands,[1] or presented objects and images."

So yeah.. they're pretty much saying that this is a recognition controller. Anything you want to do, do it with body motion, face regognition, voice command and controller free.

As you said MAFKKA. Which takes away feel/touch from a game (as far as I know).

The whole point of realistic gaming is utilizing as many senses as possible.

Natal is a move in the right direction as far as realism goes, but it sacrifices feel as in the rumble pack or force back controllers. This feel is something I really appreciate.

Well, here's what I think the PS3 sales will be:

120,000 to 160,000 units per normal week.
Around 475,000-650,000 units per normal month.

So i'd guess the Slim will sell:

September - 675,000
October - 875,000
November - 1,600,000
December - 3,000,000

Total = 6,150,000 (last year the 360 sold 7M in the same period)
Total for the 2009 Calendar year = Roughly 10.2M
Total for Calendar 2008 = Roughly 10M

Means they would just fall short of their 13M target for the FY end.