By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
MontanaHatchet said:
What, is this like the third time ManusJustus has gotten whooped in a religious argument?

I thought the number was higher, but you are probably correct.

Around the Network
Jackson50 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
What, is this like the third time ManusJustus has gotten whooped in a religious argument?

I thought the number was higher, but you are probably correct.

Nah, it's probably higher. I'm just going by recent threads.

King of the Jews, I believe. Ask Pontius Pilate.

Actually on a side note, I've never understood why Jesus is portrayed as a white guy in the west. I mean when you consider his given ethnicity and nationality the colour of his skin would probably not be white.

It's just always puzzled me to how this came about, I mean I think everyone accepts that he is not white, but he is portrayed that way.

highwaystar101 said:
Actually on a side note, I've never understood why Jesus is portrayed as a white guy in the west. I mean when you consider his given ethnicity and nationality the colour of his skin would probably not be white.

It's just always puzzled me to how this came about, I mean I think everyone accepts that he is not white, but he is portrayed that way.

Jesus is portrayed as white because that was what people wanted to see him as. As Christianity spread to Europe, nobody in Europe wanted to believe that Jesus looked like their arch enemies (the Arabians). As such, they changed his image to something more fitting to European culture. He stills looks eccentric (long hair and beard) to keep him distinctive, but he was still made to be white and brown-haired. Most people in the west still view him like that because it's been his portrayal for a long time, and most shows (The Simpsons, Family Guy) find the depiction to have far more comedic effect. It's not going away anytime soon.

Around the Network
SciFiBoy said:
who?

id like to know more about this person before i guess at what there ethnic or religious background may have been

so...no-one knows who he was or anything about him then?

and i mean facts...not fiction...till then...the answer to the OP is "I don't know and I don't see why i should care" 

Rath said:
Not only was he Jewish, but he was black too.

Certainly not the white guy with auburn locks you see in churches today.

Hey blame Anthony Lloyd Webber.  That's why I think of judas as black.  He's not the most Christian guy out there.

SciFiBoy said:
SciFiBoy said:
who?

id like to know more about this person before i guess at what there ethnic or religious background may have been

so...no-one knows who he was or anything about him then?

and i mean facts...not fiction...till then...the answer to the OP is "I don't know and I don't see why i should care" 

What would you consider "facts".

To say there aren't any facts about jesus is to show a distinct lact of understanding of history and how it was recorded back then.

Additionally their are actually archaelogical remains of his prophets.

For example the house of Peter.

There is about as much proof for Jesus as there is... pretty much anyone from that historical time period.  As much as their is for Egyptian Pharohs and Caesers... etc.

@ ScifiBoy - I think facts seem to point that Jesus wasn't an individual but an anthropomorphic personification of a group of Jewish breakaways, in fact I once read that references to Jesus being one person only became widely used in the 2nd century.

The thing is no-one will ever know.

highwaystar101 said:
@ ScifiBoy - I think facts seem to point that Jesus wasn't an individual but an anthropomorphic personification of a group of Jewish radicals. The thing is no-one will ever know.

oic, then that should be the OP's answer then.