By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 hardware races up the charts after price cut

leo-j said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
greenmedic88 said:
So much for the well thought out theory that a $299 PS3 changes nothing.

I don't know how claimed it would have no effect whatsoever, but we still just have a day of renewed excitement. We need some more time.

You dont know? Look at any thread on the front page, and you  will end up finding posts saying "I doubt it will boost it even passed the 360", "the 360 and wii are safe this holiday season", "no way the ps3 will jump 70%" etc...

See the bolded part. Those comments are still something, and have yet to be disproven until actual sales show up (especially the middle).

But both the pro and con comments about the slim's sales are premature. We need to see the sales and financial reports (since this was designed to cut costs) to know how well it will work.

I think it will work at least in getting some moderate boosts and getting the system profitable, but I'm waiting to see if those will be the case.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure the whole point of the slim was to bring the product into profitability although I'm personally having a hard time seeing SCE doing better than merely breaking even at $299.

But if that's the case, at the very least the PS3 is no longer losing the company money on a per unit basis. I'm willing to believe that production cost per unit may be as low as $250, which still doesn't factor in distribution costs (less given the lower weight) and retailer's take. I would like to know what the wholesale price is per unit.

So that leaves profits to software sales and royalties, which has always been a part of SCE's business plan for their platforms.

Without being privy to any of the metrics or having a crystal ball, my gut tells me this stands to be SCE's best holiday season for the PS3.

greenmedic88 said:
I'm pretty sure the whole point of the slim was to bring the product into profitability although I'm personally having a hard time seeing SCE doing better than merely breaking even at $299.

But if that's the case, at the very least the PS3 is no longer losing the company money on a per unit basis. I'm willing to believe that production cost per unit may be as low as $250, which still doesn't factor in distribution costs (less given the lower weight) and retailer's take. I would like to know what the wholesale price is per unit.

So that leaves profits to software sales and royalties, which has always been a part of SCE's business plan for their platforms.

Without being privy to any of the metrics or having a crystal ball, my gut tells me this stands to be SCE's best holiday season for the PS3.

Perhaps the "phat" is, which is why it's discontinued (yes, they've said it's stopped production).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

This is good timing on Sony's part -- the recession seems to have bottomed out this summer, and the leading indicators are turning up everywhere. Videogames, when all is said and done, are one of the cheapest forms of entertainment around (measured by per hour cost: you can replay games over and over, whereas the average film lasts 2 hours). And Sony has a fantabulous software/Bluray library this holiday season -- it's going to be mass market mayhem.

leo-j said:
Update:

Amazon now limits the amount of orders people make per PS3, due to HIGH demand, and wanning stock

Ha, now thats priceless, wasn't the Wii the only thing that happened like that?... till now anyways? 

Around the Network

Quote for Amazon

"PlayStation 3 120 GB purchase limit policy
As you may know, the PlayStation 3 120 GB is in great demand, and there are shortages of this product across the U.S. In an effort to provide as many customers as possible with the opportunity to purchase PlayStation 3 120 GB, we are limiting the total number of PlayStation 3 120 GB units that can be purchased. As a result, each household may only purchase one PlayStation 3 120 GB unit."

One each guys, one each hehhe lol

Cthulhu said:
Quote for Amazon

As you may know, the PlayStation 3 120 GB is in great demand, and there are shortages of this product across the U.S. In an effort to provide as many customers as possible with the opportunity to purchase PlayStation 3 120 GB, we are limiting the total number of PlayStation 3 120 GB units that can be purchased. As a result, each household may only purchase one PlayStation 3 120 GB unit."

If i asked them nicely, ya think they'd let me stick that in my sig?

Cthulhu said:
Quote for Amazon

So... they're saying those who want to build a fort out of PS3 slims are SOoL for the holidays.

I know SCE has recently been increasing their parts orders from suppliers substantially, but I'm wondering what the actual production run for the new models will be through the end of the year. Presumably at least enough to meet their inflated 13m sales target for the year.

It seems unthinkable, but there is a small chance that the slim may actually be somewhat hard to find, if not during the holidays, then very likely over the first few weeks of release. Or maybe Amazon is receiving limited supply (most likely), or anticipating greater demand than their supply can satisfy. Amazon usually orders appropriately and matches item limits to match, so we'll see if there are any sell outs on initial stock.

^^  Indeed, Amazon was limiting Wii purchases to 3 consoles at a time back when Wii was sold out everywhere.  Now they're keeping PS3 slimline orders to 1 per household...

I wonder how long it will take for the fat stock to dry up