By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 hardware races up the charts after price cut

1 Million it shall be!

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
leo-j said:
We have seen a sales boost on retailer sites, the PS3 80gb is up to the best selling console on gamestop, and the PS3 80gb went from the 63rd place on amazon to the #7 place, and continuing to rise.

Where did you hear this, and how could something be on charts when it hasn't been a day?

http://ps-deals.com/blogs/cheap-ps3/archive/2009/08/18/ps3-slim-available-for-pre-order-at-amazon.aspx

There ya go...

I meant the gamestop part. Amazon was already linked to.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I'm surprised nobody has said it yet, so I'll say it. Amazon sales charts =/= worldwide sales chart. With that said, holy crap there is a lot of PS3 love today. Only one of my friends will be getting a PS3 (but with him getting one, I'm sure alot of my other friends will as well) and he has been a PS3 hater for awhile now.

Update:

Amazon now limits the amount of orders people make per PS3, due to HIGH demand, and wanning stock

mM

So much for the well thought out theory that a $299 PS3 changes nothing.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:

I don't know how claimed it would have no effect whatsoever, but we still just have a day of renewed excitement. We need some more time.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
greenmedic88 said:

I don't know how claimed it would have no effect whatsoever, but we still just have a day of renewed excitement. We need some more time.

You dont know? Look at any thread on the front page, and you  will end up finding posts saying "I doubt it will boost it even passed the 360", "the 360 and wii are safe this holiday season", "no way the ps3 will jump 70%" etc...

mM

I have 4 friends that today will buy phat PS3's, while 2 others will wait 2 weeks for the slim

Good thing I told them to wait

A lot of people on here post based on what they want to see or what they hope to see rather than what is most likely to actually happen.

Generally speaking it's the same people that are way too biased towards their favorite platform to maintain a reasonable amount of objectivity.

What matters in this instance, is the initial reception of both a big price reduction as well as a new model that so many are oo-ing and ah-ing over as is often the case with a redesigned exterior.

What is likely to happen is that we'll see a big explosion in sales over the next 3-4 weeks, which will taper off but remain at higher overall levels than previously at the very least, over both 2007 or 2008 sales for the same time frame at best.

The 2009 holiday season is likely to be the PS3's strongest holiday season yet due to the opening of the $299 market demographic. So look for sustained sales over the 2007 holiday season, following the introduction of the $399 40GB SKU when sales took a significant leap up.

Following into Q1 2010, I still see sales remaining at their highest levels to date for the Q1 quarter, sustained by all the delayed major Q1 soft releases.

leo-j said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
greenmedic88 said:

You dont know? Look at any thread on the front page, and you  will end up finding posts saying "I doubt it will boost it even passed the 360", "the 360 and wii are safe this holiday season", "no way the ps3 will jump 70%" etc...

These are the same guys who could be called hardcore Xbox/MS fans. Now that the reality of a $299 PS3 is here, some have been changing their tune, while others have been shifting the game to "how will MS counter a $299 slim" and the smart ones are probably keeping mum on the issue until any official statements from MS are released regarding their retail strategy for the holidays.

$299 Elite minus HDMI cables is pretty much confirmed, but still doesn't measure evenly against a $299 PS3, which I think many consumers are going to see.

Kooky "MS will drop the price of the Arcade to $149 and the Elite to $249" or "MS will include a HDD with the Arcade" predictions start to dip into the realm of the implausible.

At best, we might see a $179 Arcade for the holidays, or maybe just their typical annual two free game bundle instead. I think it's more of an issue of profit margins on each unit sold at this point rather than simply trying to match volume for the increased demand for a cheaper PS3.