By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 hardware races up the charts after price cut

SlorgNet said:
This is good timing on Sony's part -- the recession seems to have bottomed out this summer, and the leading indicators are turning up everywhere. Videogames, when all is said and done, are one of the cheapest forms of entertainment around (measured by per hour cost: you can replay games over and over, whereas the average film lasts 2 hours). And Sony has a fantabulous software/Bluray library this holiday season -- it's going to be mass market mayhem.

I'll give increased sales, but mass market just from this is wishful thinking. For one thing, Blu-ray is not mass market (neither was HD-DVD). For another, Sony needs more mass appeal in their games (achievable, just that the price drop doesn't include this).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Nice.

I love the ps3 slim. i buy it at 1. September =) YESSS

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero

wow ps3 slim already selling out

I'm almost disappointed I already have a PS3...

Anyway, this is a great time to visit VGC regularly now as the sales figures will be very fun to follow. I am very curious as to the effects of the Slim+price cut combo. 360 price drop last year I believe started off slow but really pushed 360 ahead of PS3 during the huge holidays.

Exctinting times, exciting times!

Elaine: I will never understand people

Jerry: They're the worst.

ps3 ftw

Around the Network

i know 3 people that will buy one now

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

christmas will be HUGE.

i have 6 friends getting a ps3.

Very nice for PS3. The best console is the ps3 slim.

BLU RAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and GAAAAAAAAAAAMEESSSSSSSSSSSS

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero

CaptDS9E said:
So the price drop helped sales on the first day? DUH!

Yeah..also....With the Price cut...Sony losses even more on each PS3...How many Slim will they have to sell to even out the 299/399 models?

This price drop/new model will have a short run surge and a long-run upward shift in sales.

However, it probably will not be a great long-term as many think because of several factors.
-- First, while the recession is bottoming out, unemployment is still rather high in most countries.
-- Second, how large is the pent-up demand for PS3s among the general populace (not among the Internet forum posters).
-- Third, related to that, how much long-term damage/resentment remains from Sony's original price point.
-- Fourth, the rumored Microsoft price-cut/product refocusing, if it comes, will put it on par with the PS3.
-- Fifth, we don't know what (if anything) Nintendo might do to improve its system's position. (The Big N could drop the Wii $50 tomorrow if it wanted to, putting on par with the X360 Arcade -- but it probably won't).

Just my thoughts. And if the slim restored B/C, I would be lining up for one.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV