By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 hardware races up the charts after price cut

LordTheNightKnight said:
What matters more than sales is that this new version is sold at a profit. If so, Sony... might still not make their money back, but at least they can gain some now.

SCE reports the slim production costs approximately 70% less than the original manufacturing price which has been generally estimated to be around $840 by most sources (roundabout figures). I've seen estimates as low as $690.23 (iSupply) and of course, there are estimates as high as over $1,200 (grossly inflated guesstimation).

Based on the most likely estimates, the slim could cost anywhere between $252 and $207.07 to manufacture.

I'm going to say that those +$1200 guesses were thrown out by someone who just can't consider the possibility that SCE could actually make the PS3 hardware profitable and chose to make up an initial production cost to suggest that the slim costs at least $360 to manufacture and will be sold at a greater loss than the previous 40/80GB models. Personally, I have a harder time considering that possibility.

We'll find out after SCE's Q4 finance report.

If I were a betting man, I'd go with the iSupply estimates.

Around the Network

"And so it begins"- vampire hunter D

Tridrakious said:
I wonder how many units of the Slim Amazon and Gamestop have.

PS3_ad_campaign--article_image.jpg While I'm tickled pink for Sony's new box (great price, slim profile, lower-power, etc.), I think they REALLY need to not say it does "everything" until BC is added back in.