By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 hardware races up the charts after price cut

Well it's only natural. Very sweet price point, and very enticing design. Along with great software coming, this will be Sony's best Holiday period this gen yet.

Around the Network

It's #1 at Amazon Japan now too.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_zbw_vg_videogames_more?&pf_rd_p=95606706&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=637394&pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_r=1SJWMPJC6A61439X0B89

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Oh oh, looks like PS3 fans like me were right and all those MS fanboy kids were wrong.

What a surprise...

I think the PS3 will surpass the 360 installed base in late 2010 or early 2011.

mario64 said:
Oh oh, looks like PS3 fans like me were right and all those MS fanboy kids were wrong.

What a surprise...

Now the 360 can go back to where it belongs, the last place I mean.

When do you think the PS3 will surpass the 360 installed base ? Late 2010 or early 2011 ?

X360 is going nowhere; You can bet that MS won't sit idle and see Sony take the lead. And surely Nintendo is off limits for both.

Just to add my own anecdotal evidence - two guys from my old school updated their facebook statuses last night to announce that they'd be blowing some of the university maintenance loan on the Slim when it arrives. One was a bit of a techy, but the other was certainly a very mainstream consumer.

A lot of beauty in this thread. Easy to get carried away, so I'll keep my feet firmly on the ground since I know that Microsoft will both do something small in the immediate future for damage control and something huge next Fall (Natal, etc) to attempt to swing things heavily back in their favour.

That said, it brings a tear to my eye to see Valkyria Chronicles up so high...

Around the Network

The thing is whatever MS does, it won't turn the tide now that the PS3 is finally affordable.

PS3 was outselling 360 constantly before MS price cut, there's no reason to think now it will be different, especially since there are tons of great PS3 exclusives now.

You can already buy a 360 for less than 200$ so further price cuts wouldn't help at all : everybody who wanted a 360 already has one now... That's why MS has no plan to cut the 360 price to 100$, it would just be a useless waste of money.

It's not like MS could compete with Sony in terms of exclusive quality and quantity. THAT is the main problem for them, content.

The only way they could is by buying multiple studios and make more exclusives, which they chose not to do long ago. With their business bleeding on every front (Vista, Office, Zune, browsers...) and Sony looking strong again, they won't start buying studios now, it would cost them too much.

MS plan was always to kill the PS3 as quickly as possible to benefit from Sony hesitations with the PS3, now that it clearly failed it's over.

On the long run the war is lost for them. Few studios = few great exclusives = no long run win.

Zizzla_Rachet said:
CaptDS9E said:
So the price drop helped sales on the first day? DUH!

Yeah..also....With the Price cut...Sony losses even more on each PS3...How many Slim will they have to sell to even out the 299/399 models?

You have absolutly no clue what you are talking about.

@Zizzla : Sony reduced the build costs of PS3 by 70%. They're losing nothing now, even with a 299$ price point.

PS3 slim is #1 in PREORDERS everywhere in the world now, from Amazon to Gamestop to every other shop.

Next announcement is GT5 december 2009 release date at the Tokyo Game Show.

It's over now.

Zizzla_Rachet said:
CaptDS9E said:
So the price drop helped sales on the first day? DUH!

Yeah..also....With the Price cut...Sony losses even more on each PS3...How many Slim will they have to sell to even out the 299/399 models?

refrain from biased posts when you have no information to support it. Sony stated that they were passing savings onto consumers, until you have factual data that represents that as false, that is the truth,

......And the battle begins

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!