By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 hardware races up the charts after price cut

it's already 9:37, and gamestop is already closed here.
I'll call tomorrow and find out how much they will pay for it. But I'm definitely getting that slim, and since my b-day is on the 7th, I'll be getting the new pspgo too! I'm so lucky :PPPPP

Around the Network

awesome news!!.

PS3 is now up to #7, Wii is also up o-O to number 5, PS3 slim holds its #1

mM
CGI-Quality said:
Acevil said:
CGI-Quality said:
Some of the comments in here are priceless.

Anyway, I believe the system will start to sell like mad now, good for Sony, good for the industry!

Actually Price cuts/competition are rarely good for the industry, but good for the consumer.

Um, without the consumer, how would the industry survive?

Well if you look at the long run, price competition just brings up demand for a short bit and than it goes back down to normal levels. Also consumer exists when demand exists, other ways of getting demand up besides price... price  is the quick fix and it usually cuts profitability or makes a bigger lose. Given I think sony had no choice at this point, but I don't think it was good for the industry. (again this is assuming microsoft responds with another price cut as well)

This is like crack!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Acevil said:
CGI-Quality said:
Some of the comments in here are priceless.

Anyway, I believe the system will start to sell like mad now, good for Sony, good for the industry!

Actually Price cuts/competition are rarely good for the industry, but good for the consumer.

Um, without the consumer, how would the industry survive?

That's the paradox; they need to entice us to buy by presenting goods at tempting prices (or tempting goods at high prices) but also need to squeeze enough out of us to make a (solid) profit. The consumer is the best friend and worst enemy of the industry, the latter especially so when they start making demands.

gamestop.com says the slim is coming out on the 24th is this correct?

This is a pre-order boost, not a sales boost (won't be actually sold for a month of course). Not claiming that's a bad thing, just clarifying. Plus this won't reflect on NPD charts, so even if it sells better on Amazon, we don't know how it will help in conventional retail sales.

Not claiming it won't help (I certainly think that it will), just that we don't know right now.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

It should be coming out the first week of september from what i have been reading.

Already number one , in less than a day? Didn't realise it would happen so quickly. Anyway, that´s very good for Sony. Can´t wait to see the soft and hardware sales from now.