By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Valve has no plans working on the PS3.

Avarice28 said:

The problem with the train of thought of "we do not develop on the ps3" is that you have just alienated almost 25 million people that could have been a potential sale; personally I would not buy the game if it was released later for the ps3 because of that attitude. 

Yet you seem to have no problem with third party developers voluntarily developing only on the PS3. Going by your trophy collection, you bought the following games that fit this criteria:

PixelJunk Monsters and Encore by Q-Games
Resistance 2 by Insomniac Games
Buzz: Quiz TV by Relentless Software

There might be others, but I feel I've given enough. You might have more also, since this is only your trophy enabled titles.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Onyxmeth said:
sunil247 said:
Kynes said:
A lot of the responses in this thread lack maturity or business vision. Sony developed an heterogeneous architecture, and it has consequences. This is one of them, the bad quality of the ports is another one.

Lazy ass developers not wanting to develop for the ps3 is another

Yeah! Damn those lazy ass developers not developing for both consoles like Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Q Games, Quantic Dream, Ninja Theory, Relentless Software, Slant Six Games and Eat Sleep Play. Oh and Konami not putting Metal Gear Solid 4 on 360. So damn lazy!

Yes, damn them for Sony funding their games, and therefore not making them elsewhere. And damn Kojima for making MGS4 exclusive because he believed it was only possible on the PS3, and not because "I have no plans on ever making 360 games ever"

And damn Bungie too. Damn them because they are an independent dev now, so they should put Halo ODST on the PS3. And damned Epic for having Microsoft pay for Gears.

If a company pays you to make your games, YOU ARE LAZY! CONFIRMED!

Are you trying to battle my sarcasm with counter sarcasm? I don't think it works that way. My point was that just like how these developers can voluntarily stick with one console under their own accord and not challenge themselves with multiplatform projects, for whatever their reasons, so can Valve for theirs, and that doesn't make any of them lazy.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

rapsuperstar31 said:
Never heard of Valve before this generation.

Okee-dokee.

880user088 said:
the question is : Why ?

My guess: they're PC developers. The 360's hardware is designed to be easy to port from the PC, the PS3 less so. Including the PS3 would involve expansion and possibly diluting themselves.

That's just a guess, though.

that sux i wanted L4D on the PS3 at some point

maybe some1 else will port it over soon

this news still makes me not want a 360 though

Play Me

Onyxmeth said:
Avarice28 said:

The problem with the train of thought of "we do not develop on the ps3" is that you have just alienated almost 25 million people that could have been a potential sale; personally I would not buy the game if it was released later for the ps3 because of that attitude. 

Yet you seem to have no problem with third party developers voluntarily developing only on the PS3. Going by your trophy collection, you bought the following games that fit this criteria:

PixelJunk Monsters and Encore by Q-Games
Resistance 2 by Insomniac Games
Buzz: Quiz TV by Relentless Software

There might be others, but I feel I've given enough. You might have more also, since this is only your trophy enabled titles.

Actually those trophies are from Killzone 2 and Buzz; but the funny thing is if you just take what you quoted from my post in context it does sound bias.  But read my post again and you will see that it is actually a lack of understanding why everyone thinks these guys are gaming "gods"?  I having owned the original xbox and ps2 never played any of valves games so that could be why I did not think they were a great company to begin with.  I have no problem with them not developing for the ps3, actually I could probably careless, but the problem comes when they make grandiose statements about why.  In my opinion no one cares, stay with 360/pc obviously you are doing well like this.  The voluntary one console devs have actually turned out the more compelling software this gen than any of the multi-plat devs in my opinion.  So I guess we agree then

Around the Network

If we were to judge just from the responses of PS3 owners in this thread It would seem that Valve really doesn't lose too much revenue by not producing their games on PS3. Nearly half would play the game on PC anyway, and almost the other half have absolutely no interest in Valve games. It seems like a very small minority has only a PS3, and a desire to play it.

Onyxmeth said:
BMaker11 said:
Onyxmeth said:
sunil247 said:
Kynes said:
A lot of the responses in this thread lack maturity or business vision. Sony developed an heterogeneous architecture, and it has consequences. This is one of them, the bad quality of the ports is another one.

Lazy ass developers not wanting to develop for the ps3 is another

Yeah! Damn those lazy ass developers not developing for both consoles like Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Q Games, Quantic Dream, Ninja Theory, Relentless Software, Slant Six Games and Eat Sleep Play. Oh and Konami not putting Metal Gear Solid 4 on 360. So damn lazy!

Yes, damn them for Sony funding their games, and therefore not making them elsewhere. And damn Kojima for making MGS4 exclusive because he believed it was only possible on the PS3, and not because "I have no plans on ever making 360 games ever"

And damn Bungie too. Damn them because they are an independent dev now, so they should put Halo ODST on the PS3. And damned Epic for having Microsoft pay for Gears.

If a company pays you to make your games, YOU ARE LAZY! CONFIRMED!

Are you trying to battle my sarcasm with counter sarcasm? I don't think it works that way. My point was that just like how these developers can voluntarily stick with one console under their own accord and not challenge themselves with multiplatform projects, for whatever their reasons, so can Valve for theirs, and that doesn't make any of them lazy.

MY question is WHY must a developer want to go multi-plat...it's about being happy what you're doing, and where you're at...Vale is happy as a PC developer, with the fringe of Xbox due to its similiarities...what's wrong with that?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

The problem is the console they work with. If they developed PS3 games, they would be praised ad nauseam.

Avarice28 said:
disolitude said:
This is pretty big in my books. I mean if someone said HL3 is a ps3 console exclusive, id buy a ps3 the day it comes out.

I don't think PS3 only owners know what they are missing out on here...and its probably better that way.

As far as Valve, no one here should blame them for this. Did they ever make PS2 games? I don't think so... they make PC games and since Xbox1 and 360 are dumbed down PCs, Valve can work with them in parallel.
Its like someone telling you "in order to work as a crane operator at our company you have to learn French...". Valve just doesn't want to jump through hoops like that as they have been very successful and don't need to do this. They are not a bloated studio like some of these multiplat developers...

Well I respect your comments but everyone in the world does not think that valve are gaming "gods".  I never played any of their games before, I just recently heard about the success of left 4 dead on 360/Pc.  So really I am not their target audience and I could careless if they ever release that game or any game on the ps3 in the near future.  The problem with the train of thought of "we do not develop on the ps3" is that you have just alienated almost 25 million people that could have been a potential sale; personally I would not buy the game if it was released later for the ps3 because of that attitude.  I had an xbox and I did not even buy HL2 when it released because of all the news of it being a shoddy port and now after hearing the same news about the ps3 version of HL2 I must concur that they are probably the worst developer I have ever seen this gen for console ports (IMO).

So you think that all 25 million PS3 owners are even aware of who Valve is, nevermind that they only develop for the 360 and the PC? Sounds about right...

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Kynes said:
The problem is the console they work with. If they developed PS3 games, they would be praised ad nauseam.

Meh, they already gets lots of praise for being good PC game developers.

Stop trying to sap mah developers with yer Xbox 360.