By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales (8/3 - 8/9)

hanafuda said:
peachbuggy said:
There's no way it won't reach 1M in Japan. Next week is a holiday in Japan so expect the next drop to be minimal. Also, how can you call a game a bomb after only 8 days on sale? That's far too early! Give it a chance. It really remains to be seen what Capcom's expectations of the game are and if they are satisfied with the sales. Alsoo, don't forget it's only the standalone version of the game that isn't meeting expectations. Nintendo and Capcom made mistakes and am sure they will be quick to rectify them. After all, Nintendo aren't going to miss out on sales of the Wii by not having enough bundles. Am sure they will replenish the black Wii bundles to channel ASAP.

There's a black Wii bundle?

Yes there is. Or is this sarcasm? :)

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

I still remember those people calling Rorona bombed for selling 47,456 copies first week.

I wonder what's their take on these numbers?
[WII] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Bandai Namco) - 33,000
[NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix) - 32,000

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

peachbuggy said:
Wii sports resort has not hit 1M in Japan yet but no-one is calling that a bomb.......

You cannot compare wii sports resort to monster hunter Tri though.
Wii sports resort is a collection of mini games, while monster hunter tri is a full fledged game that not only makes the best use of the hardware to date (even makes nintendo's own efforts look poor in comparison).. Monster hunter is a massive hit in Japan...

The big issue here is that the game itself is really a bomb.

Monster hunter for the psp released 3 games. All 3 of these games are incredibly similar, with very little variation between them.

I am a huge MH fan and I own all 3, but the differences are not so big.

Basically, they've been relasing upgraded versions of the same game with some changes over these 3 games, although the jump from monster hunter freedom 1 to monster hunter freedom 2 is much larger than that of 2 to 2g.

The only game monster hunter tri is set to outsell is monster hunter freedom 1.

Monster hunter 2g is barely a new game over 2, and now with a massive fan base far larger than they ever had with the ps2, and massive advertising campaigns, they get these sales? This is a whole new game.. not only that, it is the best looking and probably best game the wii has to offer.

People are calling this a bomb because this SHOULD of had an opening week larger than MHF2G, or at least close. This is the first new monster hunter game in _years_ it looks awesome, plays awesome, has awesome new monsters, new areas, weapons, everything about this game is amazing. don't even need ad-hoc. Why are the sales so low? It's no news that core games don't sell well on the wii at all, but a game like this should sell exceptionally well.

They pushed a lot out of the wii with this. It's definitely a top notch game and it deserves a lot more sales than this. I will be getting a wii when this comes out, but I highly doubt capcom will be putting another monster hunter game on the wii.

My predictions are that if this game was on the psp, it would of had an opening week of about 1.7m.

digitalentourage said:
peachbuggy said:
Wii sports resort has not hit 1M in Japan yet but no-one is calling that a bomb.......

Wii sports resort is a collection of mini games, while monster hunter tri is a full fledged game that not only makes the best use of the hardware to date (even makes nintendo's own efforts look poor in comparison).. Monster hunter is a massive hit in Japan...

Monster hunter for the psp released 3 games. All 3 of these games are incredibly similar, with very little variation between them.

Basically, they've been relasing upgraded versions of the same game with some changes over these 3 games, although the jump from monster hunter freedom 1 to monster hunter freedom 2 is much larger than that of 2 to 2g.

Monster hunter 2g is barely a new game over 2, and now with a massive fan base far larger than they ever had with the ps2, and massive advertising campaigns, they get these sales? This is a whole new game.. not only that, it is the best looking and probably best game the wii has to offer.

People are calling this a bomb because this SHOULD of had an opening week larger than MHF2G, or at least close. This is the first new monster hunter game in _years_ it looks awesome, plays awesome, has awesome new monsters, new areas, weapons, everything about this game is amazing. don't even need ad-hoc. Why are the sales so low? It's no news that core games don't sell well on the wii at all, but a game like this should sell exceptionally well.

They pushed a lot out of the wii with this. It's definitely a top notch game and it deserves a lot more sales than this. I will be getting a wii when this comes out, but I highly doubt capcom will be putting another monster hunter game on the wii.

My predictions are that if this game was on the psp, it would of had an opening week of about 1.7m.

You're serious? Wow. Well just to prove the kinda man I am. I may not agree with your opinion but I will defend your right to the death to say it...But seriously, are you for real?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

the second week number for MH3 is still respectful

the deep price cut from BIC Camera may be resulting from they overstocking it
now other retailers have to follow......

if 1 million shipment first week is Capcom and Nintendo's marketing strategy, this really costs the retailers a lot

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Around the Network

The game is not a bomb, that's a fact. However, I expected a little this week since most were using the " it's just 2 days" of sales last week.
think about it, over 560k in 2 days, and 138k the next 7 days. By that trend it's going to take awhile to sellout the first shipments of over 1 million we celebrated in this site.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
digitalentourage said:
peachbuggy said:

and i am saying give it a chance before calling it a bomb. It has only been on sale for 8 days! Metal gear solid had amazing production values yet it has already outsold that. Also part of the problem is that not enough of the bundles were supplied to the stores. I am sure that once the bundles are replenished it can only help sales. People also fail to realise that Wii games trend differently to other games, usually over time. This game will always be a flop in some peoples' eyes for their own reasons but the only people who it really matters to if it flops or not are capcom so we should perhaps wait and see what they think of sales, say after the 1st month or so.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

digitalentourage said:
peachbuggy said:

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Come on Ail, most games aren't that front loaded. Its only one or two series like Metal Gear or Final Fantasy that are. Even Dragon Quest IX didn't do 75-80% of its sales in two weeks. 2.96m in two weeks, ~3.53m through Aug 9, and its going to get to ~3.75m by the end of August, and it might leg out a couple hundred thousand more. But once it passes 3.75m, it did less than 75% of its total by week two. Monster Hunter G did 175k on Wii in two weeks and has climbed to 240k since and still sells ~1,000 or so per week at the moment, so it will get to ~250k.

65%-70% in two weeks is probably more realistic for big titles. So you should add roughly 50% of the week two total to MH3 - 721k * 1.4 to 721k * 1.5 for a realistic total. It may see better legs than MHG since the Wii base line has improved from April, but 1.0m-1.1m looks ok at the moment. No one in their right mind should have expected it to be bigger than the PSP titles, if you look back in the thread (http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=77192), from the very first post you can see we had realistic expectations - 90k Wii, 500k MH3 week one, but the game has clearly outperformed the PS2 Monster Hunter games on a smaller hw base, so Capcom has to be fairly happy. The game will do a few hundred thousand in the west I'd wager based on the performance of the PSP Freedom title (the west is reversed - the Wii game should outperform the PSP Monster Hunter). By the end of next week, some retailers probably will run out of the initial shipment (it will be around 800k out of the ~1m initial shipment) so Capcom will be able to ship more units even though some retailers will have it in stock. Realistically, then can ship up to 1.25m in Japan it looks like, and maybe 350k in the west this fiscal year. So yeah, they probably can't do the 2m projected, but ~1.6m is possible yet.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

peachbuggy said:
digitalentourage said:
peachbuggy said:

and i am saying give it a chance before calling it a bomb. It has only been on sale for 8 days! Metal gear solid had amazing production values yet it has already outsold that. Also part of the problem is that not enough of the bundles were supplied to the stores. I am sure that once the bundles are replenished it can only help sales. People also fail to realise that Wii games trend differently to other games, usually over time. This game will always be a flop in some peoples' eyes for their own reasons but the only people who it really matters to if it flops or not are capcom so we should perhaps wait and see what they think of sales, say after the 1st month or so.

absolutely, we have yet to see what kind of sales this game will have over along period of time. I think its safe to say that these are all just initial speculations. The game could move another 140k next week and continue to do so, it's possible a lot of fans are worried about the game being dumbed down on the Wii to meet the more casual userbase, but from what I've played and seen this is totally incorrect. Word of mouth might have this game contiue to sell well for weeks and weeks to come. I doubt this game will sell less than 1.5m LTD in japan, but it could of been so much more.