By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales (8/3 - 8/9)

I think Capcom will be more than pleased with 1.5M LTD. The way 3rd party titles are selling in Japan this gen, 1.5M would be very good.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

Sorry, i should have stated. CONSOLE titles.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Ail said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
People saying MH bombed really don't know what good numbers are. I think after nine days of sales, it is clear that MH3 will pass a million in Japan. Now if you go checking which games sold a million or more in Japan, you will see that this is quite an achievement, especially for a third party game on a Nintendo console.

Much more interesting would be to see the hardware numbers for this week. Aren't they out yet?

Actually with this weeks numbers it looks like it will not reach 1 million......

I expect 80k more next week and then the game will be sitting at 800k and will probably fall short of 1 millions..

I would agree with you if Capcom didn't ship more than 1 million copies to the retailers already

they will have to get rid of the inventory at any cost.  so eventually, MH3 will reach 1 million

the question is, how many more will Capcom continuously ship to the retailers?

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

It's hard to predict future MH3 sales.

It's even harder to tell whether it will reach 1m or not. I compared it with Dissidia, and Dissidia had worse first week, but better second one, and very strong third one (~100,000 IIRC). And it has yet to reach 1m in Japan.

Next week will be crucial for MH3 sales - If they only drop a little, I expect the game to reach 1m. But if Monster Hunter 3 suffers a huge drop, it will be hard.

Daileon said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
People saying MH bombed really don't know what good numbers are. I think after nine days of sales, it is clear that MH3 will pass a million in Japan. Now if you go checking which games sold a million or more in Japan, you will see that this is quite an achievement, especially for a third party game on a Nintendo console.

Much more interesting would be to see the hardware numbers for this week. Aren't they out yet?

For a NEW monster hunter game, one million is the minimum. Capcom expected to sell 2 mil this fiscal year, and considering that they will ship to Overseas only next year, I don't think that they'll achieve 1,5 mil. That is a bomb.

This is still biggest MH game on home consoles. MH1, MHG or MH2 on PS2 sold even this much. MH has only been successful on PSP. I think expectations were just too high.

Around the Network

It's hard to reach 1 million copies in one territory period. We have been spoiled with massive DS numbers in Japan, so we think it's easy.

This game will be pushed hard by Capcom, I have no doubt they will make sure this game sells over 1 million copies.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Naum said:
Arius Dion said:
So in 7 days its sold over 730k copies, but people want to sit here and call it a bomb? Even though in 7 days its outsold every third party console exclusive game in Japan? Outsold MGS4 in 7 days? And will be the first third party game in Japan to pass a million. You know, no PS3 game, third party or otherwise has acheived this feat. But MH3 is a bomb, unreal.

Duhhhh it's on the Wii what do you expect? positive comments? that's unreal... have the game been on any other console with half the sales it would have been a success.

Well D'uh... if it sold 730k on Xbox 360 that haves a little more than one million units sold in Japan we could speak of an huge achievement.

It's all about expectations. Looking at the expectations that Capcom, Nintendo, retailers and gamers had for this game, and looking at the sales of the first 2 weeks, than all i can say is this: The sales of Monster Hunter 3 did not meet expectations, FOR NOW.

I mean, the last 2 Monster Hunter games sold 892.000 and 1.439.000 copies in 2 weeks time. With that knowledge the 700.000 copies sold of Monster Hunter 3 doesn't sound like a lot. And yes, it's already the best-selling third party game in Japan, on current-gen consoles, and it will probably reach 1 million copies. BUT, if Final Fantasy XIII on the PS3 would sell 700.000 copies in 2 weeks than everybody would call it a bomb. Why? Because sales of previous Final Fantasy games give higher expectations.

I'm not saying Monter Hunter 3 bombed, it's too early to tell, but it's sales sure didn't meet my expectations. And looking at the current MH3 price at certain Japanese retailers i think we all can agree that MH3 sales of the first two weeks didn't meet their(retailers) expectations as well.

But there's somewhat of a dark side to the story here. You might recall an announcement from Capcom last week about a million in shipments for MH3. Media Create reports today that the game managed to sell just 54.36% of its stock. The Classic Controller Pro and black Wii bundles performed well, selling, respectively, 70% and upwards of 80% of their stock. But the standalone version of the game didn't even reach the 40% mark in sell-through.

Taken right from the article. It is easy to see the huge mistake made by both capcom and retailers. The initial million copy shipment forced both into a situation that they can't get out of. The bundles are probably sold out or pretty close to it. Whereas the standalone isn't selling that well. Capcom can't send another shipment out because they still have 300,000 copies still on the shell.  Seeing that the standalone copy isn't selling to expectation and fear that the stock will just sit, has forced retailers to drop price. Hopefully with the holiday and the price drop, retailers can get rid of their stock. From then on it is lesson learned and they move on. Most likely there won't be many standalones after the next couple of weeks.

It is a real shame for MH3 because this blunder will probably cost the game quite a bit.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

Daileon said:
sc94597 said:
Daileon said:
I don't know if you remember well, but the first shipment, before the launch was 1 million of units. Two weeks past launch and the game still hasn't sold it yet. For a game of the caliber of MH3 (that carried the hope of expand the hardcore audience of the Wii), it's a bomb.

Just hopes that it goes better in the Overseas.

BTW, what was the Capcom expectations?

This is funny. Monster Hunter 3 is on track to outsell all other third party home console games in Japan this generation in three weeks on the market. Not only this, but there is reason to believe that the bundles are being sold out and THAT is why sales are so low and will be low until the next shipment. This is Japan buddy, to reach a million is an amazing feat, and it will most likely hit that mark. Also don't expect anything close to this level or better in the West.  So NO the game didn't get anywhere close to bombing.

Edit: Actually it just passed Metal Gear Solid 4 as the best selling third party game on home consoles in Japan.

Different games have different expectations. MH3 was hyped, and have really great production values. It had 3 types of bundles, and a standalone version. If the costumers cannot find the bundle one, they don't care to pay a bit more to get it soon (we are talking about people that would have bought a new console only for the game, the same ones that buy new games only for a 30 minutes demo). And now there are big chains dropping 60% of the price (10 days after launch) since the game is not selling by any means (comparing to their, Capcom and stores expectations).

As I said before, it is a bomb. FOR A MH GAME.

So because it didn't meet YOUR expectations it bombed? LOL That is how we determine "bombs" now. Anyway it is the best selling console Monster Hunter, and it's a failure for the series?