By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nov 2006 Patchter: Nintendo is going to "look" like the clear winner in 07.

lolita said:
Some people here think that them=the entire world. They think that them=the center of the world... Well lemme teach you something... It isn't!

Not everyone has the money to upgrade, not everyone is interested in upgrading now, not everyone wants to spend their money on that sort of things-yes they have other needs, not everyone is a techonogeek...

I don't think that HD will be a standard anytime soon... Oh and for your information, there are HD channels and I have a SDTV and it doesn't look like crap.

QFT. When even most "HD system" owners don't actually care about HD, you can bet the mainstream public doesn't either.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
konnichiwa said:
RolStoppable said:
konnichiwa said:
Gnizmo said:
Using Patchter as your source is a seriously desperate move. He couldn't predicy the effects of gravity on a bowling ball.

Desperate maybe but he was one of the few analysts whoes thoughts become true.

Auch ein dummes Huhn findet mal ein Korn.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

True, but when Patcher said that no one believed him, Analysts were writing articles that Wii would fail.

I am not a patcher lover but he said something a year ago that became true something that at that time was non-believable.

From reading the opening post I get the impression that Pachter predicted a short lived success for the Wii based on the wrong reasons, because "it's a cheap Nintendo console". Maybe he was right that the Wii would sell well (but he for sure didn't expect it to do that well), but he doesn't really know why it's selling. His prediction was a lucky shot.

Read here why the Wii is really selling so well, "Why Wii won" posted on November 20th 2006:

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/author.php?author=8

I got the impression Patcher said that the Wii would sell for sure one year well. And that is more than the most do.

And thx for the article but their were still a lot of analysts who predicted wrong.

True his prediction was a lucky shot but that is typical for long term predicitions.

RolStoppable said:
leo-j said:
I will stay at the prediction

I will add it to my sig, if it happens im the new VGCHARTZ PREDICTION GUY!!!

The austrian football team reaching the quarter finals at Euro 2008 is much more probable than your prediction. The same is true for the Houston Texans to win the Super Bowl within the next 5 years.

I didn't know the Texans were doing that poorly.

Yeah, the Texans don't really suck anymore. They're not an elite team yet, but they're above-average in a tough division.

Edit so I can pretend like I'm not derailing the thread:

To sum up the anti-HD as an unstoppable force argument

1. Picture quality increase is slight

2. Price increase is not

3. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray offers little new content that can't be done on DVD, which was a huge step above VHS

4. The difference in price between the old and new formats is again quite large

5. HD content doesn't actually look like crap on SD

6. Graphics are important to many consumers, but not overwhelmingly so. Nintendo's hardware lineup (and their entire handheld history, in fact) proves this

The dolphins SUCK. I mean there the worst team in the planet. The HEAT are good though.

mM
Around the Network

I'm sorry... PS3 outselling Wii 2:1? Price alone will ensure that doesn't happen. I won't even get into the whole issue of Wii's mainstream appeal and PS3's (currently) poor library.

Soriku said:
HD will be mainstream in like...a lot of years. A LOT.

HD will be mainstream in the US by the end of '08.

We just recently hit the 30% adoption mark here in the States, and by the time we hit January of '09, over 50% of US homes will have HDTVs. HDTVs keep getting cheaper and cheaper, and retailers are pushing HD heavily this year, much moreso than any previous year, in the form of TVs and players.

Go into Best Buy, and you'll see stacks of unopened HDTV boxes at the front of the store, including the popular low-end Sony Bravia LCDs and Panasonic plasmas. Go to the actually TV section and you'll see more than 50 various models of HDTVs lining the walls, with Blu-Ray displays from Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic and an HD DVD display from Toshiba spread throughout the entire section. Things have never been like this before. Last year, the only HD media display was the Sony Blu-Ray display at the front of the tv section, and there were still more SDTVs than HDTVs on display. Also, last year, retailers didn't stock up on dozens of HDTVs in the hopes of selling them to consumers. Those big stacks of Bravias at the front of the stores? Non-existent last year.

And in Japan, HD adoption is even higher.

In the EU, however, I agree, HD won't be mainstream for at least 5-6 years. It's hard to find them in stores, let alone in people's houses.

Soriku said:
@making

No it won't.
Great counter-argument there. ;)

Be interesting to see how close his predictions are, tho Patcher doesn't exactly have a strong rep.

PS: There seriously needs to be a ban on sigs longer than 3 lines.

RolStoppable said:
ShastaMasta said:
RolStoppable said:
leo-j said:
I will stay at the prediction

I will add it to my sig, if it happens im the new VGCHARTZ PREDICTION GUY!!!

The austrian football team reaching the quarter finals at Euro 2008 is much more probable than your prediction. The same is true for the Houston Texans to win the Super Bowl within the next 5 years.

I didn't know the Texans were doing that poorly.

Also @Desroko:

Does it really matter how good the Texans have become? The point is that both examples I provided aren't probable to happen, but they are in the realm of possibility, while leo-j's prediction is not.

The comparison loses impact when the two examples aren't really similar. Saying something like "Andy Roddick has a better chance of beating Roger Federer in straight sets" or "Jamaica will sooner win a gold medal in bob-sledding" is better. Both are obviously not going to happen, but they're still more likely that what leo's predicting. I can't speak for the Austrian team, but the Texans example doesn't pack a lot of punch because it's not overwhelmingly, 99.99~% improbable, just improbable.