By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will another Halo game ever sell 10 million again?

Squilliam said:
selnor said:
@OP.

1. Why wouldn't PS2 owners who bought Halo 3 this gen buy again. You realise in terms of online, Halo 3 still to this day has double the average online players that Halo 2 ever did right. Which means they are still playing.

2. You seem to know very little about Halo at all. If you knew anything about Halo you would know it certainly isn't being milked. We have seen in Halo 1-3 a small part of the Halo story and universe involving Masterchiefs story after The Fall Of Reach. Any Halo fan will tell you, there is definately the best stuff yet to come. If Reach follows the book, then it will quite possibly be the highest meta game this gen.

3. You compare a single platform game with a multiplat game. If you compare COD MW2 on 360 with Halo 3, Halo absolutely kills it. Both in average Online players and in sales. So in subjective the majority of 360 gamers will rather play the better Halo series over COD.

4. Natural decline in sales happens when a series becomes stagnant. Like I said earlier the BEST of Halo is not even touched on yet. Halo Reach ( which is Halo 4 by the way ) will be an amazing game if the book is followed. Not only will battles be absolutely huge, but the story elements alot thicker. Like I said if you read it, you would know. Kids of today will see Reach and love it more than we all did with Halo 1.

5. Halo 4 ( Halo Reach ) is made by Bungie and is their last project for Halo. This is their swan song. Halo Reach will review with a bang. By far be the best Halo game and sell moe than any previous Halo game.

Halo Reach wont just sell 10 million. it will redifine Halo as people know it. The artwork will look more real, the game has a completely different engine than Halo 3 and ODST. The game will feature battles that have never before been seen on a scale in Halo before. And the game will feature numerous Spartans.

I think your outlook of Halo is wrong. That's my 2 cents.

Excellent post and I could not have put it better if I tried. Just one thing... COD MW2 isn't out yet, and you're comparing it in past/present tense. Do you mean MW1?

Yeah meant MW1. LOL. Cheers bro. Changed/ :)

Around the Network

Halo 4 definitely will (if it exists). Halo Reach is a maybe. I love how everyone is saying "Of course Reach will sell 10 million!" when for all we know it could be Halo-branded Tetris. Let's wait until we know more about it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

hellonearth said:

2. Halo is being milked and cheapened. Halo Anime, Halo Wars, Halo ODST, etc. It has lost some of it's prestigue as a top level game and has almost become somewhat of a joke to some people.

The only people to whom Halo has become a joke are people who have never played it.  The fanbase is still there, and is bigger than ever since it's still the most played game on LIVE, week after week. 

Halo: Reach has a definite chance to sell 10 million.. ODST probably will not, but I still think it will be bigger than many PS3 fans here would have us believe.

i dont know if it will sell 10 mil, but it will sell a lot and make microsoft want to keep putting more and more halo games out there. sort of like how nintendo makes mario games. some games are great and others kind of suck, but either way they sell.

Kantor said:

Halo 4 definitely will (if it exists). Halo Reach is a maybe. I love how everyone is saying "Of course Reach will sell 10 million!" when for all we know it could be Halo-branded Tetris. Let's wait until we know more about it.

are you implying tetris dosent sell? if we had proper tracking of the original it would still be the all time top selling handheld game and console game. who knows how bad ass tetris halo could be..... tetris is not just a game, but an addiction 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

Possibly, I think Halo 4 will do it.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

selnor said:

@OP.

1. Why wouldn't PS2 owners who bought Halo 3 this gen buy again. You realise in terms of online, Halo 3 still to this day has double the average online players that Halo 2 ever did right. Which means they are still playing.

2. You seem to know very little about Halo at all. If you knew anything about Halo you would know it certainly isn't being milked. We have seen in Halo 1-3 a small part of the Halo story and universe involving Masterchiefs story after The Fall Of Reach. Any Halo fan will tell you, there is definately the best stuff yet to come. If Reach follows the book, then it will quite possibly be the highest meta game this gen.

3. You compare a single platform game with a multiplat game. If you compare COD MW1 on 360 with Halo 3, Halo absolutely kills it. Both in average Online players and in sales. So in subjective the majority of 360 gamers will rather play the better Halo series over COD.

4. Natural decline in sales happens when a series becomes stagnant. Like I said earlier the BEST of Halo is not even touched on yet. Halo Reach ( which is Halo 4 by the way ) will be an amazing game if the book is followed. Not only will battles be absolutely huge, but the story elements alot thicker. Like I said if you read it, you would know. Kids of today will see Reach and love it more than we all did with Halo 1.

5. Halo 4 ( Halo Reach ) is made by Bungie and is their last project for Halo. This is their swan song. Halo Reach will review with a bang. By far be the best Halo game and sell moe than any previous Halo game.

Halo Reach wont just sell 10 million. it will redifine Halo as people know it. The artwork will look more real, the game has a completely different engine than Halo 3 and ODST. The game will feature battles that have never before been seen on a scale in Halo before. And the game will feature numerous Spartans.

Damn!!  Well said!

selnor said:

@OP.

3. You compare a single platform game with a multiplat game. If you compare COD MW1 on 360 with Halo 3, Halo absolutely kills it. Both in average Online players and in sales. So in subjective the majority of 360 gamers will rather play the better Halo series over COD.

You're making a lot of assumptions here, but I see where you are coming from. As I said, we really need to see more of Halo Reach than a one minute story teaser to have any idea how well it will sell. For all we know, it could end up sucking and send the series into a permanent decline. It could be a reasonably good game with good sales, it could redefine the genre, be a masterpiece, and sell 20 million, but until we know what it is, we can't judge.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

It's quite possible, if Microsoft keeps the Halo franchise almost synonymous with the Xbox franchise (in a good way, not a limiting way), that the premier Halo title for the next Xbox will see similar sales and a very high attach rate. For instance, I'm not a Halo fan at all, I'm not even really a big FPS fan (the last FPS I really got into was Quake 2, heh). I bought my 360 for Tales of Vesperia. Nonetheless, I picked up a copy of Halo 3 because it seemed wrong to have a 360 without that title. I don't know a single 360 owner without Halo 3.

Although, unless Halo: Reach blows everyone away and overtakes Ocarina of Time on metacritic and such, I think the only titles that could rival or beat Halo 3's sales would be a Halo 4, Halo 5, etc.

Every day that goes by, a new Halo title will need a lower and lower attach rate to sell 10 million copies.  Halo 3 launched with an attach rate of 60% or something ridiculous.  It's still at about 30%.

By the time Reach launches, there will be somewhere near 40 million 360s out as opposed to Halo 3's launch with 16 million or whatever it was.

I'd say the odds are fine that it reaches 10 million or so, provided it's a good game, of course.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?