By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan hardware sales : new low for the 360. Is the 360 dead in Japan ?

360 sales should pick up once a slurrey of rpg hits the console again, but with ff13 on ps3 this year. it will be very difficult for microsoft

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
mario64 said:
Famitsu charts this week (2009-7-13 / 2009-7-19) just showed the 360 reached a new low in hardware sales in Japan :

Microsoft :
360 : 2700

Sony :
PS2 : 5000
PS3 : 8300
PSP : 25000

Being outsold 2:1 by the old PS2 (and more than 3:1 by the much more expansive PS3) is quite sad for Microsoft.

Sony consoles outsold Microsoft consoles 14:1 this week.

Is this drought due to the lack of good exclusives since last november on 360 ?

Do you think the 360 is now dead in Japan ?

What could save it now ?

A few notes:

• This wouldn't be the lowest ever for the 360 in Japan. Only this year, if we're citing these Famitsu numbers as legit. There have litterally been dozens of weeks in 2006, 2007 and 2008 where the Xbox 360 was below 2,000 units.
  • I don't think that getting outsold 14:1 by 3 consoles combined really qualifies for anything other than rampant fanboyism.
  • If you watched the market, you'd know that the 360 hasn't had a drought of good exclusives since November. There was this game called Star Ocean IV that launched, which shot the 360 up to 25,000 hardware units sold.

Overall, the 360 is in a comparative (to this year) slump because it really hasn't had a lot of major releases lately. Magna Carta comes out in August, which should boost sales, and other games should launch in the future as well, to bolster sales.

But lets not forget: as per Media Create, the Xbox 360 yearly cume surpassed 2 of 3 years of the 360's in just 6 months and 2 weeks. It currently stands at 244,000 units (8.5k sold last week, compared to Famitsu's claims of a mere 3,000). The 360 is easily on track to surpass the Xbox's initial 2002 debut year, making it the best year ever for a Microsoft console, and easily beating out 2008's yearly cume of 322,000 HW units (it stands at 244,000 with 5 months and 2 weeks left). If you want to compare this fortune with Sony's: every Sony console is down this year, whereas Microsoft is way, way up. Of course, that's if you want to take a hard look at comparative numbers.

In the end, I really don't know what needs saved. The Xbox 360 has outsold the Xbox twice over, and is having the best year ever, almost 4 years into it's lifespan. Everyone laughed in 2006 at the possibility of the Xbox 360 even reaching 1 million units sold, and here we are above 1 million looking to finish between 1.5 and 2.0 million consoles. NATAL could even push that further if Japan finds it gimmicky enough to warrant a double-dip into motion controls.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Also, I have compiled every week of the Xbox 360's performance, as per Media Create. If you'd like to see it, use this URL:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pTLj2bA3Ha6v8H7pvGVxdPg&oid=6&output=image (by week)

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pTLj2bA3Ha6v8H7pvGVxdPg&oid=4&output=image (YTD)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

JEDE3 said:
Lord - but you did say it would...

Haha. where?

I didn't anywhere.

You yourself said

"Your point was it's plausible that MC2 will increase 360 sales. and to that I laugh at you."

Plausible and will are two different things. Now you're claiming I did?
Like I said confusing what you want to be fact with what is fact.

And if the missiles are acurate I should have said missed the point like the missile operator misses the target.
But I was right first time round

"Sighs"

So does this mean next Wednesday, when for the 36th + straight week Xbox 360 beats PS3 in sales in the US , I can make a thread saying

"Is the PS3 dead in the US? Remember, a system doesn't have to sell 0 for it to be dead"

And you honestly should not be very proud of the PS3 sales in Japan either, champ. Sony pretty much owns the japanese market, and even their flagship system can't break 10k on good weeks.

Around the Network

The post you were defending. you're guilty by association.

I don't know how Tim_Duncan's latest alternate account, mario64, hasn't gotten banned permanently yet. He still just comes on here every time with flawed logic to troll the 360.

Gibberish JED gibberish.

You made an bold claim with no proof that was inaccurate which contradicted a previous statement of yours and now you're trying to find any loop hole to save face.

Lord Flashheart said:
Gibberish JED gibberish.

You made an bold claim with no proof that was inaccurate which contradicted a previous statement of yours and now you're trying to find any loop hole to save face.

You are right, Lord.  JED is just some annoying fanboy who can't admit he made a mistake and missed the point a few pages back.  Poor guy.

Don't give me overly niche JRPG's with bad prequels as an example of a JRPG that'll boost something.

It'll be so small that it won't be even noticeable among normal sales trends... I suggest you use logic, instead of putting fanboy glasses on me or whatever.