By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Motion+ go the way of the Balance Board, Wii Speak?

trestres said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Alright how is Wii Motion Plus not being used in Wii Fit Plus or New Super Mario Bros Wii (a game that is played NES style and I'm certain the extra inch would get in the way) is it really that big of deal?

You're making a bigger fuss then need be honestly >_> hell I'd be happy for SMG2 to use it but the extent of motion controls in SMG was using the remote as a joystick to control Mario on the ball, and it is rated one of the highest games of all time. Seriously games that need motion plus will certainly use it, the ones that don't wont.

Give me one example of how NSMBW or SMG2 could use WM+ in a practical way that doesn't feel tacked on that will enhance the platforming gameplay.

I would list Wii Fit Plus in there too but that's a game that's using the unsupported balance board *rolls eyes*

I didn't ask for it to be used in games it shouldn't be used. Clearly Wii Fit+ will use the Balance Board and will be the second Wii game ever made by that can be controlled by the use of the Balance Board alone. And it's an expansion, it's just Wii Fit with some new activities, that's why it's only 20 bucks.

I also said before classic controller games or analog + buttons shouldn't require M+, because they don't even use the motion sensing capabilities of the WiiMote other than for waggle purposes, that can easily be replaced by 1 button.

The fuss I'm making is that there are no games in the near to far future that are going to use it. So it's starting to look like it will go the same way the other peripherals went, with only 1 game at launch and then the random game that supports it partially that comes 1 year later. This is not supposed to be like that, it's a new WiiMote, it's a better experience. Games like Metroid Other M, Takt of Magic, Punch-Out, Line Attack Heroes could have used it. They rushed this too fast like a counter measurement for the Sony and MS controllers and it looks like it's only purpose was that.

Why do they release peripherals they won't support for more than 1 year? Then again this is not just anoither peripheral, it's a better WiiMote. I would be clamouring for games to support it if I were you instead of inciting devs to laziness.

So you're telling me that Metroid: Other M, a game that started production in 2006 could have used the Wii MotionPlus peripheral? You are also telling me that you know that it doesn't? If the production team thinks it'd be a better game with WM+ then I'm sure they'd add it but this title has been in development for a while. All we know that is coming from Nintendo so far, are titles that either wouldn't make sense to include WM+ support or titles that were in development prior to the introduction of WM+ and so simply hasn't been looked at. Metroid: Other M (dev since 07), Super Mario Galaxy 2 (straight sequel), New Super Mario Bros Wii (would be awkward to hold and not needed), Wii Fit Plus (Balance Board title, straight sequel/upgrade)..

We also know that Pikmin 3 is coming and won't be needed.. Zelda is coming and most likely will be required (one that makes sense)

We know nothing else of Nintendo's plans at the moment.. How about a fully fledged archery shooter? Kid Icarus Wii seems to fit that bill nicely! How about online/offline multiplayer dogfights with Starfox Wii? How about PilotWings? Wii MotionPlus makes sense in these cases.. If Nintendo required the use of WM+ in all games.. well the games would most likely get lower review scores because they didn't really use the WM+ to the potential shown in Wii Sports Resort or something ridiculous like that.. People would complain more is what I'm getting at..

So give it time and WM+ support will expand.. For now, how about just sitting back and enjoying the flood of quality titles heading to Wii now.

Around the Network

Time to revisit this thread:

Wii Sports resort has been out for less than a month and here's what the M+ line up looks like so far (copied from the NHL2K10 thread):

Released:

Grand Slam Tennis (Bundled with M+ in others)
Tiger 10 (Bundled with M+)
Virtua Tennis '09
Wii Sports Resort (Bundled with M+)
Nihon Yakyuu Kikou Shounin Batting Revolution (Bundled with M+ Japan)

In production:

Red Steel 2 (Bundled with M+)
Kidz Sports - Crazy Mini Golf (motion Plus version)
Food Network: Cook or Be Cooked
Academy of Champions
Span Smasher
Gladiator A.D.
The Grinder
James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
NHL 2K10 (Bundled with M+)
Legend of Zelda Wii (Will probably be available as a bundle with M+)

Clearly not another Wii Speak :)

Anything missing here?

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

It's doing great so far.

i think it will the way of the zapper and the wii wheel

I think the support for WM+ will be there. The way they are pushing Resort through an enormous marketing campaign suggests that. I think Microsoft's idea of pushing lots of software on release of Natal would have been difficult for Nintendo to pursue. Focussing on a single title is less likely to dilute sales and make it easier to push. The real issue is that they should have titles in a little booklet that tell consumers which games are coming later for Motion Plus. For example, they could have included adverts for NMH2, Grand Slam, Tiger Woods, Red Steel 2 as well as announce a couple of titles from themselves.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Around the Network
gansito said:
i think it will the way of the zapper and the wii wheel

I think gansito is the best poster on this forum.

radioioRobert said:

Time to revisit this thread:

Wii Sports resort has been out for less than a month and here's what the M+ line up looks like so far (copied from the NHL2K10 thread):

Released:

Grand Slam Tennis (Bundled with M+ in others)
Tiger 10 (Bundled with M+)
Virtua Tennis '09
Wii Sports Resort (Bundled with M+)
Nihon Yakyuu Kikou Shounin Batting Revolution (Bundled with M+ Japan)

In production:

Red Steel 2 (Bundled with M+)
Kidz Sports - Crazy Mini Golf (motion Plus version)
Food Network: Cook or Be Cooked
Academy of Champions
Span Smasher
Gladiator A.D.
The Grinder
James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
NHL 2K10 (Bundled with M+)
Legend of Zelda Wii (Will probably be available as a bundle with M+)

Clearly not another Wii Speak :)

Anything missing here?

And at least 2.5 million WM+ in homes just going on WSR sales alone, not to mention the 200k or so in Tiger bundles, Grand Slam in EU, and all the stand alone purchases. I'd say it's at 3m already, that's a big enough userbase to develop games for already, but it will probably get Wii Fit numbers and there will be a LARGE userbase to make games for.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Lol at Food Network: Cook or be Cooked

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I think it would be a good idea to put WSR (with WM+) into the Wii bundle at it's current price, or perhaps $25 more with an extra Wiimote/M+ and nunchuck so it is totally 2 player compatible out of the box.

Then the current Wii bundle drop to $200.... so:

$200 - Wii + Wii Sports + Wiimote + nunchuck.
$275 - Wii + Wii Sports + WSR + 2*Wiimote + 2*nunchuck + 2*WM+

I think so yes, with Nintendo only considering it just another peripherals it doesn't help the matter, most developers will probably stay away with it unless given an incentive, because from their perspective it's 52 Million potential buyers, as opposed to something like 4 Million plus potential buyers that own a wii motion plus, and when your 3rd party already struggling to get great sales on the wii, this isn't exactly a great proposition.

Now one could say that they can just add a wiimotion plus with the game, but that in it's self eats away at any profits especially when they may be struggling to get the numbers they need to make decent amount of profit, so it's a risky proposition all round.

The only solution is that Nintendo take the hit on the device as a way to help developers as well as get the device into more peoples home...though Nintendo being cheap I doubt they want to take a hit for every single device....most likely they took it initially with certain 3rd parties, but after the comment about motion plus just being another peripheral and not something must have, then one can clearly see that 3rd parties aren't going to get a helping hand/incentive from Nintendo to take it up as time goes on, so all it will end up being for them as a developer is a risk....a risk some will take but most won't.