By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Motion+ go the way of the Balance Board, Wii Speak?

Destroyer_of_knights said:
I think so yes, with Nintendo only considering it just another peripherals it doesn't help the matter, most developers will probably stay away with it unless given an incentive, because from their perspective it's 52 Million potential buyers, as opposed to something like 4 Million plus potential buyers that own a wii motion plus, and when your 3rd party already struggling to get great sales on the wii, this isn't exactly a great proposition.

Now one could say that they can just add a wiimotion plus with the game, but that in it's self eats away at any profits especially when they may be struggling to get the numbers they need to make decent amount of profit, so it's a risky proposition all round.

The only solution is that Nintendo take the hit on the device as a way to help developers as well as get the device into more peoples home...though Nintendo being cheap I doubt they want to take a hit for every single device....most likely they took it initially with certain 3rd parties, but after the comment about motion plus just being another peripheral and not something must have, then one can clearly see that 3rd parties aren't going to get a helping hand/incentive from Nintendo to take it up as time goes on, so all it will end up being for them as a developer is a risk....a risk some will take but most won't.

When you say just another peripheral, are you referring to the Zapper and WiiSpeak or the balance Board?

Because the M+Seems like it's going to get even more focus and attention than the Balance board has from both Nintendo and third parties. Your argument of 52 vs 4 million could have been leveled at the balance Board, and now that little piece of hardware is chasing the PS3.  The fact that it's at around 4 million (roughest of estimates) after just a few weeks shows that the sales potential of this thing isn't limiting, but huge. 

As for Developer risk. It seems like much more of a sales pusher than a risk. So far the addition has seen 3 third party games come out at launch for it, two of which are doing very well. Games that work with the Motion + offer a hook that others can't. A realized potential of the first promises of motion gaming. Superior control. And numerous devs are already jumping on that, and at the same time being aided by the apparently cheap Nintendo. EA, Ubisoft, Take 2 and sega (did Virtua Tennis get a bundle?). Nintendo has already offered quite the hand to third parties, and with their announcement that Zelda will be M+ exclusive, they sure are doing their own part to ensure that the thing does well.

The Motion Plus is off to a thundering start and has the third party support right out of the gate. I guarantee that Red Steel 2 will be just the start of third party M+ exclusive games, and this thing is going to become far more ubiquitous than the Balance Board.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

why the hate for WM+? 3rd parties love it, media loves it, gamers love it, casuals love it... how could this fail? especially seeing as WSR is selling quite decently.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

stof said:
I think so yes, with Nintendo only considering it just another peripherals it doesn't help the matter, most developers will probably stay away with it unless given an incentive, because from their perspective it's 52 Million potential buyers, as opposed to something like 4 Million plus potential buyers that own a wii motion plus, and when your 3rd party already struggling to get great sales on the wii, this isn't exactly a great proposition.

Now one could say that they can just add a wiimotion plus with the game, but that in it's self eats away at any profits especially when they may be struggling to get the numbers they need to make decent amount of profit, so it's a risky proposition all round.

The only solution is that Nintendo take the hit on the device as a way to help developers as well as get the device into more peoples home...though Nintendo being cheap I doubt they want to take a hit for every single device....most likely they took it initially with certain 3rd parties, but after the comment about motion plus just being another peripheral and not something must have, then one can clearly see that 3rd parties aren't going to get a helping hand/incentive from Nintendo to take it up as time goes on, so all it will end up being for them as a developer is a risk....a risk some will take but most won't.

When you say just another peripheral, are you referring to the Zapper and WiiSpeak or the balance Board?

Because the M+Seems like it's going to get even more focus and attention than the Balance board has from both Nintendo and third parties. Your argument of 52 vs 4 million could have been leveled at the balance Board, and now that little piece of hardware is chasing the PS3.  The fact that it's at around 4 million (roughest of estimates) after just a few weeks shows that the sales potential of this thing isn't limiting, but huge. 

As for Developer risk. It seems like much more of a sales pusher than a risk. So far the addition has seen 3 third party games come out at launch for it, two of which are doing very well. Games that work with the Motion + offer a hook that others can't. A realized potential of the first promises of motion gaming. Superior control. And numerous devs are already jumping on that, and at the same time being aided by the apparently cheap Nintendo. EA, Ubisoft, Take 2 and sega (did Virtua Tennis get a bundle?). Nintendo has already offered quite the hand to third parties, and with their announcement that Zelda will be M+ exclusive, they sure are doing their own part to ensure that the thing does well.

The Motion Plus is off to a thundering start and has the third party support right out of the gate. I guarantee that Red Steel 2 will be just the start of third party M+ exclusive games, and this thing is going to become far more ubiquitous than the Balance Board.

And to finish off Destroyer's argument, every game that requires any Nintendo peripheral MUST come with it, obviously the shells AKA the zapper and wheel cannot be required and Wii Speak is as optional as any microphone, you don't see third party games requiring the balance board since for the first year basically Nintendo couldn't make enough stock for themselves let alone third parties then third parties also don't want their games to cost 90 dollars.  But WM+ is cheaper and faster to make and stay in stock despite being a huge item, plus it only raises game prices to 60, so you see third parties already jumping into WM+ only games like Red Steel 2.

Also might I ask where this little bit came from? "but after the comment about motion plus just being another peripheral and not something must have" I've yet to see Nintendo PR say anything like that about even the most useless of the peripherals much less one that is already a big success.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

If this is the case then what chance do the Sony mote and Natal have? They are essentially coming out to a userbase of 0. What chance will 3rd party games have using these devices then? Surely making Natal or Sony mote compatible games will be an even bigger risk then considering the higher HD dev costs?

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!