By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Motion+ go the way of the Balance Board, Wii Speak?

amp316 said:
No. Wii Motion Plus is going to go the way of the Zapper and Wii Wheel.

About 17 million Wii Wheels sold.  How is that a failure?

Around the Network
ameratsu said:
trestres said:
Balance Board is not an integral part of the Wii, you may see it as a secondary platform. M+ does enhance the capabilities of the Wii, therefore needs to be on most Wii's if we want most games to support it. When a game has multiple control schemes, it's most probable that it won't be as refined, due to restrictions the other scheme imposes.

This is an important point. Nintendo has made a habit of bundling their new shiny peripherals with complementary software that makes for an enticing package. So while someone may have no problem buying Wii Fit if they are interested in the software, the way nintendo keeps the balance board hostage by bundling it with software seems to reinforce its limited use, as seen with the abudance of fitness related balance board enabled games. The fact that Wii Fit is about the exceed the total install base of the ps3 with only a handful of worthwhile balance board enabled games out there is telling. The Balance Board is being treated by third parties like a set of rockband drums, with the software being developed for it specifically having a very narrow range in the form of fitness and lifestyle games.

In the case of M+, even if tommorow Nintendo decided every new Wiimote came integrated with M+, there are millions of legacy users with no M+. Third parties would have a bit of a tough spot, having to configure their game for regular and M+ enabled wiimotes, thereby reducing the amount of effort they are able to put into integrating M+, or any optional Nintendo peripheral for that matter. W+ is available seperately though which is a good thing as those interested in a particular M+ don't necassarily need to buy a bundle to get it. Working with the benefits that Nintendo's peripherals provide to make a more immersive game experience while still making the game work for users with just a wiimote is going to be a challange for third parties.

Absolutely, that's what I mean. They will have a divided audience, unless every game they make comes with M+ bundled, but then again, for those who already own a M+ it will be 10 dollars more expensive and could make them not buy the game. One the other hand, if the game doesn't come bundled with M+, there will be many people that will want the game, only to find out at the counter that it requires an extra peripheral that costs extra money, therefore hurting sales again.

The first bundled games will be the most successful due to no one owning M+'s yet, but when future M+ compatible games come out, will the bundled ones sell or will they end up sitting there because people already own multiple M+'s. If this is the new WiiMote, it should be coming with the Wii and somehow Nintendo should try to get many of the old users to get one. But when they make deals with games like Grand Slam Tennis or Tiger Woods PGA 2010 which only come bundled with M+ in limited quantities and in limited territories, then many will just buy the game alone, and guess what, they won't care about M+ because the game can be played without it anyways. WSR is a good game to begin with, but it's not enough. It's a hard task for them to get a M+ in every home, and with just 1 game it won't be possible, that's why I believe multiple M+ games from Nintendo themselves should have been ready for a simultaneous release. Games for all the players, not just one part of the audience.

In the future, devs will have to think "Should we do a M+ only game, or should we do a M+ compatible game that also works with the standard WiiMote?". Problems are that 1) The M+ compatibility will feel tacked on; 2) The WiiMote by it's own will feel unresponsive and broken; 3) Only one part of the audience will be able to play it if chosen to be M+ only, making devs go the way of standard WiiMote only or compatible with both.

It will seriously limit M+ potential.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Unlike Wii Wheels, Balance Boards, and the like you're more likely to see multiple Motion plus add-ons in one house, there are already 3 games to be bundled with Motion plus, with Zelda beind a likely fourth since Nintendo's deal is any game that is Motion plus only has to have it bundled and Miyamoto has confirmed that Zelda will use it after E3.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Alright how is Wii Motion Plus not being used in Wii Fit Plus or New Super Mario Bros Wii (a game that is played NES style and I'm certain the extra inch would get in the way) is it really that big of deal?

You're making a bigger fuss then need be honestly >_> hell I'd be happy for SMG2 to use it but the extent of motion controls in SMG was using the remote as a joystick to control Mario on the ball, and it is rated one of the highest games of all time. Seriously games that need motion plus will certainly use it, the ones that don't wont.

Give me one example of how NSMBW or SMG2 could use WM+ in a practical way that doesn't feel tacked on that will enhance the platforming gameplay.

I would list Wii Fit Plus in there too but that's a game that's using the unsupported balance board *rolls eyes*

I didn't ask for it to be used in games it shouldn't be used. Clearly Wii Fit+ will use the Balance Board and will be the second Wii game ever made by that can be controlled by the use of the Balance Board alone. And it's an expansion, it's just Wii Fit with some new activities, that's why it's only 20 bucks.

I also said before classic controller games or analog + buttons shouldn't require M+, because they don't even use the motion sensing capabilities of the WiiMote other than for waggle purposes, that can easily be replaced by 1 button.

The fuss I'm making is that there are no games in the near to far future that are going to use it. So it's starting to look like it will go the same way the other peripherals went, with only 1 game at launch and then the random game that supports it partially that comes 1 year later. This is not supposed to be like that, it's a new WiiMote, it's a better experience. Games like Metroid Other M, Takt of Magic, Punch-Out, Line Attack Heros could have used it. They rushed this too fast like a counter measurement for the Sony and MS controllers and it looks like it's only purpose was that.

Why do they release peripherals they won't support for more than 1 year? Then again this is not just anoither peripheral, it's a better WiiMote. I would be clamouring for games to support it if I were you instead of inciting devs to laziness.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Alright how is Wii Motion Plus not being used in Wii Fit Plus or New Super Mario Bros Wii (a game that is played NES style and I'm certain the extra inch would get in the way) is it really that big of deal?

You're making a bigger fuss then need be honestly >_> hell I'd be happy for SMG2 to use it but the extent of motion controls in SMG was using the remote as a joystick to control Mario on the ball, and it is rated one of the highest games of all time. Seriously games that need motion plus will certainly use it, the ones that don't wont.

Give me one example of how NSMBW or SMG2 could use WM+ in a practical way that doesn't feel tacked on that will enhance the platforming gameplay.

I would list Wii Fit Plus in there too but that's a game that's using the unsupported balance board *rolls eyes*

I didn't ask for it to be used in games it shouldn't be used. Clearly Wii Fit+ will use the Balance Board and will be the second Wii game ever made by that can be controlled by the use of the Balance Board alone. And it's an expansion, it's just Wii Fit with some new activities, that's why it's only 20 bucks.

I also said before classic controller games or analog + buttons shouldn't require M+, because they don't even use the motion sensing capabilities of the WiiMote other than for waggle purposes, that can easily be replaced by 1 button.

The fuss I'm making is that there are no games in the near to far future that are going to use it. So it's starting to look like it will go the same way the other peripherals went, with only 1 game at launch and then the random game that supports it partially that comes 1 year later. This is not supposed to be like that, it's a new WiiMote, it's a better experience. Games like Metroid Other M, Takt of Magic, Punch-Out, Line Attack Heros could have used it. They rushed this too fast like a counter measurement for the Sony and MS controllers and it looks like it's only purpose was that.

Why do they release peripherals they won't support for more than 1 year? Then again this is not just anoither peripheral, it's a better WiiMote. I would be clamouring for games to support it if I were you instead of inciting devs to laziness.

Uhm people whine about the Wii series and Nintendo going too casual, people whine about Nintendo not releasing their main series for the "core" crowd.

They make traditional games that don't really need motion plus and then you whine about Nintendo not supporting their peripheral... seriously dude there's some give and take here FFS.  You're wanting them to what release 5 new games at once to use Wii Motion plus or something?  Hell there's already 3 games that use it and will be more by the end of the year...

Who cares if a majority of support for the peripherals are third party? and Nintendo uses what needs to be used in their upcoming titles?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

"They will have a divided audience, unless every game they make comes with M+ bundled"

That will make gamers buy more than they need, even past four players.

Nintendo is making sure those who need it can get it in a variety of ways.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

"Who cares if a majority of support for the peripherals are third party? and Nintendo uses what needs to be used in their upcoming titles?"

And wouldn't that mean better third party support? That might be what Nintendo is after here.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Well, they may be giving 3rd parties a chance after all, but it didn't work that well second half of 2008 and first half of 2009. I can't trust 3rd parties as much as I trust Nintendo. Third parties are always complaining that they can't compete or that they don't want to be the first ones to make such things, or majority of the time making terrible shovelware.

Nintendo needs to set the example and lead the way, third parties will take years to finally accept that WM+ is indeed the new WiiMote.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Balance board has a lot of games using it around 30.

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !

@Xiao: Only 2 of them are games made for the balance board and First Party. I know 3rd parties will make games, but the original question was if Nintendo is planning to support it like previous peripherals, or will it be ready to use it in every upcoming game, barring obvious exceptions.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies